Please, tell me about fishing with bread...

fishplate42

Reaction score
I am going to have a go at fishing with bread. Unlike most, it seems, I have never tried it before. I was recently given some old tackle and among the buts and pieces were some bread punches and a press. See HERE.

Any advice would be welcome. Also, can anyone recommend a a good rod for waggler fishing for silvers at around £50.00 or less?

Ralph :)

robtherake

Reaction score
I picked up a 13ft Maver Reactorlite Match 1 for about £50 off Ebay. You'll be hard-pushed to better it with a brand-new 13 footer - it's my go-to float rod unless the fish are close in. Light, balanced, quick line pick-up, progressive anti-lock action with loads of power when you have to lean on it, but in no way is it over-powerful and brutish. What more could you want? I also have a Drennan Waggler rod (the original, and also 50 quid, second-hand) which is just as capable as the Reactorlite but has a lighter action. It's a better option if you're not expecting bullius carpio - a really sweet actioned rod. :)
Just my opinion, mind; rods are a very personal thing and everyone has their favourites.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Breads always worth learning to fish with. It catches, it is a cheap, clean, no smelly no fuss bait. It can be adulterated in so many ways to suit all the tastes of almost any fish in any situation. Probably the most adaptable bait in existence.
I love any bait that can be taken from a supermarket shelf and that's the only effort you have to put into it.
Experiment with it and you will find some fish.
If you find yourself in a water where the fish have become too wary of it, try brown bread. Not many anglers use it.

Last edited:

robertroach

Reaction score
Just one tip, from my own experience.
It can take quite a while of feeding the swim with bread (I usually use mashed bread) to get them to switch on to it.

But do not get discouraged, if you persist you will get the bigger roach on bread and it is surprising how well they take it.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips and links guys. I am now looking forward to getting out there and giving it a try.

Ralph.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
A couple of tips for the "Defrost-and-go" style of stolen quickie session: Get some good bread (Warburtons); preferably unwrap and stale it in the fridge overnight. Cut the crusts off, and soak both whites and crust strips awhile, (till floppy and wet all through)then gently press out as much water as you can without tearing the bread, lay each slice between a few thicknesses of newspaper and press under a board - a pan/kettle of water is a good weight if you can leave it a few hours; if you stick it between box and (waterproof) cushion, then tackling-up time should suffice. Do the same with the crust strips, but use a heavier weight. Unwrap, peel the paper away from each slice and wrap it in cling-film before freezing or fishing. Do the same with batches of crust-strips.
Now the cunning bit: if you can only get bites on the white slices fishing so deep that you keep fouling the bottom, slide your tell-tale shot down to about an inch above the hook and use crust - it should float above, and slightly lift, the tell-tale and avoid snagging, while giving the fish no visible clue as to its attachment to the line, which is coming up to the bait rather than down.
A slice of white and a half-slice equivalent of crust should be enough for a three hour taster session; take a second slice if chub or carp are liable to move in.

Sorry to say your punches and press are best kept as conversation pieces; without slots for the hook, the punch heads will quickly blunt them, and the Lesney does nothing the finger and thumb (and maybe a pair of scissors or a table-knife) can't; they were made to sell rather than to use. Yes, even back then.
I have a set of those punches ("Abbey"?) and keep meaning to Dremel slots into them, but the Drennan Flake punches are so good I've never bothered. Usually, though, i just pinch or thumbnail a bit off and use it ragged.

Last edited:

dann

Reaction score
I am a recent convert to bread after the threads on here.

I find it especially good when I am pushed for time, I just grab a loaf of white out the kitchen and go. No need to stop at a tackle shop on the way, no mess or smell and cheap.

Only downside is I get earache from her indoors when there is no bread for the kids sarnies on a Monday morning :wh

rubio

Reaction score
Cheap bigger punches can be easily produced from old bits of carbon pole section. I'm clumsy so I have a good supply. Worth tidying up the cutting edge with a fine file.
Try out microwaving and rolling, and overnight in a placcy bag in the fridge, and all the other many preferences different folks have and see what you like.
Fresh slices need next to nothing to work except taking out of the bag. If you're looking to be cleverer than that, definitely check out Keith Speers articles.
His advice on maggot is worth the effort many times over also.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
leave a few slices to go dry - in the fridge to dry out without going mouldy and then blitz in a blender - this makes a good ground bait - on the bank add a little water so it will stay in a feeder - then fish a piece of bread on the hook - you get the fish coming to the bread mix in the water with only your hook bait to eat

john step

Reaction score
I just use it from the bag. White or brown. All that flapping about with various procedures is unnecessary . Have a groundbait bowl handy and soak a few slices to mush and drip small finger nail size "slurps" every few minutes to get them going.

Drennan punches are very good from roach to carp size baits.

Contrary to others experiences I have found it instant. I traveled Europe for years in a caravan and bread was the easiest bait to obtain in a strange location.
Roach, rudd, carp, bream, chub, barbel etc. from little fished locations convinced me of this.

You can often get a bite on bread in the winter when nothing else works.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
My advice, to fish bread with punch you have to start on canals with a short pole. Do not try to start fishing rivers until you can get your head around Stillwater or a canal.

It's one of those baits that are **** or bust, works or it don't . Trouble is with bread is it's very filling and can kill a Stillwater peg very quick and kill it or on a river with flow the fish just follow your food down stream and know one catches them

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
While pre-soaking and pressing isn't necessary, it does give a bait that sinks - fresh tends to float and need pinching in the water-jug - and saves trying to find a shop that's open at sparrowfart...

robtherake

Reaction score
I've had quite a bit of success with multiple pieces of punched bread (4 to 6 at a time) punched-out and compressed slightly with a Seymo lunch punch in 12mm size, then hair-rigged. If it's over-compressed it'll sink, so it pays to experiment. A BB shot an inch or two behind the hook pops it up nicely, although without the shot it's buoyant enough to be fished well clear of the bottom, almost like a zig.

Never tried it on running water, but I don't see why it shouldn't work as a bottom bait or a bigger mouthful trotted for chub, say. Just another way of using bread, slightly different to the norm.

---------- Post added at 14:49 ---------- Previous post was at 14:45 ----------

While pre-soaking and pressing isn't necessary, it does give a bait that sinks - fresh tends to float and need pinching in the water-jug - and saves trying to find a shop that's open at sparrowfart...

It pays to acquire an old freezer to use solely for bait and buy up all the reduced white loaves at the supermarket so you always have a supply for feed. :)

wanderer

Reaction score
Lovely stuff, fished as flake on the hook in running water, loads of biggies, the only problem is , everything swimming loves it, good luck enjoy your mothers pride.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Thanks for all this information. It seems like the miracle bait...

With reference to buying an old freezer to store bread in, I can't see the point these days when the supermarkets are selling sliced bread for as little as 36p (Aldi) for a 800g large sliced loaf. For the amount that is used, a single loaf sound like it will last all season.

Besides, I cured the freezer 'problem' in our house. I simply told 'er-in-doors that it was okay if she wanted to put food in MY freezer. Works a treat, try it ;)

Ralph.