Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ''Wind, rain, sleet, snow, ice.''

And many of us will still go fishing. By any other yardstick this would be considered an addiction.

But where do you draw the line? For me it would be when there is no opportunity to get a bait into the water, in other words ''frozen''. When do you call a halt to your outings?

Default Re: ''Wind, rain, sleet, snow, ice.''

Wind is not my cup of tea, been there got the "T" shirt but in later life it's a no no. Rain and snow is okay with me.

Blog Entries

For me it would have to be when the edges of the venue are frozen.

In my experience over decades I'd never had a good day when it was that cold, except in Norway when Ice fishing, and that is about as boring as fishing ever gets . . . . IMHO that is.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Derek,

For me it has to be when the branches of the tree's start to break around me, in a lifetime of fishing I gave up a couple of times due to falling branches !!

Bob
    http://www.calmproductions.com/acatalog.com/ospreysg.html#aOSPREY

I think I have fished in everything, snow blizzards, and choppy seas but these days,
    pleasure fishing comes with a big P for me. It all depends on my mood if the weathers bad , it takes a lot to get me out in howling wind and rain however, i still do it occasionally. The cold I do not mind so much but it is usually shorter sessions than the summer and mainly a bit of chubbing.
    Sea fishing i have neglected a lot the last few years which is a shame as the cold winter months it is often better than coarse fishing, cod, whiting etc. Must get my beach gear out of moth balls; just might do that sometime soon.

However, generally, if its not going to be a pleasure I don't see the point.

As Bob says when the wind is breaking branches off...very dangerous.

Yesterday I did something I rarely do...I packed up about an hour earlier than normal due to conditions just getting to me.
    It seems that for the last month all I have had weather wise are soakings and high( umbrella busting) winds.

Its been S*DS law that due to family comitments the pleasant days were the ones my attendance was required and the foul weather ones I was free to fish

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hornegold View Post
    Derek,

For me it has to be when the branches of the tree's start to break around me, in a lifetime of fishing I gave up a couple of times due to falling branches !!

Bob
    I fully understand your concerns Bob, having been a victim of falling timber. That was many years ago now whilst fishing an old estate lake. I spent four weeks with my arm in a sling, a nightmare. I've avoided heavily wooded banksides during strong winds ever since.

Blog Entries

When I had to waste time at work my fishing was at the weekend, I fished no matter what all year round, of course not close season.
    Nowadays I pick my days midweek always totally dependant on conditions and rarely fish weekends.

I hate the wind.

I think someone once said there's no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing. A brisk northerly in the face will have something to say about that.

Blog Entries

Christmas day!.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast