Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TRAP or TEMPT

Blog Entries

Default TRAP or TEMPT

Which do you do to catch your fish? I am restricted nowadays in what methods I can use and on rivers I am more or less left with fishing a feeder or a lead, no matter how much thought is put into this method with watercraft or ringing the changes I am of the view that its something anyone could do and that most of the skill has gone out of my fishing and all I am doing is trapping my fish. Dont get me wrong I enjoy my fishing but miss having that extra bow to my fishing.

On the other hand having sat for quite a while watching a float being used on the river with the constant moving of shot, changing the depth, varying the feed going in, the pace that the float is allowed to go through the swim so many things that can be changed and different degrees of change in all of them. I look at this method as more tempting the fish, its seeking them out and luring them into taking a bait, its more skilful than what I do and even when my health allowed I was never very good at it.

So are you a trapper or a tempter?
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Default Re: TRAP or TEMPT

The nature of my fishing dictates that I am firmly in the tempter bracket and have been what seem's like forever.

I don't see that using a bait - real or artificial - to induce a fish to eat it is anything but a temp.

I only trap fish when I use a bottle to collect minnows for perching.

I try to be a tempter but my better fish this season have unfortunately been trapped. In all honesty I'm happier just having caught them and if I hadn't used the alternative method that would probably not have happened.
    “If you find it hard to laugh at yourself, I would be happy to do it for you.”

binka Guest

A bit of both for me.

I'll be on a large pit tomorrow where it will be very much a case of putting out a bed of feed to attract and tempt the fish in, in the summer I like nothing more than rolling a single piece of meat under a likely looking overhanging tree or other feature and this is in effect my trap.

With deadbaiting my tempt would be a wobbled bait where as my trap would be a carefully placed static bait so in this case it boils down to how proactively similar methods and baits are fished.

I like trotting a float but that's mainly because I like using a centrepin reel and enjoy striking etc.
    Often legering is a more productive method and is still very enjoyable, especially if me backs playin' up ! I do prefer to use a quiver tip rod rather than a barbely type rod even when after barbel. A decent quiver tip rod has no problem in towing the larger fish in but gives me a bettter feel of the fish as it pulls back. I like using a drennan 13ft im8 super feeder as an all round tackle anything leger rod.

Quote Originally Posted by thecrow View Post

On the other hand having sat for quite a while watching a float being used on the river with the constant moving of shot, changing the depth, varying the feed going in, the pace that the float is allowed to go through the swim so many things that can be changed and different degrees of change in all of them. I look at this method as more tempting the fish, its seeking them out and luring them into taking a bait, its more skilful than what I do and even when my health allowed I was never very good at it.

So are you a trapper or a tempter?
    Funny thing is when you're doing the above it seems so natural that it's routine, and when you are in the zone feeding even when you're having lunch yourself, you realize that it's actually tempting to just sit back and soak up the surroundings at the expense of maybe tempting a few extra fish. I do envy those who sit back and watch the world go by but I know I just can't do it.

Tempting is a good word allright

I am a Gemini, so a split personality. As I do both that must make me a "Tramper". Pete
    Casternets

Blog Entries

Whatever method I deem appropriate at a given time I’m fishing.
    But isn’t introducing bait either statically as in feeder fishing or running a float down after the introduction of a handful of bait setting up a trap? Now how many atoms can you get dancing on the head of pin?

I've never really understood the whole concept of any type of angling being trapping, regardless of the method. Though I much prefer float fishing, and spend the vast majority of my fishing time doing so, I've no problem with any kind of legering should it prove to be a more appropriate method.

I'd also suggest that legering needn't be a simple case of chucking and chancing. Though I'm not particularly adept at it. I know anglers that are and I've seen the differences that ringing the changes can make. The length of a hooklink can make a big difference at times, especially, but not exclusively, in flowing water. Feed rates can be adjusted on feeders and the actual weight of the leger can make a big difference. Then there's a question of casting accuracy. Being deadly accurate can make a massive difference in all forms of legering.

Though I don't do much of it, because I don't enjoy it much, I don't see legering as inherently less skillful than float fishing. I certainly don't see it as trapping, regardless of how long a bait stays in the water waiting for a bite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast