Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Britain's Water Crisis

Here's a very interesting article from The Graun...

Britain's water crisis | Nick Davies | Environment | The Guardian

...nothing another 350,000 immigrants per year won't solve!

Default Re: Britain's Water Crisis

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Hatton 2 View Post
    Here's a very interesting article from The Graun...

Britain's water crisis | Nick Davies | Environment | The Guardian

...nothing another 350,000 immigrants per year won't solve!
    Just a thought, why cant all those migrating Africans, fill the empty spaces in Eastern Europe left by the crowd that are over here.

Nothing new, it's just been well hidden by the powers to be for many years.

What we need is underground super ressies that can store water in the north through the winter and send it down the canal sytem in the summer for us to use in the south east

China would help aus I bet

---------- Post added at 06:02 ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 ----------

Then again we don't need efficient natural resources......we all pay over the odds for them and put up with it. The energy and resource companies make a fortune which Osborne says is good for us as a country

Haven't I read on numerous occasions that we're all something like 99.9999% water? Do the French water companies have a claim on us? Perhaps we'll all be liquidized in times of drought...

This old one comes up in different forms year after year. The idea of sending water to where it is needed is great. Till they look at the costs, then as usual
    it's silence. Till the next time.! Then off we go again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Hatton 2 View Post
    Haven't I read on numerous occasions that we're all something like 99.9999% water? Do the French water companies have a claim on us? Perhaps we'll all be liquidized in times of drought...
    Cliff, it's not the shortage of water it's getting it when we need it....not saying suck an egg as you would already know.

Even in oxford we are going to spend millions sending water past us as fast as we can...god help below us

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbean1 View Post
    Nothing new, it's just been well hidden by the powers to be for many years.

What we need is underground super ressies that can store water in the north through the winter and send it down the canal sytem in the summer for us to use in the south east
    Ha ha ha! you clearly have no understanding of the geology of the north or it's own water needs and usage. I've got a better plan for you, we'll store your water in the 1000s of fracking holes we about to get, then send it to you full of all the contaminated sh!te for you to drink. That should within in 10 years sort out the over population of the southeast. But in the meantime here's something for you to drink

I don't really understand this, the last two years have seen enormous rainfalls and flooding and I thought the ground and reservoirs must be full. Every now and then we get a drought year and everyone panics and then it rains and everyone forgets about it. Same with flooding, when was the last time the Somerset Levels was in the news or discussed in Parliament, its all now more or less forgotten about.
    Rivers run low in the summer and then along comes the rain and they fill up, its natural.

I have lost all faith in these climatologists, was it the 76 drought, they were predicting in 50 years time we would be living in a semi desert, stand pipes and water rationing would be the norm, they used to run pictures in the news papers what it would be like. Panic, panic-no where near right, not even close.

The global average and combined land and ocean surface temperature, show a warming of 0.65 to 1.06°C, in the period 1880 to 2012.
    Big deal, the world is going to end, what a load of tripe.
    Just doom and gloom merchants, They are no better than old hags casting bones.
    Last edited by markg; 24-10-2015 at 06:18.

There are measures being taken in SOME places to improve supplies. Here in Dorset the water companies have been forced to stop abstracting so much from minor chalkstreams such as the Allen so they've built two reservoirs near Longham and a pipe network from what were pits near Ringwood, since deepened, to these reservoirs with piping in progress towards Blandford and Salisbury, with links between the various waterworks. I know there's been talk of a new 'super reservoir' to the west of Abingdon to help supply the Thames valley. But generally the overcrowded south east is struggling for water.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wintle View Post
    I know there's been talk of a new 'super reservoir' to the west of Abingdon to help supply the Thames valley. But generally the overcrowded south east is struggling for water.
    Forgive me Mark because I know I am a bit thick at times-What happens to all that water on the Somerset levels and the Thames last year, unprecedented flooding. I get it flows to the sea but does it fill up all the reservoirs as well, raises the water table again, I believe it was so high it was seeping into peoples houses, why is it such a problem now. And I imagine a lot of that must seep down the chalk and replenish the chalk streams reservoirs again in time. I mean its just hard to understand. water was actually coming up through the floorboards last year.
    I know we had a bit of a dry period in the summer but whats unusual about that and its been raining on and off for the last four or five weeks, It just baffles me.

---------- Post added at 08:11 ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 ----------

And here is another thought- are droughts just a vital part of nature, another way nature replenishes itself. The rivers run low, fish die, some of the stronger ones survive and they improve the general health and fitness of the population. Another chance for a species to rejuvenate itself for the future? Is that not how it works in the natural world.
    And if climate change is permanent part of it (which I doubt), should species that can survive low water, low oxygen conditions be the ones that should be allowed to survive and flourish. If our river become unsuitable for Barble say, should we fight it, can we!

---------- Post added at 08:40 ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 ----------

And we could always flood the Channel Tunnel with rain water if things do get a bit desperate., it would keep us going for a bit, it would be of more use that way anyway, might upset the French a bit but, whats new.
    Last edited by markg; 24-10-2015 at 08:44.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast