Alternative to Maggots ??

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
Im struggling with getting good quality maggots/casters from my local. To drive anywhere further would just take too much time, so i need alternatives preferably a bait as effective as maggot but easier to store.

I fish a tricky river targeting generally silvers .... roach being my favourite target. I need something if possible that can buy me a few bites in coldest weather. Bread and worm already considered.

So whats next best .... Krill maggot, hemp, tares or something else??

wanderer

Reaction score
Sweetcorn, cheese, small pieces of luncheon meat. tiny slivers of raw steak. Spaghetti.

Keith M

Reaction score
If I had no choice I would very seriously think about breeding my own maggots however this would be in the warmer months and you would not be very popular with the wife and neibours, especially if they escaped, or you couldn't contain the smell LOL.

What about trying dried or live Mealworm which you can get from pet shops? or cultivating some of the small lively redworm?.

I heard that you can get maggots and redworm (and other types of worm) delivered off the web? If this is correct that's another source you could consider,

I have caught nice Roach on woodlice in the past (when I didn't have any maggots or worms) so if you have some fallen rotting trees around it may be worth a look.

Otherwise you'll probably have to rely on other standard Roach baits like Bread flake/paste, Hemp/Tares, small grains of sweetcorn, Barley grains, cheese paste etc.

NB: Like your forum ID (Comfortably Numb) I too am a Pink Floyd fan, although I don't think that their last album was up to their usual standard LOL.

Keith

Last edited:

dann

Reaction score
Not an alternative to maggots but have a read of this thread, some good insight in there.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/general-fishing/357306-frozen-maggots.html

As an update to the above, I have been more organised recently so normally have some maggots on the go but when I have been without, I have used frozen and the krill preserved and both have caught. I tend to feed the frozen and use krill preserved on the hook.

1 downside is my hands absolutely stink after using the above combination, the type of smell that is still there after washing your hands 5 times with every type of soap in the house :eek:

Punched bread seems the next best thing but still doesn't get me the same results.

rayner

Reaction score
Not an alternative to maggots but have a read of this thread, some good insight in there.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/general-fishing/357306-frozen-maggots.html

As an update to the above, I have been more organised recently so normally have some maggots on the go but when I have been without, I have used frozen and the krill preserved and both have caught. I tend to feed the frozen and use krill preserved on the hook.

1 downside is my hands absolutely stink after using the above combination, the type of smell that is still there after washing your hands 5 times with every type of soap in the house :eek:

Punched bread seems the next best thing but still doesn't get me the same results.

My wife has a soap bar shaped piece of stainless steel that works well for taking onion smell from skin, perhaps other odours too.

Breed your own or buy maggots by the gallon treat them well and they will last a few weeks fresh, freeze some for feed.
Other baits work as already said but they are just other baits not alternatives for maggots.

bolts

Reaction score
I agree, dead maggots work well sometimes better than live ones and can be kept frozen till you need them.

if you do want live ones you could try: Fishing Bait | Live fishing bait | Willy Worms | Willy Worms

You could always order extra and split them down for use later. I haven't actually ordered maggots from them but I have had worms and casters which were both perfect and I thought they were pretty cheap.

theartist

Reaction score
Fishing a hard river in cold weather for silvers? Sorry to say this but other than breadpunch (on it's day) there's nothing out there to compete with maggots for those requirements.

You have other options re maggots

If your local shop isn't delivering the quality tell them

Try ordering some online , I tried this a few months back from willy worms and they were ok after a lot of riddling, not as good as fresh due to the delivery but usable, had to order half a gallon for the price to be the same as shop bought with postage. Also go for the next day delivery option for obvious reasons.

Also it pays not to be too put off by older maggots as long as they aren't turning they can be pretty useful when flavoured - flavouring is a must. I'd rather use flavoured old maggots that have been in the fridge for three weeks than new ones unflavoured

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
Maggot is such a perfect all round bait, it will be almost impossible to find an equivalent substitute, also able to take any fish that swims. However chopped worm is quite successful and worth a try. Pete.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
This has been covered before. Do a search for "frozen maggots" and also "my wormery" on this forum.

Comfortably_Numb

Reaction score
thanks for responses so far. My gut feeling is there probably is nothing as good for winter as already suggested

Perhaps another thread but with the demise of so many tackle shops, i wonder what the long term solution will be for the pleasure angler who wants a pint of maggots now and again??

john step

Reaction score
thanks for responses so far. My gut feeling is there probably is nothing as good for winter as already suggested

Perhaps another thread but with the demise of so many tackle shops, i wonder what the long term solution will be for the pleasure angler who wants a pint of maggots now and again??

Again, see the two threads above

Chefster

Reaction score
You can buy live maggots and casters from several bait companies and have them delivered to your door,next day,Gazza

ciprinus

Reaction score
i had a indian t/a delivered to my peg once, the pilou rice came in red white and yellow, the red ones were killer with the others used as loose feed. just a thought :D

dannyboy1

Reaction score
You can buy live maggots and casters from several bait companies and have them delivered to your door,next day,Gazza
Are they any good mate?

I think the best alternative to maggots,would be Pinkies, same thing but last longer and sink slower.

In a river you can introduce them in molehill soil with say river ace or something in in to bind it together

Sent from my HP 8 G2 using Tapatalk