What makes a club a syndicate? (what's the difference?)

daniel121

Reaction score
Many variations of both Daniel, clubs are usually dominated by the match brigade and used for their own ends, particularly at weekends at everyone elses expense, true syndicates are rare, but limited groups of the like minded looking after a limited membership water in the interest of land owner and angler alike, is a great concept, not a true syndicate but a common interest in the fish and their environment.

Yes your not wrong there mate.

As an example I know of 'club' that actually is a Ltd company! I used to be a member on there forum there was very very few that used to partisticipate in a constructive for the club. Anyway I distinctively remember some debate (I was not involved in) that the 'club' secretary didn't like he said something like. We were not members only ticket holders and if we did not feel we were getting value for money we were welcome to leave and join somewhere else.

Also I know of a 'syndicate' at a fishing holiday resort ran by an eccentric lovable old guy, where you get very very little for being in this 'syndicate' in fact it's not a 'syndicate at all but you tell them that!!!

I'll tell anyone who wants to know the name of both of these places via PM as I don't know if the site would want me to put it on the open forum.

steve2

Reaction score
My new lakes are more like a syndicate then some of the syndicates I have belonged to. No one allowed to join until they meet the owner, walked the lakes with him and had an informal chat. He also walks the lakes regularly to make sure everything is all right.
I remember one “syndicate” I joined where on the opening night so many turned up that there were not enough swims on the lake and arguments in the car park.
I never went back. This “syndicate” is still open to all.
Because I only fish midweek most of my other club waters are like syndicates. Very few people about, in fact sometimes I have the lakes to self.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for the slight hijack but may I ask what the difference is between an experienced angler and an inexperienced one when it comes to belonging to a syndicate? Do inexperienced anglers leave rubbish and behave badly or have I missed something?

I probably cannot do better than repeat what Terry says:

"I would generalise and say that experienced anglers are likely to be less fractious by virtue of the fact that they understand angling protocols and expectations far better than a typical inexperienced angler. Fishing too close on rivers, casting across, making unacceptable noise, etc etc."

Typically most of the members have been fishing in this area for many years and know the Avon, its habits and its different guises in the different seasons.
I am pretty sure that we don't have a member under the age of 45 and to become a member you have to be proposed by an existing member, then meet the Secretary and one of the other members for an "informal chat"

Hope this clarifies

dann

Reaction score
I probably cannot do better than repeat what Terry says:

"I would generalise and say that experienced anglers are likely to be less fractious by virtue of the fact that they understand angling protocols and expectations far better than a typical inexperienced angler. Fishing too close on rivers, casting across, making unacceptable noise, etc etc."

Typically most of the members have been fishing in this area for many years and know the Avon, its habits and its different guises in the different seasons.
I am pretty sure that we don't have a member under the age of 45 and to become a member you have to be proposed by an existing member, then meet the Secretary and one of the other members for an "informal chat"

Hope this clarifies

For me, that is a real shame. People ask why angling gets a poor reputation and lacks diversity or youngsters and I guess this is why.

I don't want to fully hijack this thread so I'll leave it at that.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For me, that is a real shame. People ask why angling gets a poor reputation and lacks diversity or youngsters and I guess this is why.

A shame?

In what way is it "shame" dann?

How on earth is being a member of this, or any other syndicate, promoting a lack of diversity?
How does being a member on this stretch equate to giving angling a bad name?

The stretch in question has a long history going back to before the likes of; Walker, Stone and the Taylor brothers who all fished on the stretch and wrote about it many times.

There are many more venues where youngsters can go and learn their trade and isn't having something to aspire to, or having a goal, a good thing?

It would probably further annoy you to know that there are even more strict membership criteria on any of the Trout and Salmon beats on the Itchen and the Test I suppose, and yet on these we see many youngsters every season.

wanderer

Reaction score
On the Ecton complex, Alan Taylor makes every new member spend a year on the Clover lake, which although holding fish to thirty, does not contain the larger specimens, a sensible move, it gives the bailliff time to assess thare capabilities before attempting to progress to situations beyond their knowledge, long may it be so.