What fishing related jobs do you hate the most?

B

binka

I write this as I'm sat staring at seven empty spools and a shed load of various breaking strains of line and am just building myself up to load 'em having stripped, cleaned and re-labelled all the spools.

I hate this job.

Are there any fishing related jobs you hate?

rayner

Reaction score
Drying nets is a right ball ache, I just hang them on the fence until they dry.
The trouble comes when the weather is inclement.

dann

Reaction score
Chub on the block has it spot on.

I also dislike packing all the wet, smelly and muddy stuff into the car and then sorting it all out when I get home. I am often tempted to just leave it in the car until morning but I suspect the car would be a bio hazard by morning.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Setting up, packing up.

I get some kind of perverse pleasure respooling, send them to me.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I hate loads of 'em, here's a list....

Getting my gear ready, guarantee I always forget something.
Getting up early and putting my gear in the car, especially during the colder months.
Driving to the venue.
Walking to my swim and carrying my gear.
Setting up when I get to my swim, especially so if it's raining.
Packing up, and again, especially so if it raining.
Walking back to the motor with my gear...far worse if still p!$$!n down.
Putting all me gear in the motor when I reach it.
Driving home, especially if it's a long drive!
Getting home and having to unpack everything.
Drying and cleaning my gear once unpacked....FFS....i'm shagged out after that lot......

.....don't know why I bother LOL.

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
When I leave the house to go fishing, unless I can talk her into coming with me, I have to kiss the wife goodbye.

Keith M

Reaction score
The only things that I dislike in fishing is setting my rods up on the bank at the start of the session and putting them away at the end of the day; especially in the dark; and even more so if it's cold and damp when I am doing it.

Perhaps I should ask Lord Paul how much I should expect to pay for Someone to do this for me LOL.

NB: I have an old book in which one of the writers who was writing about catching Barbel from the Thames writes "Get your man to Lay a thousand lobworms in clay balls into your chosen swim the night before you fish".
It must be nice to be able to afford to have someone to do this kind of thing for you ehh? He or she could setup my rods and put them away afterwards too (nothing wrong in dreaming) LOL. :):):w

Keith

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Setting up or packing up in the rain, that and getting stuff out of the car when I get home, thankfully the wife gives me a hand with that.

bracket

Reaction score
I don't find anything particularly arduous or tedious. For me it is still all a great adventure, but I am slightly unhinged. Pete.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Same for me I'm afraid, re-spooling line is the worst fishing related job I know.

I have tried various methods of getting the old line off of the spools but it is always a right P.I.T.A as far as I'm concerned.

I do have quite a few spools to load as well as centre pins though . . . . .

I don't mind the job too much on my fly reels though as it never seems to be so time-consuming, even when adding the backing line first.

swizzle

Reaction score
I hate loads of 'em, here's a list....

Getting my gear ready, guarantee I always forget something.
Getting up early and putting my gear in the car, especially during the colder months.
Driving to the venue.
Walking to my swim and carrying my gear.
Setting up when I get to my swim, especially so if it's raining.

Packing up, and again, especially so if it raining.
Walking back to the motor with my gear...far worse if still p!$$!n down.
Putting all me gear in the motor when I reach it.
Driving home, especially if it's a long drive!
Getting home and having to unpack everything.
Drying and cleaning my gear once unpacked....FFS....i'm shagged out after that lot......

.....don't know why I bother LOL.

I couldn't agree any more to all the above.

Chefster

Reaction score
The only thing i dont like is unloading my car,when i get back from a match and putting everything away,it really annoys me!!!:mad:
I like doing all the rig making,hook tying,bait prep,cleaning gear etc,love going,love setting up,dont mind packing up,just the bit when i get home,even worse if its been p-ing it down!!...Gazza

seth49

Reaction score
I hate it when it starts raining and I have to pack up in it plus drying everything out after.
Any thing else I don't mind, sometimes the fishing seems a bit of an anticlimax after all the preparation.
But I still enjoy it.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Not too sure about actually HATING any particular job, but many of the above I do dislike as much as the next man...
Jobs like respooling, tying hooks or sorting the tackle box I see as part of going fishing and a challenge to get dead right if I'm not going to be caught out on the bank. Not always been that way as I've had my sloppy moments so I suppose at some time or another something went wrong or I lost a fish and I knew it was down to me....

Other ' jobs ' such as cleaning or packing up wet gear and drying it out, checking the reels etc. are definitely a real bind, but again I really do see it as part of what I love to do and I pride myself on the fact that when I reach the bank for another session I know everything is in the condition it should be because I've taken the trouble to make it that way.....I could not have it any other way.....
Don't get me wrong; I too in times past, have opened up the brollie to find it mouldy and black, found a milk container from a previous outing and even a batch of maggots with something living under the lid, BUT that was in youth when I had other things on my mind................

These days, and more so as I grow older I'm happy to say I'm more than a little fussy around my fishing gear plus the fact I have the time to spend checking the detail which may sound dead boring to some but we all have our foibles..................................

Now then, having said all the above......This morning I went walking for a couple of hours in the rain and wind. I walked through field after field and up hill after hill through soggy, slippery mud made worse by laying water. It was a nightmare and an effort to remain vertical most of the time, only to be followed by the fact that I had to come home and clean everything, dry out boots AND eventually put my walking jacket in the machine for reproofing, rinsing and finding somewhere for it to drip dry, which turned out to be the greenhouse, to which I will make any number of visits to check it all !
Now THAT'S a job I really do hate !!!

ps Actually it was all worth the effort as I felt great from the exertion of walking...and lunch tasted pretty good too!!

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
It's undoing tangles, and if for some perverse reason I were ever to get another with the following cast I would be so mad and angry with myself that I may be unable to stop myself from using a four letter swearword for the first time in my life .:wh

steve2

Reaction score
I would appear to be in a minority I can't remember the last time I cleaned my gear. I get home and put it in the shed till next time. I have boxes covered in mud, Pike rod handles covered in fish scales from dead baits and a shed that smells of fishing.
Things that I hate are opening my lure boxes and having to spend time untangling the lures which weren't tangled when I put them away.