Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When do you try something else?

Rather than hijack another thread:

When or how do you decide that you should look again at what you are doing when no tweak seems to give you the results you're after?

I'm thinking in terms of (but not exclusively) baiting, presentation and techniques.

Default Re: When do you try something else?

Too often I start planning a change 10mins after putting a new rig on.
    It's a short life, enjoy every fin

I was deephooking perch when fishing worms on the bottom. That was rather upleasant. Particularly for the perch. I couldn't get the big ones either. And that was rather unpleasant for me.

So I spent hours and hours watching swedish jig- and dropshot movies on YouTube. I also posted questions on my clubforum. And learned a lot, enough to know what it was all about, the basic teqnique, what brand of rods to buy, and where to get all the bits and pieces I needed.

And it worked beyond anything I had imagined. Where I had deephooked a few pound and something perch, I now landed perch of twice that size. In wast numbers compared to before. And they were all hooked in, or close to, the lip. No more deephooking, and all were returned healthy and happy to the river.

I have had just one outing, but have grand plans for the weekend. This is going to be very, very fun.
    Better well hanged than ill wed.
    Søren Kirkegaard

Dropshot might be the answer for me to avoid the snags on the bottom?

binka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iannate View Post
    Rather than hijack another thread:

When or how do you decide that you should look again at what you are doing when no tweak seems to give you the results you're after?

I'm thinking in terms of (but not exclusively) baiting, presentation and techniques.
    My first thoughts turn to whether or not I've got the location right under those circumstances, but given that you might not have much choice about moving I would start to try more radical approaches when all the normal tweaks aren't working.

If I can't find a fish by altering depth or changing the presentation eg. from float to lead then my usual favourite port of call is the feeding, if they're not having it by gradually trying to coax them in with a steady pattern then pile it in and see if you can force them on to it.

It's a bit kill or cure but if it's already dead then there's little other consequence and every chance of the cure.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

The short answer is not nearly as often as I should !

I tend not to diversify too much and I have developed a fairly reliable Plan A and Plan B for all my waters.. These are things that I know work so it will be little alterations to that rather than something radically different. I'm not terribly innovative or a very deep thinker about my fishing except when I get really focused on something....which is not very often as I don't get out as much as I used to.

I tend to analyse things after a trip and try different things next trip rather than on the day. I can think of a few times when I've pulled a Plan D out of nowhere and its worked but not very often. Depth, hook size, bait are the obvious ones. Feeding is not my strong suit....I know I can be too cautious but that's probably a legacy of many years on the cut and its a hard habit to break.

7. Default Re: When do you try something else?

Totally depends on the trip really.
    But generally, when I'm not catching, or catching something that I'm not after.

The answer is Ian, only if others are catching and you are not, simply could be time to take a walk to another position on the water, so many times fish shoal up in certain areas for no obvious reason, prebaiting is key to generate a feeding area, rig changes, longer hooklengths in deep silt, is the bait used regularly , it may work in your favour if it isn't, could go the other way. Not all methods work on every water, you can hammer one water with one method and fail to catch anything on another, some days, nobody catches, the fish have the last say on any water that isn't overstocked and the seasons of the year with the availability of naturals can drive you mad. It worries me , when I know the fish are feeding on our bait but not taking the one on the hook, something not right and that's a real puzzler and you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by wa1115 View Post
    Dropshot might be the answer for me to avoid the snags on the bottom?
    I wouldn't count on it. You loose a lot of rigs. Remember, you fish on the bottom when dropshotting.
    Last edited by Harvey; 16-10-2015 at 15:09.
    Better well hanged than ill wed.
    Søren Kirkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by rubio View Post
    Too often I start planning a change 10mins after putting a new rig on.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    I was deephooking perch ... So I spent hours and hours watching swedish jig- and dropshot movies on YouTube.
    What made you think drop shotting was the answer Harvey?

Quote Originally Posted by binka View Post
    then my usual favourite port of call is the feeding, if they're not having it by gradually trying to coax them in with a steady pattern then pile it in and see if you can force them on to it.
    My attempts at this have usually been 'kill'; but how do you define piling it in? I often think I have half heartedly piled it in so it's finding the balance between too much or just enough to trigger a feeding spell.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
    only if others are catching and you are not
    This is always the yard stick - so to speak - but, each swim is different and may need another approach to get results.

Good discussion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast