Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Question Please, tell me about fishing with bread...

I am going to have a go at fishing with bread. Unlike most, it seems, I have never tried it before. I was recently given some old tackle and among the buts and pieces were some bread punches and a press. See HERE.

Any advice would be welcome. Also, can anyone recommend a a good rod for waggler fishing for silvers at around £50.00 or less?

Ralph
    Hmmm... Where did that one go?

My fishing blog

Default Re: Please, tell me about fishing with bread...

Have a search for Keith Speer's article "give bread a go"
    excellent.

I picked up a 13ft Maver Reactorlite Match 1 for about £50 off Ebay. You'll be hard-pushed to better it with a brand-new 13 footer - it's my go-to float rod unless the fish are close in. Light, balanced, quick line pick-up, progressive anti-lock action with loads of power when you have to lean on it, but in no way is it over-powerful and brutish. What more could you want? I also have a Drennan Waggler rod (the original, and also 50 quid, second-hand) which is just as capable as the Reactorlite but has a lighter action. It's a better option if you're not expecting bullius carpio - a really sweet actioned rod.
    Just my opinion, mind; rods are a very personal thing and everyone has their favourites.
    "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sumtime View Post
    Have a search for Keith Speer's article "give bread a go"
    excellent.
    Or Keith's post “Wet Bread” and how to get the best out of it.

Keith Speers was a master at using bread as a bait

Keith
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Breads always worth learning to fish with. It catches, it is a cheap, clean, no smelly no fuss bait. It can be adulterated in so many ways to suit all the tastes of almost any fish in any situation. Probably the most adaptable bait in existence.
    I love any bait that can be taken from a supermarket shelf and that's the only effort you have to put into it.
    Experiment with it and you will find some fish.
    If you find yourself in a water where the fish have become too wary of it, try brown bread. Not many anglers use it.
    Last edited by markg; 17-11-2015 at 07:15.

Just one tip, from my own experience.
    It can take quite a while of feeding the swim with bread (I usually use mashed bread) to get them to switch on to it.

But do not get discouraged, if you persist you will get the bigger roach on bread and it is surprising how well they take it.

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the tips and links guys. I am now looking forward to getting out there and giving it a try.

Ralph.
    Hmmm... Where did that one go?

My fishing blog

A couple of tips for the "Defrost-and-go" style of stolen quickie session: Get some good bread (Warburtons); preferably unwrap and stale it in the fridge overnight. Cut the crusts off, and soak both whites and crust strips awhile, (till floppy and wet all through)then gently press out as much water as you can without tearing the bread, lay each slice between a few thicknesses of newspaper and press under a board - a pan/kettle of water is a good weight if you can leave it a few hours; if you stick it between box and (waterproof) cushion, then tackling-up time should suffice. Do the same with the crust strips, but use a heavier weight. Unwrap, peel the paper away from each slice and wrap it in cling-film before freezing or fishing. Do the same with batches of crust-strips.
    Now the cunning bit: if you can only get bites on the white slices fishing so deep that you keep fouling the bottom, slide your tell-tale shot down to about an inch above the hook and use crust - it should float above, and slightly lift, the tell-tale and avoid snagging, while giving the fish no visible clue as to its attachment to the line, which is coming up to the bait rather than down.
    A slice of white and a half-slice equivalent of crust should be enough for a three hour taster session; take a second slice if chub or carp are liable to move in.

Sorry to say your punches and press are best kept as conversation pieces; without slots for the hook, the punch heads will quickly blunt them, and the Lesney does nothing the finger and thumb (and maybe a pair of scissors or a table-knife) can't; they were made to sell rather than to use. Yes, even back then.
    I have a set of those punches ("Abbey"?) and keep meaning to Dremel slots into them, but the Drennan Flake punches are so good I've never bothered. Usually, though, i just pinch or thumbnail a bit off and use it ragged.
    Last edited by Alan Tyler; 17-11-2015 at 09:45. Reason: Typo

I am a recent convert to bread after the threads on here.

I find it especially good when I am pushed for time, I just grab a loaf of white out the kitchen and go. No need to stop at a tackle shop on the way, no mess or smell and cheap.

Only downside is I get earache from her indoors when there is no bread for the kids sarnies on a Monday morning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast