Fish to be euthanised to deter angling!!!!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sounds like the kind of place, and anglers, that I, and I suspect many others, if they're honest, would prefer to avoid like the plague. Whilst the removal of all the fish in the place may well alleviate some of the issues, I've got a sneaking suspicion that some current issues will remain, and they may just end up with some additional problems. Whilst I'm inclined to object to what the council proposes on principle, I'm not particularly comfortable in trying to defend the actions of the "anglers" concerned.

Shame if the fish are simply destroyed, but if they can't get a section 30 for them, what more can they really do?

tom_moran

Reaction score
That wasn't my intention at all. It's a really difficult situation and my initial reaction was to blame do gooders but having read that above document I'm not really sure there is any other option but to remove the fish in some way. As for the algae, a lake I fish on had blue green algae last year and the ea have said no movement or stocking for 3 years. So the fish can't be moved, a ban on fishing would work in a perfect world but the anglers in all the pictures don't care about the no fishing zone so why would they care about a ban? If you were in charge what would you do?

Like I said, I never meant to create a divide in anglers but not all anglers are decent people.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Like I said, I never meant to create a divide in anglers but not all anglers are decent people.

Tom, I'm not going to speak on anyone's behalf, but I suspect that it may have been your suggestion of removing just carp, singling out carp anglers, that may have rankled.

Judging by the photos I'd suggest that it isn't just carpers that are a problem. Someone fishing for carp with a pole wouldn't usually be called a carp angler.

dannyboy1

Reaction score
It did rattle me a little bit Sam yes but Tom says he didn't mean it that way so, I'm sorry for jumping on you Tom.

The end of the day theres fishermen that leave litter and line, in a park lake environment most of them are not real 'fishermen' rather teenage yobs with a can of Stella and a spiff! But the anti angling lobby won't let this rather large fact stop them from twisting it to cast a dark cloud over 'us' the real fishermen, the ones that use unhooking mats, take our tackle and litter home, help maintain fisheries and so on and so forth.

Realistically culling fish is just not on besides the fishing issue from a environmental and moral stand point.

Sent from my HP 8 G2 using Tapatalk

tom_moran

Reaction score
Yeah sorry lads, I've just heard of some bad behaviour on my own lakes from carp anglers, such as killing any fish that isn't a carp, I've witnessed them throwing each other in the Lake, having stereos on all night and leaving litter all over the place. Still I shouldn't be tarring all carpers with the same brush.

Back on topic, killing the fish is not an option imo and if there's blue green algae neither is moving them. So it needs enforcement of rules or a ban sadly. I don't see how else they are going to solve the problem

ciprinus

Reaction score
That's not half of it flightliner http://www.stgeorgenp.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/AdverseEffectsAnglingStGPark.pdf

---------- Post added at 12:18 ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 ----------

Sounds like idiot bivvy boys are to blame entirely. And the pond gets blue green algae which is possibly why the fish can't be moved. Sad to say it but the proposed action sounds like it may be the only viable option. Or they just remove the carp, may help.

take it you dont fish for carp then eh tom?? recon you sound like a relative of that stupid jumped up moggie loving old git who accosted Alan, yes he was the wrong side of the line but he held his hands up to that faux pas but then he was nothing but respectful and polite to her, AND he gave that little lad a sight that he will never forget too. exactly how any angler should behave where ever you may be.

yours respectfully an 'idiot bivvy boy' ;)

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Simple answer flush the ducks ect ect no more ducks to get caught up, and having caught several by means of the stupid quacks swimming straight thru my line they CA and be a pain in the tackle.
Of course the other side of the problem is the EE bunch they can be noise offensive or obnoxious the just like many RSPB types in many ways gobshites the....

PG....

Sent from my 8055 using Tapatalk

steve2

Reaction score
My view is a bit more controversial.

If the carp are edible why not give them to a fish market instead of just killing them and disposing of them. The other fish if not diseased could than be used to stock other local waters.
There are many anglers out there who say cull otters, cormorants, etc. but when it comes to culling fish in a water where they are causing problems it’s a different story.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The other side of the argument....

http://www.stgeorgenp.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/AdverseEffectsAnglingStGPark.pdf

I wouldn't blame anyone for disliking anglers if this is how they treat a water!

---------- Post added at 13:21 ---------- Previous post was at 13:15 ----------

take it you dont fish for carp then eh tom?? recon you sound like a relative of that stupid jumped up moggie loving old git who accosted Alan, yes he was the wrong side of the line but he held his hands up to that faux pas but then he was nothing but respectful and polite to her, AND he gave that little lad a sight that he will never forget too. exactly how any angler should behave where ever you may be.

yours respectfully an 'idiot bivvy boy' ;)

The chap in the video blatantly fished in the no fishing part of the water. When they got a fish on the other rod was nearly pulled in the water because it wasn't supervised properly!
Personally I think they were as bad (if not worse) as the old woman.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
From the above link there are numerous entries like this

’A swan had a fishing hook caught in its beak and line around its neck. The RSPCA
attended and used a boat & swan hook to catch the terrified bird. It took about an hour
and three men to catch the terrified bird. The hook was removed and the bird was
released’.

I'd have to agree no wonder others using the park are fed up

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I am not going to get into the debate of who did what,etc etc, or who is to blame.

What i will say is the council are talking rubbish regarding it being to expensive to re-locate the fish stock.

The EA would remove the fish, and maybe without charge if they were allowed to have the fish to cover he cost.

If the council want to destroy the fish, they will still need to be netted and removed, so while doing so just relocate them.

For a lake to be run down like this, you then have to look at the local council for not taking care of the lake correctly in the first place.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I am not going to get into the debate of who did what,etc etc, or who is to blame.

What i will say is the council are talking rubbish regarding it being to expensive to re-locate the fish stock.

The EA would remove the fish, and maybe without charge if they were allowed to have the fish to cover he cost.

If the council want to destroy the fish, they will still need to be netted and removed, so while doing so just relocate them.

For a lake to be run down like this, you then have to look at the local council for not taking care of the lake correctly in the first place.

I don't disagree, there are also netsmen out there that would happily take the fish as payment, or part payment, for their work. However, everything hinges on the health of the fish. If they have genuinely been health checked and found to have certain diseases, they won't get a section 30 and won't be allowed to be moved anywhere.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I don't disagree, there are also netsmen out there that would happily take the fish as payment, or part payment, for their work. However, everything hinges on the health of the fish. If they have genuinely been health checked and found to have certain diseases, they won't get a section 30 and won't be allowed to be moved anywhere.

I agree regarding section 30's, have been there and done it. Having said that, the EA won't destroy all the fish if a few have a disease that can be treated.

If that was the case, the EA may still remove the fish to a holding tank, to be treated, taking the fish as payment.

rubio

Reaction score
A park pond local to me had algal problems along these lines. No fishing took place so the other aggro wasn't part of the issue. Our council had also neglected to care for the pond and the entire bottom was covered in a deep and dirty layer of duck poo. A big clean up and many signs requesting ducks are NOT to be fed bread and life is thriving in the water.
The two issues need to be separated and both attended to if there is to be any smiles left for anyone.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Do you think we should be supporting this ? It seems like the local residents have a point and the pool attracts anti social behaviour and the worse kind of inconsiderate angler.

B

binka

Does anyone know if the lake is free fishing, I've read the original link and the park report PDF but couldn't find anything?

If it is then I think this is a case of a water possibly benefitting from some sort of club control even if the fishing rights were handed over for free, at least that way there would likely be some effective bailiffing which would enforce the no fishing area and hopefully the discarded line issue?

Personally I think that the type of angler which ignores a no fishing area is also the type of angler to ignore a no fishing at all rule and then there's the issue of enforcement for those breaking it, who's going to put the time and effort into effectively enforcing a total ban and punishing those who won't abide by it?

I reckon the club control route is the way to go.

Last edited: