TRAP or TEMPT

thecrow

Reaction score
Which do you do to catch your fish? I am restricted nowadays in what methods I can use and on rivers I am more or less left with fishing a feeder or a lead, no matter how much thought is put into this method with watercraft or ringing the changes I am of the view that its something anyone could do and that most of the skill has gone out of my fishing and all I am doing is trapping my fish. Dont get me wrong I enjoy my fishing but miss having that extra bow to my fishing.

On the other hand having sat for quite a while watching a float being used on the river with the constant moving of shot, changing the depth, varying the feed going in, the pace that the float is allowed to go through the swim so many things that can be changed and different degrees of change in all of them. I look at this method as more tempting the fish, its seeking them out and luring them into taking a bait, its more skilful than what I do and even when my health allowed I was never very good at it.

So are you a trapper or a tempter?

terry m

Reaction score
I don't see that using a bait - real or artificial - to induce a fish to eat it is anything but a temp.

I only trap fish when I use a bottle to collect minnows for perching.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I try to be a tempter but my better fish this season have unfortunately been trapped. In all honesty I'm happier just having caught them and if I hadn't used the alternative method that would probably not have happened.

B

binka

A bit of both for me.

I'll be on a large pit tomorrow where it will be very much a case of putting out a bed of feed to attract and tempt the fish in, in the summer I like nothing more than rolling a single piece of meat under a likely looking overhanging tree or other feature and this is in effect my trap.

With deadbaiting my tempt would be a wobbled bait where as my trap would be a carefully placed static bait so in this case it boils down to how proactively similar methods and baits are fished.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like trotting a float but that's mainly because I like using a centrepin reel and enjoy striking etc.
Often legering is a more productive method and is still very enjoyable, especially if me backs playin' up ! I do prefer to use a quiver tip rod rather than a barbely type rod even when after barbel. A decent quiver tip rod has no problem in towing the larger fish in but gives me a bettter feel of the fish as it pulls back. I like using a drennan 13ft im8 super feeder as an all round tackle anything leger rod.

theartist

Reaction score
On the other hand having sat for quite a while watching a float being used on the river with the constant moving of shot, changing the depth, varying the feed going in, the pace that the float is allowed to go through the swim so many things that can be changed and different degrees of change in all of them. I look at this method as more tempting the fish, its seeking them out and luring them into taking a bait, its more skilful than what I do and even when my health allowed I was never very good at it.

So are you a trapper or a tempter?

Funny thing is when you're doing the above it seems so natural that it's routine, and when you are in the zone feeding even when you're having lunch yourself, you realize that it's actually tempting to just sit back and soak up the surroundings at the expense of maybe tempting a few extra fish. I do envy those who sit back and watch the world go by but I know I just can't do it.

Tempting is a good word allright

bracket

Reaction score
I am a Gemini, so a split personality. As I do both that must make me a "Tramper". Pete

The bad one

Reaction score
Whatever method I deem appropriate at a given time I’m fishing.
But isn’t introducing bait either statically as in feeder fishing or running a float down after the introduction of a handful of bait setting up a trap? Now how many atoms can you get dancing on the head of pin? :D;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've never really understood the whole concept of any type of angling being trapping, regardless of the method. Though I much prefer float fishing, and spend the vast majority of my fishing time doing so, I've no problem with any kind of legering should it prove to be a more appropriate method.

I'd also suggest that legering needn't be a simple case of chucking and chancing. Though I'm not particularly adept at it. I know anglers that are and I've seen the differences that ringing the changes can make. The length of a hooklink can make a big difference at times, especially, but not exclusively, in flowing water. Feed rates can be adjusted on feeders and the actual weight of the leger can make a big difference. Then there's a question of casting accuracy. Being deadly accurate can make a massive difference in all forms of legering.

Though I don't do much of it, because I don't enjoy it much, I don't see legering as inherently less skillful than float fishing. I certainly don't see it as trapping, regardless of how long a bait stays in the water waiting for a bite.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm usually on the receiving end. I'm tempted into going fishing then trapped by the M25 !:eek:mg:

And what is with this bleeding spontaneous bongo player popping up everywhere ? Is it just me or has Spiders infected the site with the Ebongo virus ? I've had to edit the buqqers out all day long....bloody thing.:mad:

Last edited:

Morespiders

Reaction score
I'm usually on the receiving end. I'm tempted into going fishing then trapped by the M25 !:eek:mg:

And what is with this bleeding spontaneous bongo player popping up everywhere ? Is it just me or has Spiders infected the site with the Ebongo virus ? I've had to edit the buqqers out all day long....bloody thing.:mad:
Wasne me Mr Skip my post have been coming up with lots of ??????????? Marks
������������������������������������������

---------- Post added at 19:26 ---------- Previous post was at 19:24 ----------

See????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

---------- Post added at 19:26 ---------- Previous post was at 19:24 ----------

See������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������
It's Martin Gay having a larf ??????

flightliner

Reaction score
I,m with the Crow here, much as I love my fishing by whichever method the float gives me more pleasure than "the lead". Maybe as I think its a more skillfull method overall as opposed to "the lead" being a bit more of a "blunt instrument ", very very effective nontheless.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
A bit of both for me.

I'll be on a large pit tomorrow where it will be very much a case of putting out a bed of feed to attract and tempt the fish in, in the summer I like nothing more than rolling a single piece of meat under a likely looking overhanging tree or other feature and this is in effect my trap.

With deadbaiting my tempt would be a wobbled bait where as my trap would be a carefully placed static bait so in this case it boils down to how proactively similar methods and baits are fished.

And the sausage / bacon?? :D

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Both like all anglers, you have to tempt them to trap them into taking your bait.

Thats the hunting in angling your laying a trap no matter how you fish.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Agree with Ray here. Depending on the species and the water, different approaches are needed for different circumstances. Freelining a drifting bait is probably the most successful method used on my stretch but very few people use it (including me!). I guess that would be hunting/tempting.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I do not see such a big difference between legering or float fishing in "skill" terms - with float fishing the skill is more to do with precision of the set up and feeding rate etc. Landing a feeder in the same place and reading those takes on the drop etc may also be quite skillful.

In my opinion, the "lower skill" approaches involve more automated "trapping" methods that are more closely reliant upon bolt rigging or self hooking rigs.

OK, i know that most free running feeder rigs may also function as self-hooking rigs too, but i would still argue that you need to be awake/sentient and alert to hit the bites most of the time.

Last edited: