''Motivation''

mightyboosh

Reaction score
As others have said (more or less), it's about a nice day out on the water. For each of us, this will be different. For me , it's about good conditions, seeing some wildlife and yes, catching a few fish.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
These days i struggle to find the time to get out - work, doing up house etc gets in way - even at weekends. But hopefully this wont be for too much longer.

When i do get out fishing I can soon let the fishing take over - meaning i fall behind in work, doing up the house etc. So at the moment it is a balancing act. I dare not go fishing until i have finished what i need to finish.

I look forward to being retired - or finding a time machine and being a student again - as i would be devoting weeks or months on end to worrying about little else but where to go fishing, if i had the chance. I suppose i have fished as a way of life on occasion and i still find it difficult to enjoy the pastime in moderation.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
I've fished from the age of 5, nears as damit as makes no difference 60 years and during that time within reason been able to go as and when I've liked. I've fished for big fish for 40 of those year, catching good sized specimens of all species with the exception of catchfish. Never interested me cats.

Of late, last 12 months, I've found my enthusiasm to go waning dramatically, Even the wife has commented on it.:eek:
One of my mates even asked another mate was I depressed for some reason.
Why I've fell into this can't be ar$ed malaise I really don't know? As fishing has been a way of my life all that time?

I do have, as some know, other interests and hobbies, some I've had as long as my fishing, birdwatching and watching speedway for instance. Those haven't waned to the extent my fishing has. So no I don't agree that you don't need motivation to go because I sure as hell seem to be lacking something and if it isn't motivation then tell me what it is?

mightyboosh

Reaction score
I've fished from the age of 5, nears as damit as makes no difference 60 years and during that time within reason been able to go as and when I've liked. I've fished for big fish for 40 of those year, catching good sized specimens of all species with the exception of catchfish. Never interested me cats.

Of late, last 12 months, I've found my enthusiasm to go waning dramatically, Even the wife has commented on it.:eek:
Why I've fell into this can't be ar$ed malaise I really don't know? As fishing has been a way of my life all that time?

I do have, as some know, other interests and hobbies, some I've had as long as my fishing, birdwatching and watching speedway for instance. Those haven't waned to the extent my fishing has. So no I don't agree that you don't need motivation to go because I sure as hell seem to be lacking something and if it isn't motivation then tell me what it is?

I haven't been fishing anywhere near as long as you, just a mere 35 years, but my interest ebbs and flows. I always come back to it though. After a break it feels fresh and exciting again.

Although I don't force myself to go out if I don't really feel like it, on those borderline days, there is the thought that I'll really enjoy when I get there, or more likely for me these days, the sense of achievement at the end of a good trip.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score

bad one,

Like you I have fished for over 60ty years and I have never needed to motivate myself to go fishing, if I'm fit enough I go.

Just being outside in all weathers and seeing the wild life is as much a pleasure for me as the actual fishing, I prefer to be fishing for the chance of a big fish, but to be honest I don't mind the smaller fish or blanking.

I have other hobbies, gardening, reading, DIY and grown up family, which keeps me busy, I go fishing as often as I can, it's always a pleasure and I'm moving to a new area, so new water to fish.

You only get one chance of life, so I reckon you make the most of it.

Personally the only motivation I need is for the DIY and I'm sure I'm not alone in that ?

As for my illness I'm feeling a lot better now, coping with the drugs and have an assessment this coming Tuesday, so fingers crossed I will get the all clear !!

Bob

steve2

Reaction score
Since I retired 8 years ago if have fished less than before. The reason being I now look out of the window and if the weather is a bit iffy I say to myself I will go tomorrow.
The new lakes I joined have given me a bit of a new interest, on the old ones fishing had got a bit routine, same fish and same swims.
Spent the whole day yesterday fishing lures something I have not done for a while. A very interesting day, with good results , until the bank gave way and I ended up with wet legs.
Now looking forward to the spring when the Tench and Bream start feeding.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
S

It's nothing what ever to do with being obsessive or ruling your life, it's as other have said, just a way of life.

Motivation is reserved for something that is hard to do, going to work for 45 years needed motivation, playing golf to a low handicap and practicing regularly needed motivation, cutting the lawn needs motivation with a Flymo.

But it would appear there are some who need motivating to get themselves out fishing, in my opinion if it's a chore, then another hobby is the best alternative.

Bob

And I'm still disagreeing with you, Bob. I go when I can and when I think its worth going....I dont go just because I can or for the sake of it. I'm as passionate about it as the next person but there is more to life than fishing and I have other demands on my limited time. I really dont think that means I'm not commited or should be looking for some other hobby which is what you seem to be implying.

I would love to be able to go more often but I just can't....and there are times when I could but choose not to for a number of reasons. So what ?

There are some on here who IMO are bordering on what I would call obsessive....that's their choice. I wouldnt dream of telling them they are misguided anymore than I would tell someone who packs their gear away in September or only goes occasionally that they ought to find another hobby.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
S

I noticed you modified my post, nice !!

And how would you know if I'm obsessive, you don't know me ?

I totally disagree with you on every point, but I'm never likely to fish with and you with me , best we leave it at that

Bob

lambert1

Reaction score
Getting back to the original question from Derek, I am one of those that falls in the glad to be there camp as fishing is my "me" time that we all need every now and then. If as occasionally happens (very occasionally this season:D) I manage to land something of note, I do have an extra spring in my step! This season other demands/events/ etc have taken their tole on my time on the bank, but that's life. When I am there I am eight years old again watching a porcupine float and I am miles away:)Bliss!!!!!!!!!!!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
S

I noticed you modified my post, nice !!

And how would you know if I'm obsessive, you don't know me ?

I totally disagree with you on every point, but I'm never likely to fish with and you with me , best we leave it at that

Bob

Fine by me, Bob.......but just to set the record straight I did not knowingly modify your post, nor did I ever call you obsessive.

Chefster

Reaction score
I love my fishing,i really enjoy it,i,m totally obsessive about fishing,and totally ocd about my gear,bait,and organisation to do with it,but sometimes ,in the winter,when its frozen,and i know we,ll need to break ice,or its absolutely Pi$$ing it down,the older ive got,the harder i find it to get motivated...Gazza

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I get up some mornings, look out and think, S@@T, am i going out in that, Yep.

The reason i do, is i don't have all the time in the world to go fishing, so i go when i can, regardless of the weather.

I am not sure if you call it motivation or not. I get the buzz getting ready, that is enough to make up my mind, I AM GOING.

You hear the phrase, fair weather angler, so what, if thats how they want to fish, fine. I know some good anglers, they won't fish in weather i do, won't do the nights, don't see the point in going to pre bait a swim.

I wouldn't say that anyone of them need motivation to go when they want.

steve2

Reaction score
The word obsessive as been mentioned by some, I have fished with some obsessive anglers. Those that have spent a lot time and money chasing a particular carp only to say when they finally caught it “I am glad that’s over”.
That is obsession for you, not someone goes fishing as much as they can because they enjoy it, but someone whose life is ruled by a particular fish.
Some of those that I fished with no longer fish because the motivation as gone.

rayner

Reaction score
It's really all to do with enjoying fishing. I don't need motivation to do anything. If it needs doing I do it, or pay someone to do what I don't fancy doing.
Whatever folk do to get their enjoyment is OK with me.