Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Weights and Measures police!

I'm pretty much old school when it comes to Pounds and Ounces regards weighing my fish. I don't often catch near record weight to bother weighing to the degree of dram accuracy but you never know... and have a hard time converting from imperial to decimal Kg's or parts thereof in me head so have a chart.
    Shot is put on the line as No.1, BB, AAA, Swan etc. I don't use styls so don't feel it necessary to convert, just take shot out of the split shot dispenser and that's that... Old money rules!

BUT when it comes to ledger weights I prefer grams. 20g, 25g, 30g leads go figure!
    The reason I probably use grams for ledger leads and pounds and ounces for fish is that pre decimalization I hardly ever ledgered and preferred to float fish so wasn't familiar with them. I maybe had a couple of large arlesey bombs tucked away in my box but nothing more for when trotting was out of the question. Each fish (of a decent size) caught back then was weighed in LB's and luckily shot is still sold the way it was back in the day.

These days I use leads more and so prefer the gram. Some ledger weights have both ounce and the equivalent gram writing on.

How do you refer to your weights, grams or ounces?

Default Re: Weights and Measures police!

Old money for me...never could understand how many grams made a yard

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    Old money for me...never could understand how many grams made a yard
    Haha brilliant John!

Blog Entries

Fish are weighed in pounds and ounces, everything else metric just because everything I buy is in metric.
    I consider myself old school I'm an imperial guy, "I hate metric" for too tricky for a Yorkshire lad

Pounds and ounces for me and Fahrenheit, feet and inches, miles per hour etc except decimal coinage, I picked that up a bit sharpish!

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    Pounds and ounces for me and Fahrenheit, feet and inches, miles per hour etc except decimal coinage, I picked that up a bit sharpish!
    Good lad...me too. I am unashamedly Old School Imperial. I have no idea what a Hectare is other than he had a House and a very annoying ladder climbing French frog as a neighbour.

A pox on all measures metric.

As all of you above, i used to work for an American Engineering company, never a thought of the U.S. going metric imperial forever, me too.

I miss the old passport, it was substantial in a royal blue with the crown embossed all over it. I always thought it kind of said -"don't mess with me mate". Now I have an insignificant piece of plastic crud that says - well, fa really.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Can you imagine ordering "half a litre of reds " in the tackle shop ? You'd be thrown out and rightly so !

The weight loading on pole floats does my head in. 0.75g is meaningless to me...might as well be in Klingon.

Blog Entries

I started pole fishing relatively late, in the early 90's so for me I can easily understand floats in grams whereas for feeders and legers I still think in ounces, regardless of buying them in weights measured in grams. That said I also think of 0.016 line and not x lbs B/S . . . . .

I have lived many years in Europe and Scandinavia so Metric is second nature to me, but I (like everyone else in my local pub') still order a pint of beer . . . . . and I also always order fruit and vegetables in pounds and not kilos.

Even driving here at home I tend to translate speed limits from mph to kph, again having spent so long in Europe and Scandinavia it just seems to mean more to me . . . . .

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast