Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ''My bogey fish.''

I assume many will have had one. My own particular one ''was'' a large Crucian which thwarted me for several seasons, until I gave it best and moved on.

If you have one, what was it, and how successful were you?

Default Re: ''My bogey fish.''

During the 90's I tried for many summer seasons to 'take' a large ghostie off the top with a floater from a local gravel pit. I dread to think how much milage I clocked up on the bank searching for it and how many casts I sent in it's direction waiting for it to swim up to (and totally ignore) the bait. Then having it grabbed by other unseen carp. After about six years I suceeded in catching it using a small feeder in the depths of winter from an area of the pit that wasn't frozen......................
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Blog Entries

Rather like yourself Derek my "bogey" fish is still a large Crucian.

I even tried the famed Marsh Farm but on a terribly hot day when not much was caught . . . . . except for "you-know-who" . . . . . he who can catch from a puddle in the road LOL

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post
    . . . . . except for "you-know-who" . . . . . he who can catch from a puddle in the road LOL
    Can I have the mans name n fone number then Peter because rite now I'm sat beside a road leading to the trent thats flooded --- I'd love to see him try!.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flightliner View Post
    Can I have the mans name n fone number then Peter because rite now I'm sat beside a road leading to the trent thats flooded --- I'd love to see him try!.
    . . . if there are any fish there Mick then Neil would catch them . . . .

his nickname isn't "golden balls" for nothing . . . .

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Quote Originally Posted by flightliner View Post
    Still over the banks then? You are an optimist going there yet I fear!!
    I think it must have been approaching the railway line at Winthorpe recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post
    . . . if there are any fish there Mick then Neil would catch them . . . .

his nickname isn't "golden balls" for nothing . . . .

And there's me thinking you were referring to Mark W.! Many years ago when I fished with him regularly and in some matches, he could indeed catch from just about anywhere.

As for Crucians, they became a fixation for me (twice). I used to live in Yateley and just caught the back end of the Crucian peak on Summer Pit and others nearby lakes. Many evenings and dawns were spent down there and I was eventually rewarded with some lovely fish.

A few years later, having moved a bit further away, I was close to Marsh Farm, even used to walk it sometimes in my rare lunch time breaks from work, and gave it my all one "closed season". Again, eventually, had some gorgeous Crucians to over 3lbs and finally a stunning 4lber. But I did concentrate on the task for over 4 months to achieve it.

Blog Entries

Wink Re: ''My bogey fish.''

Tench. Never do any good against them. They're like Arsenal - but green.

Zander

I fished quite a few winter seasons for Zander with Simon King, his best was 9lbs 11ozs from the Lea and mine was 9lbs 4ozs.

We went onto the Ouse and again I had Zs over 9lbs, but could never break the double.

Simon of course caught a wonderful Zander of 15lbs 5ozs from Wyboston South Lake after much effort.

I failed miserably !!

Bob
    http://www.calmproductions.com/acatalog.com/ospreysg.html#aOSPREY

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dorsetandchub View Post
    Tench. Never do any good against them. They're like Arsenal - but green.
    . . . what, you mean that . . . . . .

They are Top Of The League then?

Patrick F. McManus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast