Winter wonderland

wanderer

Reaction score
So, the carp have gone quite, the Barbel, not so slow yet, the predators will spawn shortly.Because of the mild conditions, the chub, i saw them under the weir this morning very active, Grayling, aint none round ere, the predators will spawn shortly, and me, i have packed my gear away for warmer cliimes. The weather conditions questions my actions, but generally the catch rate is not good through the colder months, so why do you bother to go out during this period of respite, personally the break renews my enthusiasm big time, chomping at the bit, doesnt the blanks wear on your confidence and durability. Maybe its just me, but it aint no pleasure freezing, what say you.

B

binka

I usually manage to remain warm throughout winter in all but the harshest conditions with some decent togs and the only issue I have is that the daylight hours just aren't long enough or I'd be out there on longer sessions.

Apart from it keeping me out of mischief I would miss the river too much if I laid up over winter, I enjoy the different challenges and seasonal species that it offers not to mention the general lack of other anglers nearby.

The mud gets me down though, damn stuff is everywhere! :)

B

binka

Mud belongs on the bankside chaps and definitely not in my garage :)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Personally I am looking forward to the last 12 weeks of the season when the weeds and reeds die down on the smaller rivers local to me. Yes it's cold and bites are scarce, but I love it. Most of these locations are overgrown and unfishable during the warmer months.

john step

Reaction score
Sorry Wanderer but I just don't get it. Well not entirely anyway.
Yes the bites are scarcer and I avoid extremes of cold and rain but there are times when its really nice out there with the right gear on. ( I bottled out today actually due to the heavy rain and as Binka says ...the mud can get you down).

I try to pick places to suit conditions. There are places I don't go while its so wet. I don't want to get the car stuck in mud a long way from assistance:eek:mg:

I do remember from one of your previous threads you work(ed) in a cold store and that probably justifiably tempers you feeling for this subject but the prospect of me not wetting a line for a long while would see me climbing the walls.

Tight lines to you when you do get out again.:)

steve2

Reaction score
I like winter fishing, the banks are empty most of the time. Yes the bites are less but the fish seem to me to be in better condition.

john step

Reaction score
I like winter fishing, the banks are empty most of the time. Yes the bites are less but the fish seem to me to be in better condition.

Steve, I used to fish the Roding near you as a kid. Great in winter. Stanford Rivers near Ongar, if memory serves correct behind the White Bear and The Woodman.
Chub, roach, pike all sorts in fact.