Weights and Measures police!

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Pounds and ounces

inches, feet, yards and miles

decimal currency

For distance I learnt that when i swam "a mile" at school when i was 8 in about 1974 it was actually 1500m - so i knew after that there were about about 1.5km to a mile.

As for weights i learnt from fishing that a 1kg BS line was same as 2.2Ibs BS. I forget which line it was but I used it a lot until I switched to 2.6Ib Bayer which complicated things (but was a better line).

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Also does anyone else look at the price of something for example at 85pence and mentally think 17 shillings for that? WTF! Or am I the only one?

No, you're not the only one, Terry. I do that all the time, particularly when I think something is overpriced as it sounds even more outrageous in old money.

Crispy Crème donuts are a good example. I will die in a ditch before I pay 26 Bob for one bloody donut ! :mad:

seth49

Reaction score
Imperial for me too. It's what I'm used to, We hardly touched on metric when I was at school.
But then I did leave in 1965,
What still gets me is when petrol is priced in litres.
Suppose 99.9 pence doesn't sound as bad as £4.50 a gallon.
Think it was three shilling and nine pence a gallon when I first bought some.
Still Remember the rip off that was decimalisation
Price of everything seemed to double in about six months.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Yea, that liters thing for petrol does my head in..
Didn't some billion pound space project land up in the wrong place because some bozo was still using feet and yards instead of metric? Good luck to him, give him a medal. I would have done the same, deliberately!
I reckon it made us all more intelligent using 12 as a base measurement instead of 10,-10 was too easy, 12 made you think. I think that's why our educational standard has dropped.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I had the tricky problem of consistency when I did my first book on pole fishing. In the end I decided to use the appropriate measurements and explained why so it was pole lengths in metres, float loads in grams, line diameters in hundredths of a millimetre and depths in feet and fish weights in pounds and ounces and that seemed to work quite well. Back in the 80s some match fishing books tried to convert everything to metric but it was clumsy so someone would write of catching 113 gram roach whereas they meant 4oz roach which was always an approximation and most match anglers had no idea what it was about so just found it annoying. One local club bought metric scales and no-one liked them and when they were eventually replaced they went back to pounds and ounces. British records have sometimes been converted to metric with confusing rounding!

I went to secondary school 1968 to 74 so we had imperial in maths (acres, mph, gallons etc.) and metric in physics so I never had a problem with either. They say never get a kitchen fitter who still works in imperial as all the stuff is in metric multiples....

lambert1

Reaction score
Hearing Peter and Skip referring to old money, reminds me of having to translate new pence for old shillings and pence for my Grandad in the shops. He would be totally outraged after about four items! I used to cringe and try and talk quietly which was pointless as he would shout out my answer for all to hear, in a state of total indignation! His thoughts on the new half penny are not printable:D

theartist

Reaction score
Because I do my fish charts so small I use a decimal point yet the weights are in pounds so 4.5 is 4lbs 5oz go figure that one out!

Also my missus says I get inches and centimetres muddled up too :eek:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Miles per hour
Degrees of centigrade
Feet inches and mm ?
Pounds and ounces
Milibars of atmospheric and pressure
PSI tyre pressure.
I left school at a similar time to mark.

Petrol in litres is just a CON JOB pure and simple.

PG...

Sent from my 8055 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Hearing Peter and Skip referring to old money, reminds me of having to translate new pence for old shillings and pence for my Grandad in the shops. He would be totally outraged after about four items! I used to cringe and try and talk quietly which was pointless as he would shout out my answer for all to hear, in a state of total indignation! His thoughts on the new half penny are not printable:D

My Old Mum was the same. She really could not get her head round "decimal money". Her argument was that one day there were 240 pennies to a pound and the next day only 100.

"That means a pound's only worth 6/8d now ! "

Not sure she ever really worked it out, bless her.

john step

Reaction score
I find it easier to use grams for weighing and adding up small things, saying 10g instead of 0.35274 ounces for example.

Who's clever enough to tell me in old money (without googling) what a quarter of a 3 ounce lead weighs? :D

and in new money? :eek:

3/4 of an ounce of course:wh:wh:wh

---------- Post added at 14:20 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

Imperial for me too. It's what I'm used to, We hardly touched on metric when I was at school.
But then I did leave in 1965,
What still gets me is when petrol is priced in litres.
Suppose 99.9 pence doesn't sound as bad as £4.50 a gallon.
Think it was three shilling and nine pence a gallon when I first bought some.
Still Remember the rip off that was decimalisation
Price of everything seemed to double in about six months.

Yes and some garages were ripping off drivers during the fuel crisis about 1970 by charging 5 shillings(25p) A GALLON !

dannyboy1

Reaction score
Funny bunch us fishermen, we switch from old money to new money regularly.

It makes no odds to me I understand both, I can't understand old currency though one bit, threpenny,bobs and shillings that's all Greek to me.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Funny thing all this imperial/ metric stuff, when my old dad heard we were going to have to change over from feet n inches to metres he said it was old hat government nonsense 'cos we had been measuring our gas in meters for yonks.

dannyboy1

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry Dannyboy, money is all Greek to the Greeks.
Lol!

Yes they don't have the best financial track record! That's not what I meant though it was simply just a figure of speech

Sent from my HP 8 G2 using Tapatalk