Britain's Water Crisis

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Surely the obvious answer is to reduce surplus water into powder and then transport it by road and rail to where it is needed. A small amount of liquid added to the powder will reconstitute it back into water - problem solved.....!!

'Gets hat and coat and heads for exit......'

no-one in particular

Reaction score
To Quote Geoff-
This is probably true on a global scale but in the UK (and all western Europe) the birth rate has been declining since the 1950s. The UK population in 1965 was 50 million. Today it's 63 million despite a falling indiginous birth rate - so the growth can only be totally down to immigration.

There you go Bad One-populations reach a zenith and then decline. It happens in Western Europe and so why will it not happen in the developing world as well?. It will with certainty and I reckon long before we reach 9.1 billion in 2050. That's only 35 years away; do you really believe that?. we know what you read but what do you think!. I would be surprised if it reaches 8 billion and more than likely less. Whatever the zenith is it will also decline once reached the same as in Western Europe. A nonsensical prediction based on one set of figures without equating unique criteria that are not going to repeat themselves.

I just noticed how two people expressed fear for their children, that's why I hate this rubbish. Its no more than all those people who said the world was going to end in 2000, told me to my face, baskets. Guess what I am still here and I remind them of it every time I see them. they just avoid me now. baskets.

I know what my children and grand children will be living in, not some fictional Solent Green nightmare. Better health, diet and financial well being than me. And they wont be freezing their proverbial's off either. Great..

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
I just noticed how two people expressed fear for their children, that's why I hate this rubbish. Its no more than all those people who said the world was going to end in 2000, told me to my face, baskets. Guess what I am still here and I remind them of it every time I see them. they just avoid me now. baskets.

I am one of those people and it was my grandchildren and their children that I fear for, I see the world as a place that has changed dramatically in just my lifetime, much more invisible pollution with those responsible for removing it not doing so because of what it would cost financially, more places in this country and the world that are not safe for kids, families struggling to make ends meet working or not and those that could do something about it not caring enough to take action, more species of animal on the edge of extinction than ever before, climate changing and crops failing causing starvation, further education becoming the realm of those that can afford it, jobs in short supply compared to when I was younger, I could go on but wont.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I am one of those people and it was my grandchildren and their children that I fear for, I see the world as a place that has changed dramatically in just my lifetime, much more invisible pollution with those responsible for removing it not doing so because of what it would cost financially, more places in this country and the world that are not safe for kids, families struggling to make ends meet working or not and those that could do something about it not caring enough to take action, more species of animal on the edge of extinction than ever before, climate changing and crops failing causing starvation, further education becoming the realm of those that can afford it, jobs in short supply compared to when I was younger, I could go on but wont and you think that fearing for my grandchildren is rubbish? very insulting but.
in order for you to insult me I would have to value your opinion........... which I don't!

Sorted in Pms. Just a misunderstanding.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
Mark nice dancing on the head of pin! Geoff’s figure 63 Million btw is sort by 1.596… million and taken, I think, from the Censes 2011. The true figure is what I stated the other day

“Taking the total UK population as of June this year to 64,596,800 according to ONS figures.” Unless you’re claiming the Office of National Statistics (ONS) is wrong? After all they are statistical “scientists” aren’t they!

And why couldn’t the human population go to the figures you state? Rhetorical that one, because the answer is they are governed on this planet by the resources they have available to them food, land and water. But mathematically and access to fresh resources, another earth like planet, the human species would reach and surpass the figures you state. But not on this planet I’ll grant you and not for your reasons, but lack of resources on this planet, which you have not stated as an argument have you? Nope it was me that raised that point by saying “The resources are finite!”

Again you state that the population will not reach 9 billion but ironically it’s just been on News 24 that the 7 billionth person has been born today on this planet. Emmm!

You talk of the zenith and fall in birth rate in the developed world, which is very true and I’ve never disputed it either btw. And then attempt to use that as a justification for why you believe the global population won’t reach 8 billion. Well mate think about why the developed world’s birth rate has dropped with that thinking brain you told us about. The clue is in the badges we give to parts of the world, Developed and Developing. Now could it be down to the social structures and wealth of the developed world, which it has to put them in place and support them?
Whereas the developing world doesn’t have either. The only social structure they have is in their direct family and prodigy to support them. The larger the direct family is, the more likely you’ll have some sort of social structural cover into you dotage.
Therefore it is that need in the developing world that is driving global population growth and will take it past the 9 billion mark.

Now I don’t think you’re suggesting, that the whole of the developing world will create the wealth and put in place the social structures of the developed world in the next 35 year are you? And if your not, perhaps you tell us how that population growth is going to stop growing at the rate it is now and go into reverse.

Last edited:
B

binka

perhaps you tell us how that population growth is going to stop growing at the rate it is now and go into reverse.

Free televisions! :)

Wasn't it China that gave away free tellies to men if they had the snip way back in the 70's/80's in an attempt to hold back their booming growth in population?

It would probably have to be an iPad or iTunes voucher or something these days though.

I'll get me rods, it's time to go fishing :eek:mg:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Badone:-

I am not really bothered by populations of other planets or trying to calculate social structures in different parts of the world, its all a bit surreal for me and your trying to belittle me as well so the debate is pointless carrying on with. Good luck with it.

Last edited:
B

binka

In relation to a rather jocular earlier post it’s interesting to see as the headline on tonight's evening news that China has now lifted restrictions on its one child policy.

After decades of enforced steralisation, abortion and God knows what other breaches of basic human rights etc.!

Still, fear not they will be building our nuclear power stations... Just prey that they are better than their sofas.

And why is China doing this?

The growth of its economy in the bigger picture of its fading performance.

What an utterly sad world when conception and the introduction of human life is controlled by corporate economic factors.

Shame on them, and the UK government that is so eager to jump into bed with them.