The last cast of the year...

B

binka

Is anyone out tomorrow to get their last cast of the year in?

I'm just rigging up now, as the river has fallen considerably but looking set to rise again I reckon I will take advantage of the extra colour and get a zander session in.

Difficult, but not impossible.

Likely I will be out with a mate the following day too so I may just leave the same kit rigged up and ready to go.

Anyone else out wetting a line tomorrow to see out the year or have you planned your first session of the New Year yet?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Oh yes, I shall be out...................that is, unless it's really filthy weather such as driving rain AND wind! I've got a sheltered still water that will do just fine.

If I look outside now it blowing real hooley but I understand it should subside through the night although the weather men cannot really give an accurate picture so I will have the bait ready to go and hope for the best......

At the end of the day, I'd rather be out and catch ziltch than mope around the house..

sam vimes

Reaction score
I shall be splodging through the countryside with a flag and a stick. That'll leave me with just three days to get some fishing in before I supplement my pension by actually doing some work!

Chefster

Reaction score
Is anyone out tomorrow to get their last cast of the year in?

I'm just rigging up now, as the river has fallen considerably but looking set to rise again I reckon I will take advantage of the extra colour and get a zander session in.

Difficult, but not impossible.

Likely I will be out with a mate the following day too so I may just leave the same kit rigged up and ready to go.

Anyone else out wetting a line tomorrow to see out the year or have you planned your first session of the New Year yet?
Have a good one Steve.its gonna be wet and windy,but hey,is better than sitting indoors,or worse still where ill be- Working!!
I had 2 matches booked this week for monday and tuesday,but the cambelt went on the car,as i was going on monday the end result is me having to get a new car,which is being delivered next tuesday,my only day off next week as well!!!!!-so no fishing:doh:Gazza

B

binka

:thumbs:
Have a good one Steve.its gonna be wet and windy,but hey,is better than sitting indoors,or worse still where ill be- Working!!
I had 2 matches booked this week for monday and tuesday,but the cambelt went on the car,as i was going on monday the end result is me having to get a new car,which is being delivered next tuesday,my only day off next week as well!!!!!-so no fishing:doh:Gazza

Cheers Gaz.

Feel for you on the cam belt mate, been there myself and it's the last thing anyone needs.

All the best to you too and hope you're back out on the water soon fella :thumbs:

dann

Reaction score
I plan to get a few hours on the Kennet and Avon canal tomorrow.

Been a few times recently and a good spot if the weather isn't too good as it is quite sheltered. Also a decent towpath so mud not too much of an issue.

Good luck to whoever does get out.

robtherake

Reaction score
Not until a couple of days after New Year. I've not bothered over the last few winters, but having been inspired by the fine gentlemen who regularly post mind-boggling pictures on the "How'd you get on..." thread, I'll be tramping through the mud like a pro! Good luck, gents and I wish you all a fabulous 2016, on and off the bank. Cheers. :w

Chefster

Reaction score
:thumbs:

Cheers Gaz.

Feel for you on the cam belt mate, been there myself and it's the last thing anyone needs.

All the best to you too and hope you're back out on the water soon fella :thumbs:
I fish all year round anyway mate,Ice breaking etc,so a couple of weeks wont hurt me -much:rolleyes:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I had my last cast of 2015 about 2 weeks ago. I have tried to get out since but work, Christmas, Mrs S and some really **** work by the Met Office have done for me. I was going yesterday but the MO said clearing skies and it stayed cloudy. No problem I'll go today....but the MO said heavy rain by 10 am....which didn't arrive until nearly 5 pm.

So that's me stuffed. Mild weather gone, bright sun tomorrow and falling temps towards evening. All of which to me says the zander will have gone right off. So its a lie in or the M25 on New Years Eve for a nailed on blank. No thank you.....I don't need it that badly.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I am out saturday, got to go to Slough tomorrow to price up a job, and the guy can't get there until 11.30am, so that stuffed the day up.

Gives me the chance to try out the new rod, one of my sons bought me for christmas. I broke my quiver rod a few weeks back, so Tom got me a new one, good lad.

Aussie Bob

Reaction score
Will try and head out later on just before the light goes. I am presuming the fireworks display will be cancelled due to a fire ban so hopefully can get a couple of hours in. Going to be 37 degrees today so no chance during the day but might get a mudeye hatch later on ..
Supposed to cool down for the weekend which I think will be a much better prospect ...

B

binka

Will try and head out later on just before the light goes. I am presuming the fireworks display will be cancelled due to a fire ban so hopefully can get a couple of hours in. Going to be 37 degrees today so no chance during the day but might get a mudeye hatch later on ..
Supposed to cool down for the weekend which I think will be a much better prospect ...

It always amazes me Bob that come the 1st of January we turn on the news to see that Australia has already welcomed in the New Year first.

I reckon Sepp Blatter is in charge of the bidding process, it's about time it went to someone else ;) :)

Good luck with the fishing...

flightliner

Reaction score
My last outing was this afternoon, a few hours on a local water luring for perch/pike in weather that was as foul as it gets.
Two big name notts pikers were returning from the waterside as I arrived at the carpark, one had taken a mid double pike in the morning but I think they had pressing commitments at work so were off.
I was the only angler there which was no surprise, horizontal rain isnt nice but my goretex gear did me proud during my two hours constant casting.
An hour in and three swims later my modified lure stopped dead and tho hoping for a perch the culprit was the most battered pike I have ever caught, four pound tops but stillup for the fight.
Almost dark and hoping for a stripey the lure gets stuck on a snag, just out of reach but just visible any amount of pulling from all angles fails but a last chance with a windblown branch poking at it finally saves my lurethat falls to the bottom free.
I picked up my rod to retrieve my lure and was amazed to find that it was attached to two others, one a five inch fire tiger and the other a hugh silicon twin tail leadheaded job and all in good very usable condition.(must try that spot again lol )
I,ve had one or two odd catches over the years with hooks catching on them but two bonus lures must rank as the most usefull.
Anyway, the rain was unabating and tho still ok to carry on decided that my total catch wassnt a bad return for such a lousy few hours weather that failed to dampen my enjoyment.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes, this sort of weather is for real men..................do or die sort of thing - either that or just plain nuts !!!

Anyway, just taken the bait from the freezer and maggots from the fridge, so role on 8am with the rain moving away from west London...I hope !

Good luck to all other nutters..

john step

Reaction score

send some of your weather over here please??????

I am out tomorrow somewhere out of the wind. I will leave the Trent alone until everyone has gone back to work!

Last edited:

Aussie Bob

Reaction score
send some of your weather over here please??????

I am out tomorrow somewhere out of the wind. I will leave the Trent alone until everyone has gone back to work!

If you send some rain over here you can have some of the hot days....just been outside its stifling ...still supposed to be 25 degrees at midnight !