Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Winter wonderland

So, the carp have gone quite, the Barbel, not so slow yet, the predators will spawn shortly.Because of the mild conditions, the chub, i saw them under the weir this morning very active, Grayling, aint none round ere, the predators will spawn shortly, and me, i have packed my gear away for warmer cliimes. The weather conditions questions my actions, but generally the catch rate is not good through the colder months, so why do you bother to go out during this period of respite, personally the break renews my enthusiasm big time, chomping at the bit, doesnt the blanks wear on your confidence and durability. Maybe its just me, but it aint no pleasure freezing, what say you.

binka Guest

Default Re: Winter wonderland

I usually manage to remain warm throughout winter in all but the harshest conditions with some decent togs and the only issue I have is that the daylight hours just aren't long enough or I'd be out there on longer sessions.

Apart from it keeping me out of mischief I would miss the river too much if I laid up over winter, I enjoy the different challenges and seasonal species that it offers not to mention the general lack of other anglers nearby.

The mud gets me down though, damn stuff is everywhere!

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Quote Originally Posted by binka View Post
    The mud gets me down though, damn stuff is everywhere!
    Everywhere is it ? There's never any sign of it on your gear ! Do you have a live-in ghillie ?

Blog Entries

He never uses the same Hardy rod twice is why

binka Guest

Mud belongs on the bankside chaps and definitely not in my garage

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    Everywhere is it ? There's never any sign of it on your gear ! Do you have a live-in ghillie ?
    That's because he carries a cloth and a can of Mr Sheen with him for any photo shoot
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    I don't thing he ever gets his gear out to fish.

Has anyone seen him fishing ??

binka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thecrow View Post
    That's because he carries a cloth and a can of Mr Sheen with him for any photo shoot
    I feel I have to respond to this claim, if only to dismiss it...

---------- Post added at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Daywalker Clarke View Post
    I don't thing he ever gets his gear out to fish.

Has anyone seen him fishing ??
    Oi!

Watch it Clarkie...

Personally I am looking forward to the last 12 weeks of the season when the weeds and reeds die down on the smaller rivers local to me. Yes it's cold and bites are scarce, but I love it. Most of these locations are overgrown and unfishable during the warmer months.

Sorry Wanderer but I just don't get it. Well not entirely anyway.
    Yes the bites are scarcer and I avoid extremes of cold and rain but there are times when its really nice out there with the right gear on. ( I bottled out today actually due to the heavy rain and as Binka says ...the mud can get you down).

I try to pick places to suit conditions. There are places I don't go while its so wet. I don't want to get the car stuck in mud a long way from assistance

I do remember from one of your previous threads you work(ed) in a cold store and that probably justifiably tempers you feeling for this subject but the prospect of me not wetting a line for a long while would see me climbing the walls.

Tight lines to you when you do get out again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast