Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wooden float box help

I want a wooden float box but dont fancy buying one, and anyway i need something to keep me sane when i cant wet a line. Only thing is ive never really built anything in my life, i sometimes build on ecigs but that only messing with some Kanthal and cotton.

I would prefer to use hand tools, fyi. So here it is, how do i build one lol?
    What materials and tools will i need?

Default Re: Wooden float box help

Hi Mate
    I would say if you have never built anything before I would not attempt it
    while it looks any easy task its actually not that easy for someone that's not proficient at woodworking. If you want to try you will need ply wood and pine for the sides, hinges wood glue and panel pins and all the tools like saws hammers, chisels a square, rulers and that's just the basics. You make the box as a solid and cut it in half to form the two open sides. That way you get a perfect fit.

But you can buy them already made for about £10 and all you have to do is varnish or paint them. You have got to ask yourself is it worth it by the time you buy the wood and hinges it could cost near that amount.
    Just my advice anyways

Wooden Float Box 12x8 | eBay

Smile Re: Wooden float box help

Quote Originally Posted by trotter2 View Post
    Hi Mate
    I would say if you have never built anything before I would not attempt it
    while it looks any easy task its actually not that easy for someone that's not proficient at woodworking. If you want to try you will need ply wood and pine for the sides, hinges wood glue and panel pins and all the tools like saws hammers, chisels a square, rulers and that's just the basics. You make the box as a solid and cut it in half to form the two open sides. That way you get a perfect fit.

But you can buy them already made for about £10 and all you have to do is varnish or paint them. You have got to ask yourself is it worth it by the time you buy the wood and hinges it could cost near that amount.
    Just my advice anyways

Wooden Float Box 12x8 | eBay
    Oooo never saw that when i looked on ebay earlier. Think ill just get one of them and do a half decent coat of varnish. Probably best to not attempt it without woodworking experience. Rather not waste my time and money to just cock it up. Thanks alot buddy

binka Guest

Always worth keeping an eye on Ebay for things like this.

If you do buy new this guy’s worth a look before you make your mind up, slightly more expensive but a wide choice of boxes including singles, doubles and bespoke all in oak and a selection of finishes.

I’ve used him several times and they really are nice boxes, the slotted foam supplied with them is real top quality and not that horrible Middy cheap stuff…

My Hand Made Float Boxes - FISHERMANS PARADISE

If you still want a bit of a project you can ask for them to be supplied without a finish as I did and do it yourself…

I was just going to say do a ' search ' around boxes as Binka has posted some good stuff.....he beat me to it !!

Making your own is great, BUT not for the unskilled if you want a top job - and I have all the necessary tools !!

ps...Binka : Do you know of anyone who supplies the ' top quality foam ' you mentioned ? I need replacements but not if it's poor quality and really hard to tell when buying blind, so to speak..
    Last edited by Tee-Cee; 16-12-2015 at 07:07.

binka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tee-Cee View Post
    I was just going to say do a ' search ' around boxes as Binka has posted some good stuff.....he beat me to it !!

Making your own is great, BUT not for the unskilled if you want a top job - and I have all the necessary tools !!

ps...Binka : Do you know of anyone who supplies the ' top quality foam ' you mentioned ? I need replacements but not if it's poor quality and really hard to tell when buying blind, so to speak..
    I needed a couple of extra strips for mine Tee-Cee and couldn't find the better stuff anywhere so I just emailed the guy in the link, he didn't charge much and after a quick paypal transaction they were in the post to me.

I'm sure he would send you some on a similar basis if you drop him a line

gaz@fishermansparadise.co.uk

Nice boxes Binka that's the point I am making it not worth the effort when you can buy them like that for such a cheap price. I must admit I don't use a float box anymore, but if you want one those look excellent

Very nice boxes Binka, I have bookmarked the web site as I really don't NEED one but thinking about it.....it would be rude not to have one would it not?

binka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    Very nice boxes Binka, I have bookmarked the web site as I really don't NEED one but thinking about it.....it would be rude not to have one would it not?
    You know it makes sense John, after all it is Christmas

---------- Post added at 13:36 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by binka View Post
    Always worth keeping an eye on Ebay for things like this.

If you do buy new this guy’s worth a look before you make your mind up, slightly more expensive but a wide choice of boxes including singles, doubles and bespoke all in oak and a selection of finishes.

I’ve used him several times and they really are nice boxes, the slotted foam supplied with them is real top quality and not that horrible Middy cheap stuff…

My Hand Made Float Boxes - FISHERMANS PARADISE

If you still want a bit of a project you can ask for them to be supplied without a finish as I did and do it yourself…

Haha that's the neatest float boxs ive seen in my life, like seriously. Honestly it may be off tooic but i wou.d really be interested in seeing your tackle boxs lol, call it professional curiosity. Would you mind posting a few pics?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast