Am I the only one who gets miffed and sulks if I lose some tackle?

The bad one

Reaction score
The older I get the more it seem to impact on me when I lose something when I’m fishing.
An example of this illogical trait was the other week, nephew want a bit of foam to pop up maggots. I had some in my boillie drill and bit box. Pretentious I know, having a hand-made drill and bit box, but lots of time on my hands and I like making things. As I opened the box a 1 mm drill bit fell out and into the grass. I gave him the some foam and went back to watching the motionless tips of the rods. I as sat there thinking, the loss of this new never used drill bit started to chew on my brain… It’s brand new never used it… what a B*****d got to find it….I’ll need it! Even though it’s been in there probably 2 years and I’ve not used yet! It’s now obsessing my every thought, to the point I’m on my hands and knees with glasses on, looking for a needle in the green haystack,
Yes I’m miffed and sulking over a 60p drill bit because I’ve lost it! The elation and sense of relief when I found it, you’d have thought I’d won the bloody lottery!

Am I on my own on this one or are you like it? And have you found the older you get the more it irks you if you lose something?

seth49

Reaction score
About three months ago,I was moving swims,when my barrow fell over as I unloaded it.
Everything went down a banking behind me into long grass and Himalayan balsam. I managed to retrieve everything I thought,then when I checked again when I got home, realised I had lost a shimano bait runner 5000' it was in a bag complete with spare spool. So back I goes following morning, searched all over couldn't find it.
So next time I go fishing me and my mate searched again, still no joy, looked again later nowt,
Waiting now for the undergrowth to die down, pretty sure no one on this fishery would pick it up and keep it, so it must still be there.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Am I on my own on this one or are you like it? And have you found the older you get the more it irks you if you lose something?

I am very much like you Phil as I hate losing anything in my tackle bag or boxes. Almost all of the contents I have had for many years and it is like losing an old friend if something disappears . . . . . . .

A couple of years back I was fishing bread punch on Britford using punches that my old friend Mark Wintle gave me a long time ago. I lost my footing on a muddy bank and tipped my bag over and a few boxes inside opened on hitting the ground. I thought I'd picked everything up but later discovered that the largest punch was . . . gone!

I searched all over but in the fading light didn't find it. I went back to that swim a few times but never found it. To say that I was miffed is an understatement, and even today recounting the tale makes me angry, at my own silliness really . . . . .

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Losing the odd "bit" doesn't bother me. I regard it asan occupational hazard and a nailed on certainty. Larger items are different. I once left my trout net at Pitsford and drove all the way back to get it. Needless to say it was nowhere to be found so I then drove all the way home again ......a round trip of about 120 miles . got in at 3 am.

That still niggles me because I know where I left it and Im pretty sure I know who picked it up and kept it. Barstid !

dann

Reaction score
I get annoyed when I get snagged up and lose a lure that has worked well for me in recent weeks, not just the cost but I feel the need to find the same or very similar as it clearly works.

I thought I had a solution to this - when I buy a new lure now, I buy 2, sometimes 3 so this doesn't happen. The only problem is I have had no luck on some of them and have 3 of the bloody things laughing at me every time I open the tackle box :rolleyes:

That and the other day I was out with my son, he normally casts in himself but as we were very close to some trees, I told him I would do it for him. Guess where his favourite float is now :wh:wh

Reaction score
I lost a size 18 Kamasan B520 spade end hook in 1986 (Kamatsu back then) at Damflask Reservoir. I've been back several times since then, sometimes to fish and not to just look for the hook, but I never found it. I still have visions of dropping it every time I tie a new one.

fishplate42

Reaction score
I thought it was just me who can't sleep for a week if I lose a hooklength :(

Okay, I get it, it is par for the course to loose the odd bit of end tackle to that BIG fish, but what really pains me is to make sacrifices to the trees and bushes. When I first started fishing just over a year ago, I spent several sessions making such offerings of feeders and floats to the trees. As time goes on I am getting a little better.

A couple of months ago, I was fishing at my favoured venue when I noticed a loop in the main line that appeared to be beyond the place where I was clipped up to on the spool. I cast the feeder out with no bait on it to get to the clip and realised it was beyond where I was clipped up. While contemplating this I unclipped and just as I did the bailiff arrived to pass the time of day and give me some welcomed advice. Now thinking about what we had just discussed I had slipped back into 'auto-fishing' mode, baited up and cast straight into the middle of the patch of rushes I had been clipped up to fall short of.

when I snapped the line, trying to free the feeder, and saw the plop of the aforementioned feeder entering the lake solo I was gutted. There was one consolation, the loop of line on the spool had sorted itself out now.

My own stupidity still grates, thanks for reminding me of it :mad:

Ralph ;)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I hate losing hooklinks. Not because they are old friends but because I hate the thought of a baited hook loose in the wild....be that up a tree or in the water. They are still fishing even though they are not connected to you. Many, many years ago I lost a maggot baited hook up a tree and watched in horror the struggles of the robin that picked up and swallowed the hook. That has always stayed with me.

I lost a hooklink on a barbel a few weeks back. I was distraught as it was my stupid fault through being too lazy to retie a knot i knew was wrong. Then Big Dave handed me it back a week or so later. He'd removed it from a barbel he'd caught and recognised it as mine. I was very relieved.

I know its often impossible but I will always try to recover a lost baited hook. I've broken a rod doing that too but I got the hook and maybe saved a small bird from a slow and painful death. It felt worth it to me.

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I hate losing hooklinks. Not because they are old friends but because I hate the thought of a baited hook loose in the wild....be that up a tree or in the water. They are still fishing even though they are not connected to you. Many, many years ago I lost a maggot baited hook up a tree and watched in horror the struggles of the robin that picked up and swallowed the hook. That has always stayed with me.

I lost a hooklink on a barbel a few weeks back. I was distraught as it was my stupid fault through being too lazy to retie a knot i knew was wrong. Then Big Dave handed me it back a week or so later. He'd removed it from a barbel he'd caught and recognised it as mine. I was very relieved.

I know its often impossible but I will always try to recover a lost baited hook. I've broken a rod doing that too but I got the hook and maybe saved a small bird from a slow and painful death. It felt worth it to me.
Who killed Cock Robin?
I, said the Sparrow,
with my bow and arrow,
I killed Cock Robin.

Who saw him die?
I, said the Fly,
with my little eye,
I saw him die.

Who caught his blood?
I, said the Fish,
with my little dish,
I caught his blood.

Who'll make the shroud?
I, said the Beetle,
with my thread and needle,
I'll make the shroud.

Who'll dig his grave?
I, said the Owl,
with my little trowel,
I'll dig his grave.

Who'll be the parson?
I, said the Rook,
with my little book,
I'll be the parson.

Who'll be the clerk?
I, said the Lark,
if it's not in the dark,
I'll be the clerk.

Who'll carry the link?
I, said the Linnet,
I'll fetch it in a minute,
I'll carry the link.

Who'll be chief mourner?
I, said the Dove,
I mourn for my love,
I'll be chief mourner.

Who'll carry the coffin?
I, said the Kite,
if it's not through the night,
I'll carry the coffin.

Who'll bear the pall?
We, said the Wren,
both the cock and the hen,
We'll bear the pall.

Who'll sing a psalm?
I, said the Thrush,
as she sat on a bush,
I'll sing a psalm.

Who'll toll the bell?
I said the Bull,
because I can pull,
I'll toll the bell.

All the birds of the air
fell a-sighing and a-sobbing,
when they heard the bell toll
for poor Cock Robin.

That bloody sparrow is a lying b****rd. Everyone and his dog knows it was Skippy.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Phil, i'm the same bud, ******' hate loosing owt! I'm always dropping split shot and spend many hours gently parting grass trying to find them.
On one occasion I bought a drennan puddle chucker float on my way to fish the prison pit. I was fishing up against the reeds at the bottom end behind the island... anyhow on my first cast the wind caught it and I hooked the reeds. When I pulled, the line broke above the float so my new float was sat there bobbing about. I re-tackled but kept glancing at the float all the time. Anyhow, I carried on fishing but all the time the float was in my view! I finally lost it and I finished up strippin' off to just my underkecks and socks...left the socks on as as I was wading out between the reeds, the broken reeds where sharp and as I sunk in the mud they stabbed the soles of me feet. The mud was deeper than the water! I just managed to reach the float without the end of me tool getting wet, I was happy about that as I didn't want any of those amazon type fish swimming up it LOL.
That night my feet were itchin' and stinging so bad (through the reeds cuttuing them) I had to smear sudacream antiseptic incase of infections. I think the reeds had left little splinters in my feet.....all that for a ******' £1.80 float.

terry m

Reaction score
Same as others, I get very irked when I lose something. Especially if it is something I have had for ages and have become attached to.

flightliner

Reaction score
The older I get the more it seem to impact on me when I lose something when I’m fishing.
An example of this illogical trait was the other week, nephew want a bit of foam to pop up maggots. I had some in my boillie drill and bit box. Pretentious I know, having a hand-made drill and bit box, but lots of time on my hands and I like making things. As I opened the box a 1 mm drill bit fell out and into the grass. I gave him the some foam and went back to watching the motionless tips of the rods. I as sat there thinking, the loss of this new never used drill bit started to chew on my brain… It’s brand new never used it… what a B*****d got to find it….I’ll need it! Even though it’s been in there probably 2 years and I’ve not used yet! It’s now obsessing my every thought, to the point I’m on my hands and knees with glasses on, looking for a needle in the green haystack,
Yes I’m miffed and sulking over a 60p drill bit because I’ve lost it! The elation and sense of relief when I found it, you’d have thought I’d won the bloody lottery!

Anglers up here in Yorkshire got the problem sorted years back, if they drop anything they cant find they just call in the "Time team" the local commie looks like a cratered moonscape.

john step

Reaction score
I too dislike loosing things but I am forced to be philosophical as I am a very clumsy bu**er.
One of my best farces was when I was fishing on the gravels at Collingham Weir.
I had my large bits box on my knees. You know the sort..lots of little compartments for swivels and all the other bits we collect.
For those who don't know the gravels I think the best description is a blooming sand and gritty beach.
Of course you know what is coming next...yes the lot tipped over as it fell to the ground. Bother I said. Then the tide came in before I retrieved very much:eek:mg:

sumtime

Reaction score
Years ago I pumped a lot of my own lugworm, the easiest and nearest spot was over on the Wirral.

One morning I drove through the Mersey tunnel and headed to my destination, opened the boot to find my wellies was still in our house. I was livid, booted the car and cursed all the way back through the tunnel and home for my wellies.

I hit the traffic on return to the Wirral and decided to pump half a mile short of my usual spot. As I walked onto the sand, still effing and blinding, I approached a young man digging lug, he had a short spade, one full arm and a couple of digits protruding from his other shoulder.

In his bucket lay plenty of worms, I was thoroughly humbled as he dug another worm with ease. I like to think my wellies were left at home for a reason.

A couple of years later I had just finished a fishing session again on the Wallasey side of the Mersey, threw my gear in the car after saying goodbye to my friends.

On return home I was missing a boot, the Derri Pisces moon boot, loved those boots, my thoughts went back to the young man on the beach, I shrugged my shoulders, made a cuppa, smiled and thought, I ain't got problems.

pf0x

Reaction score
I lost a little tweezer/hook-tyer all-in-one gizmo over 5 years ago and I'm still upset about it!

I had it as a kid when I started fishing. :(

I'm reminded of it EVERYTIME I tie a hook because I never tied a hook without it.

Last edited:

Harvey

Reaction score
I really hate loosing tackle.

It was a cold day in early spring a few years ago. The ice had just gone, and I had set up my chair on a thich slate of ice that the spring flood had lifted on to the bankside. I wasn't able to find soft ground for the spike, so it had to lay it on the ground.

Seeking shelter behind it, a sudden gust of wind blew the brolly straight into the river. It was floating away, with the spike pointing straight up.

I didn't think, I just jumped in. Standing to my chest in icy water, I managed to save it.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
I lost a large bread punch that just seemed to be perfect, had to buy a new set (same make and model) but they just didn't seem to be the same; guess they improved them :(

S-Kippy

Reaction score
All the birds of the air
fell a-sighing and a-sobbing,
when they heard the bell toll
for poor Cock Robin.

That bloody sparrow is a lying b****rd. Everyone and his dog knows it was Skippy.

I cannot tell a lie...it was me ! And you are a very bad man, Mr Roberts ! :D

I would like 2 other offences taken into account. Both also unintentional but somehow they never got to me quite like the robin did. :eek:mg:

B

binka

I'm having quite a run on unhooking mats just lately.

After losing one a few weeks ago (?) I then bought two decent replacements as they were going cheap but I then left one on the riverbank after an evening session last week and so I'm now back down to one again.

I might as well just be done with it and buy an outer of ten :rolleyes:

I also realised the other day that my spare Emcast 3500 spool has at some point gone walkies and not returned :rolleyes: :rolleyes: