Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  51
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stocking Levels

Default Stocking Levels

I am aware that a lot of you lads will not agree with my opinions on this matter but i feel that i should put my own feelings down and ask your views. The recommended stocking level for a still water is 500 pounds per acre total biomass, so why are people allowed to stock way above this level, surely an animal cruelty issue is fair comment. I speak with confidence about advertised stocking levels for some very famous fisheries very close to me, i will not name them for legal reasons but you can all see them on you tube. 30 Acre reservoir6000 plus carp, plus thousands of silvers and some big predators, another 3 acre, 2 foot deep pool stuffed with fish, where a hundred pound match weight wont even register. Some where between here and the sparsely populated, big pits of the south east and east anglia, we have to decide what is angling and what is a fair contest with any credibility, lets face it some of these fish could not survive without anglers battering them on a daily basis, not enough food, stuffed in match anglers keep nets and crushed, mishandled by novices. Many fabulous tench and bream venues have been sacrificed in the pursuit of profit, should we be doing this or have a rethink about what angling means to us all, and maybe rethink the values. Sorry about the rant, but i can see dangers for us all if this continues.

Default Re: Stocking Levels

You have certainly opened a can of worms (pardon the pun!) there and opinion will I suspect be divided. I choose only to fish rivers and shy away from commercial fisheries, where I have admittedly only had one experience and that was bad. It was busy and more crowded than I am used to and there was discarded tackle everywhere. The money was collected within ten minutes of arrival by a very disinterested woman with a dog who told me not to leave maggots in the bin (as if I would). I took my son as a guy at work had said he would catch easily and indeed he did and rapidly got bored as it was way too easy. We left early. Obviously I cannot base a valid opinion on this one incident, but I can see where you are coming from. However, many of the guys on this forum fish on commercial still waters and enjoy it hugely and I suspect that there are some very well run and sensibly stocked waters out there where the owners would not dream of over stocking. Also it begs the question as to how many youngsters/novices would be lost to our sport if the commerical fisheries did not exist. There is no right answer, but there will undoubtedly be contrasting opinions.
    By the time a man realizes his Father was right, he has a son who thinks he's wrong.

Yes mate, that was the point of the article, it isnt about enjoying yourself where obvious animal issues are concerned, yep we all want to hook a big fish, me by trickery and a sense of acheivement, some guys by merely paying for a day ticket, where do we draw the line, profit or a hobby that has existed for hundreds of years, nothing natural about some of these places, rats in a barrel.

I'm not defending them, but stocking levels are EA guidelines and not law. There are naturalised fisheries, that haven't been stocked in decades, that exceed these guidelines. My own syndicate tries to keep below them, but many complain that the fishing is too hard or they don't catch or see much. I also suspect that anglers suggesting high stocking levels as animal cruelty has an element of shooting yourself in the foot about it. Angling itself is deemed to be cruel by an awful lot of people.

The bottom line is that owners can do as they see fit with waters. We may not like it, but it's the way it is. I'm also a lot less convinced that even the worst commercials are quite as bad as some make out (with regards to stocking levels at least). Fish stocks are valuable, even the unwanted species, if and when fisheries do have problems, not many will baulk at the prospect of supplemental feeding, aeration or netting when necessary.

Blog Entries

It's pointless Lambert speaking of the sport losing kids, apart from the few that emulate their fathers or older relatives that is.
    Kids on the whole prefer to sit in a comfortable chair playing games, if that's what they like who's to stop them.
    It's certainly not the fault of commercial fisheries they are lost to angling.
    Without commercials a lot more anglers would find other interests, I for one am unable to fish the vast majority of venues so commercial style fisheries are a life blood to me and others I meet on fisheries I frequent.
    It's about time that anglers in general stopped sniping at other styles of fishing that's not to their liking.
    As for profit well the chaps who own these fish laden ponds are only in it for what they can get, profit drives everything these days.
    No one works just for the sake of it and the only way to be able to do the things we need is profit.
    With the amount of fisheries around me the ones that stand out are the ones that get more seats on bums as it were, inevitably they hold the heavier stocks.
    Is it cruel I don't think so the fish seem in good shape bar for damage to mouths.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rayner View Post
    It's about time that anglers in general stopped sniping at other styles of fishing that's not to their liking
    Absolutely.

I find it hypocritical that anglers speak of stocking levels as cruel yet are happy to stick a hook in its mouth and remove it from its natural habitat for nothing more than their own gratification.

Anglers are anglers and the way an individual angler decides where and how to fish has little to do with others so long as his methods are legal.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

binka Guest

Each to their own I say.

Commies aren't my cup of tea but I'm certainly not knocking 'em or those that choose to fish 'em, I hope their popularity continues to increase and keep the rivers clear for me

On the question of stocking levels I'm of a very similar opinion to Sam, many "natural" waters have high levels of bio mass and they seem to get along fine on an unmanaged basis.

I am sorry to say that i have to disagree with you lads, it reminds me of some of these Edwardian millionares that used to have wild specimens tethered for the gun with the object of filling their trophy walls, prawn sandwiches and pink champagne, the great white hunter in all his glory. Dave Lane has joined one of my local syndicates for his winter campaign, 60 fish in a deep weedy gravel pit, i hope he catches the big one, over 50, he will have earned it, a true hunter, if i ask him to join me on a day on Drayton, i can imagine his answer. Lakes that require the local fire brigade to keep them alive during hot weather and require feeding during the winter should not be on the radar of anyone calling himself an angler in my view, still thats just my view or is it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
    I am sorry to say that i have to disagree with you lads, it reminds me of some of these Edwardian millionares that used to have wild specimens tethered for the gun with the object of filling their trophy walls, prawn sandwiches and pink champagne, the great white hunter in all his glory. Dave Lane has joined one of my local syndicates for his winter campaign, 60 fish in a deep weedy gravel pit, i hope he catches the big one, over 50, he will have earned it, a true hunter, if i ask him to join me on a day on Drayton, i can imagine his answer. Lakes that require the local fire brigade to keep them alive during hot weather and require feeding during the winter should not be on the radar of anyone calling himself an angler in my view, still thats just my view or is it.

What a shame that you view your fellow angler in such a poor light merely because they fail to hold the same opinion as yourself, brother of the angle? mmmmm.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Lets not forget there are overstocked match lakes and overstocked specimen lakes. They are run for profit not for fish welfare. So it’s each to there own, if you want easy to catch fish go there. They are not for me and I will give up fishing when the time comes that I can’t fish my normal waters.

There is one place near me that I am sure the water level would drop by 2ft if the fish were taken out.

As far as the cruelty aspect in overstocking goes I have often wondered why the RSPCA have never got involved in dealing with such places in the beginning. But there again it is only fish we are talking about and they don’t count.

As far as losing young anglers goes, at my school there are none I know of, I never hear any talking about going fishing at the weekend. I can’t remember the last time I saw any young anglers. The junior side of the clubs I am a member of now has very little interest.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast