Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How authentic are the British records?

Taking nothing away from the achievements of the records holders, I'd like to take about authenticity of the records baced on my life experiences.

A couple of years ago while on holiday i spoke to a British record holder, I wouldn't call him a friend, truth be known even an acquaintance is a stretch however we did befriend him on two holidays.We sat and drank with our families in the bar. This person is not an average Joe he's connected in the angling industry. My point is he was telling us over a pint about the hoops you have to jump through to get a record fish in this country. He said his angling industry help is was not a simple claim. I said would you of made a claim if your were a average Joe? He told me he would but wouldn't of got it past the rigmarole.

Now another story my brother caught a barbel, which at the time (1998 'ish) would of been a British record. Now my brother never ever over estimates fish, in fact the man always plays them down. He was on the grass bank opposite the embankment steps in Nottingham on the Trent (Flats end). At the time a day ticket Notts AA controlled water. I cannot remember the exact weight but it was between 17 and 18lb.*

He weighed it on two scales and searched for a witness unsuccessfully. The only way to of made a claim would of been to kill it. Not an option so it went back and he came straight around my house, jumping for joy like a child.*

Now I have spoke with others anglers regarding this particular topic, some mentioned they wouldn't have a Scooby Doo what the British record was, so if they caught one they wouldn't even know? So how many of you know the record bleak for example or sliver bream? Without clicking this link?

Fisheries.co.uk - British Rod-caught Record Fish

Be honest........ Lol
    Last edited by daniel121; 21-01-2016 at 20:45. Reason: Typo

Blog Entries

Default Re: How authentic are the British records?

They are as authentic as you believe them to be. I know of one record fish caught and witnessed by others where the captor chose not to make a record claim, even though he would have passed the test for claiming a record fish. I doubt his is the only instance of this happening.

Quote Originally Posted by The bad one View Post
    They are as authentic as you believe them to be. I know of one record fish caught and witnessed by others where the captor chose not to make a record claim, even though he would have passed the test for claiming a record fish. I doubt his is the only instance of this happening.
    Dead right, sensible bloke, i take my hat off to him.

At one time I cared about this a lot (campaigning for DNA testing for roach, rudd and crucians) but I've mellowed and have more important things to worry about. I can tell you that over the years there have been successful record claims for fish found dead, fish of the wrong species, hybrids and stuffed fish with inflated weights, and conversely plenty of record fish put back to avoid the hassle or publicity. Back in 1988 the lower Dorset Stour was dredged and that year produced loads of good-sized silver bream when the record was just 15oz and myself and others caught a number that weighed 1-0 but realised that to claim a record we would have had to kill the fish and probably when the scales were checked might well have found that the fish barely scraped the 15oz.

I assume the above list is the ' official ' one ?

Interesting the crucian record caught twice from the same water ( same fish ? ) and identical weight from another, down to the dram...
    Similarly, the rudd record by the same person but different waters...

Personally, record fish are never going to be on my radar, and if I was ever lucky enough to catch one it would be a quick photo and back it would go. With all the hassle involved ( seemingly ) plus my name up in lights, the wife being stopped in the street (!) and folk following me in the early hours..... Well, who needs it !

Mind you, a 4lb roach in perfect nick would be nice, but that's getting ahead of myself..( add a smilie here )..

Now, I do know of a carp that......................................

Quote Originally Posted by Tee-Cee View Post
    I assume the above list is the ' official ' one ?

Interesting the crucian record caught twice from the same water ( same fish ? ) and identical weight from another, down to the dram...
    Similarly, the rudd record by the same person but different waters...

Personally, record fish are never going to be on my radar, and if I was ever lucky enough to catch one it would be a quick photo and back it would go. With all the hassle involved ( seemingly ) plus my name up in lights, the wife being stopped in the street (!) and folk following me in the early hours..... Well, who needs it !

Mind you, a 4lb roach in perfect nick would be nice, but that's getting ahead of myself..( add a smilie here )..

Now, I do know of a carp that......................................
    I can imagine the busload for the gudgeon, with your name on rods, and your life history and where you spend your holidays, what a load of ****, put it back, say nothing, you know the score, two minutes glory, ten years wrecked fishng.

Spot on wanderer, spot on !

binka Guest

If I catch a record gonk I'm claiming it!

Loud, proud and bold as brass

Fame? I'm shooting from the lip here, and my memory isn't what... where was I?
    Oh, yes. Recently, there was a "Prize Rod" on ebay, a decent split-cane job with an inscription to a Mr Humphries for 1 lb, 5 1/2 oz dace; I seem to recall this being the British record for a while.

It went for less than £40.

I think it is a rigmarole for sure, I think the committee had to tighten the rules which made it so, you cannot have it both ways. Easy to claim would just mean more disputable claims which was the case once..
    We should have a record list but to me its more biological interest than the record. I don't put any great achievement to the angler, most of the time its probably just luck to catch the rarest fish in the UK.
    I would only claim a record if I could keep the fish alive and put it back, to kill such a fish would be criminal.
    The only time I caught a "record" was a Black Bream in a boat off the Goodwin Sands way back, it weighed 6lb something ounces and no one in the boat knew the record and I was given the choice of taking it ashore dead and maybe claim it; I couldn't kill a fish like that so I put it back, fortunately when I got home and checked it was a few ounces short.
    I wouldn't mind the roach record though, be nice if you had an option of remaining anonymous; I couldn't take the flack on here for being a celebrity angler.
    Last edited by markg; 22-01-2016 at 08:17.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast