Hair rig - tips for simple add-on

barbelboi

Reaction score
Have you thought about tying a KK using a small ‘O’ ring as the ‘hair’ touching, and tight to, the rear shank of the hook. You can then tie any length ‘hair’ to it, from mono or braid, in seconds.....

robtherake

Reaction score
Loop to loop a bait band to the hair.

Bands are so useful I've largely done away with using any other form of bait stop; they're even good for worms!

To band a worm, push a thin baiting needle through the last inch or so of worm at the head end, exiting through its mouth. Hook the band and extend it, push the worm up the band so its head touches the eye of the hook and then carefully release the band. The band bunches up inside the head, holding the worm firmly against the eye and leaving the whole hook clear. They'll stay on for the long chuck and there's the bonus that they seem to have much less of a tendency to reimpale themselves as they wriggle.

At the back end of last summer I had a fair few margin carp on float-fished banded whitebait, fished a foot or so overdepth. I was hoping the perch might find them attractive, but the bait hoovers got there first every time:rolleyes: Prawns and small shellfish benefit from the banding treatment - much easier to band than hook and things like bacon rind, quite impossible to hook securely, are presented perfectly when banded. I'm currently working my way through the supermarket snack selections that come in handy packs; Fridge Raiders are pretty good baits, too, but they're a swine to hook, splitting the chicken pieces along the grain. No such problem with the mighty band!

It did set me to thinking, though, about using stronger bands to present small deadbaits, particularly for perch, but if the band's strong enough (as an example, I've been using half-inch sections of bicycle inner tube to band big chunks of crusty bread that wouldn't stay on the hook) then bigger baits and species wouldn't be out of the question. Hair-rigged mackerel, anyone? :)

laguna

Reaction score
To band a worm, push a thin baiting needle through the last inch or so of worm at the head end, exiting through its mouth. Hook the band and extend it, push the worm up the band so its head touches the eye of the hook and then carefully release the band. The band bunches up inside the head, holding the worm firmly against the eye and leaving the whole hook clear. They'll stay on for the long chuck and there's the bonus that they seem to have much less of a tendency to reimpale themselves as they wriggle.
Very good!