Stocking Levels

rayner

Reaction score
I fish only commercials health issues forced me there. I did fish this same fishery in the early 60s, it only had two ponds then but the commercial element has now seen it expand to 5 ponds.
Not all ponds are stocked with Carp, the biggest is 10 foot deep and does not really hold as big an head of Carp as some mentioned above. there is however plenty to keep anglers busy.
I think it's really very funny that someone who fishes a venue that's x number of acres with meagre stocks of fish calling it a challenge.
To my mind there has to be an underlying reason for a grown man to sit in a tent waiting for an alarm to go off before he will get out of bed.
I mean come on they sit in a tent with the zip pulled down out of sight of rational folk doing god knows what.
I have suspicions angling is not the real reason for an individual to camp out all night or even all weekend.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
There is another angle to this Wanderer, I fish many waters without an angler on them, most wouldn't look twice, they think there's no carp in them, there are. And if they did know there were carp in them they wouldn't bother as a 20lb + fish would be rare. So they head of to the carp puddles and I get to enjoy some untouched, wild fish, in pristine condition most of the time. My best from one is 15lb carp, 9lb from a river and very nice too and one water that doesn't get looked at by any locals is one of the best roach waters locally; they just don't know it because it looks like it wouldn't be worth bothering with. So in a way this type of fishing has done me a favour. Last time I fished, not an anger in sight which is the usual and I caught a nice bag of pristine roach, not big but big enough. Are carp puddles a glass half empty or a glass half full !
You aught to look around for the waters that anglers don't fish!

wanderer

Reaction score
My holiday home was 50 yards across the river from Ecton, the only fish kill was a flood that left the giants either in the river or dead in the fields and the club gave it up a couple of seasons later, ledgering at Sywell was banned over certain lead sizes for a time for the protection of the walkers in the country park, nothing to do with the fish, and for the record, i put down no anglers, just the venues, and the allowed practices.

peytr

Reaction score
I re-read the message by TS and I must say that his feelings and opinion make sense to me, but get lost in the discussion.

Wanderer started by telling he wants to share his feelings about over stocking, mostly with carp and the subsequent trends in fishing. Take a look at what manufacturers are offering and their ‘stars anglers’ are promoting. A lot of it is aimed at commercial carp fisheries with dense stocks. How dense is another thing. I can only say I share his feelings and think he’s right when he says there can be a danger in this.

This discussion should imo not be about putting others down. Wanderer poses the question of rethinking values and that’s one of the more sensible things to say in the light of how things evolve. It invites to think about what we, anglers want to be. It's metaphorically about shooting sitting ducks or fenced in deer.

Rethinking is not a bad idea.

wanderer

Reaction score
Thank you Peytr, you understand my motives perfectly, if my views were political most people would be up in arms if someone told you to keep quite and put up with whatever, no sorry lads thats not good enough, there is a problem here, deal with it, or it will deal with you, there are elements of serious animal cruelty in some of the actions of the commys and there customers, turn a blind eye because it suits you and them, a recipe for future disaster.

thecrow

Reaction score
It would be very naïve to believe that if commercial fisheries did not exist there would be no anti angling feeling by a very small amount of people in this country, groups such as p*** have had so much success in the states that they have had to come over here to spout their rubbish. These groups are far from being lily white themselves.

These people have such extreme views that its angling in total that they are against, they are just as much against the angler that fishes commercials as they are against those that decry them.

greenie62

Reaction score
I re-read the message by TS and I must say that his feelings and opinion make sense to me, but get lost in the discussion......

Hi Peytr,
I have been following this thread but must admit confusion over this comment since I couldn't find a post from 'TS' or anyone with those initials - please clarify.
Cheers!

wanderer

Reaction score
It would be very naïve to believe that if commercial fisheries did not exist there would be no anti angling feeling by a very small amount of people in this country, groups such as p*** have had so much success in the states that they have had to come over here to spout their rubbish. These groups are far from being lily white themselves.

These people have such extreme views that its angling in total that they are against, they are just as much against the angler that fishes commercials as they are against those that decry them.
Sorry to quote you again mr Crow, but i want to enlighten you on some of my views, i am an animal lover to the enth degree, i sit fishing in a field of sheep and have heartbreaking thoughts of the fate of the lambs that give me so much pleasure with their bold curiosity. I also realise that i am a meat eating carnivore who will enjoy their taste, my great love is dogs and horses, but even our old enemy the Otter has given me some happy moments watching them. Fox hunting and country sports hold a balance in nature that replaces long gone predators and townys of the anti kind should not mess with things they do not understand, but they will if they are given enough ammunition, hence the fox hunting ban. The anti angling brigade has existed for many decades and is no import, we had run ins in the seventies with a group called CRACK, i broke my knuckles on one of their noses, he was slashing my tyres at the time, there emblem was two black gloved hands snapping a rod, they are still out there buddy joined by the anti hunting brigade, rebels without a cause. Tipping back nets of crushed fish, foul hooking, and fish gasping for oxygen in muddy ponds stuffed to the gunwales is just the stuff of their dreams, so please dont bury your head in the sand, we may all regret it.

Last edited:

Chefster

Reaction score
On the good news front,Babylon fish farm have now genetically produced a new strain of F1 carp(known as the F1 Ghost),bred purely for commercial venues,all the qualities of an F1 ,with the added muscle and fighting qualities of Ghosties:D..A beautiful looking fish,first pics in Angling Times this week,add that to F1,s,mirrors,commons,ide,chub,barbel,roach,perch,skimmers,tench,gudgeon,that are already stocked in most commercials,and that is an awful lot of variety for a muddy hole in the ground supposedly just full of carp:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:Gazza

wanderer

Reaction score
Dream on my friend, angling goes down your route, then it has no values, and that is the day i will take up birdwatching, catcher, not angler, any cost fill the net, return the bodies and go to the pub with your mates with no conscience as to the floating debris you have left behind, do what you will my friend with your easy fishing and Artificial PBs, but dont expect me to to approve, you give fishing a bad name and deprive future anglers of learning rounded skills.

Chefster

Reaction score
Dream on my friend, angling goes down your route, then it has no values, and that is the day i will take up birdwatching, catcher, not angler, any cost fill the net, return the bodies and go to the pub with your mates with no conscience as to the floating debris you have left behind, do what you will my friend with your easy fishing and Artificial PBs, but dont expect me to to approve, you give fishing a bad name and deprive future anglers of learning rounded skills.
You dont even know me,yet you make assumptions about the way i conduct myself...when i release my fish after weighing in ,i can assure you that there isnt loads of dead fish all floating around like you seem to think;),You assume i have no angling knowledge,and that i only fish commercial venues because they are easy,i was brought up on canals and rivers,and have fished them for many years,i choose not to now...coming from a man who openly admits that he uses violence,to sort issues out,i find your whole attitude totally insulting:eek:mg:

wanderer

Reaction score
Seek as you find my friend, if you want to slash my tyres, i would think nothing of damaging you, if you want to discuss it, do so, i insult no one , i am an old shcool countryman with those values, commodity angling caters for a lot of people, all i am saying to you is watch your actions, dont blow a sport with centuries of history for an easy experience, you have come across has a catch and any cost angler, that is not what will ensure the longevity of the sport, thnk about it.

B

binka

i sit fishing in a field of sheep and have heartbreaking thoughts of the fate of the lambs that give me so much pleasure with their bold curiosity.

I have to agree with this.

I have on many occasion done the same with tongue hanging out and salivating heavily shortly before donning my trainers with jar of mint sauce firmly in hand :)

Sorry :eek:mg:

If it's any consolation I'm way too far off the pace to catch one...

Chefster

Reaction score
Seek as you find my friend, if you want to slash my tyres, i would think nothing of damaging you, if you want to discuss it, do so, i insult no one , i am an old shcool countryman with those values, commodity angling caters for a lot of people, all i am saying to you is watch your actions, dont blow a sport with centuries of history for an easy experience, you have come across has a catch and any cost angler, that is not what will ensure the longevity of the sport, thnk about it.
I think we better leave this now,i dont know you,you dont know me,i think its best for all concerned to keep it that way,Gazza

wanderer

Reaction score
we all have our opinions, no need for bad feeling, we are all anglers with different views as the best way to go, i wish him luck.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
One thing I do not understand as I have very little knowledge of match fishing is why the owners of commercials don't worry about all these fish being killed in a match. The fish cost money as I understand it.

wanderer

Reaction score
Because the cost of replacement is less than the weekly match take, sad really, most big carp anglers are worried about damaging a fin in the net, others think nothing of dropping a hundred pound on top of them, you must make your own decisions about what is right and wrong, i have, and have no regrets voicing my disgust.