Rod and line caught or not ?

Philip

Reaction score
I caught a fish the other day that slipped the hook just before I netted it. Luckily it just hung there and allowed me to scoop it up.

I considered I had still caught it but this got me thinking…as it slipped the hook BEFORE it was in the net technically does this still rate as a rod and line capture?

I know in the grand scheme of things it makes not allot of difference but what do you think ? …I have not checked the rules but I wonder for example what the BRFC would allow a fish caught like that to be the record ?

B

binka

Not sure about the BRFC but it's happened to me a number of times over the years, nothing really of any note regarding the fish it's happened with.

I would count it, but then I count a hybrid as having caught two fish :D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Seriously....I would regard that as caught. Whether the BRFC would is another matter but they'd never know unless you told them.

I think we all know when we've genuinely caught a fish...and if we haven't then the only person we are kidding is ourselves.

ciprinus

Reaction score
if it was just a run of the mill weight and going in a keep net then yes, i would add it to the days tally.
but if it were weighed and proved to be a pb, then i would discount it, i would be so gutted but as said above, i would see no point in lying to myself. :cool:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If the hook falls out in the net it's ok, but falling out before the fish is netted just seems different somehow....simialr feeling to a foul hooked fish. Obviously it is caught but I don't know if I would count it or not...a bit of a wierd one really.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't see the issue. If a hook pops out in the net, no one would bat an eyelid. It's a bit different if the fish had never had a hook in it at all.

Philip

Reaction score
If the hook falls out in the net it's ok, but falling out before the fish is netted just seems different somehow....simialr feeling to a foul hooked fish. Obviously it is caught but I don't know if I would count it or not...a bit of a wierd one really.

Exactly...its a bit of a wierd one. I should make it clear it was not a monster so not the end of the world but still a good fish never the less & it did get me thinking.

I have had plenty of fish drop the hook in the net...no problem thats caught ...this one was literally as it was being drawn to the front draw string of the net but not actually over the net...the hook springs out but the fish (for reasons only it will ever know) just sort of sits there motionless & starts slowly sinking out of sight so I scoop it up with the net.

Not an easy one !

It sort of reminds me of when I was a kid when a days catch would be counted in numbers of fish caught ...I alway had a rule that a fish "counted" if I touched it....this was because when I was tiddler bashing some fell off as they were being swung to hand...so my rule was as long as I touched it I counted it towards the days tally.

I suppose this is the same sort of thing just I am (supposed) to be an adult now:D

Last edited:

BarryC

Reaction score
Just in the regular run of a days fishing it realy makes no difference to me. But if it was a PB I would weigh it from interest but would not go on my list.
Similarly if it was a record but then I dont think I would claim a record if I was ever lucky enough to catch one.