Lightweight fishing chair

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can anyone reccommend a comfy lightweight chair suitable for walks when fishing swims a mile or two along the river bank? Adustable legs are a must.
I've just sold my korum accessory chair that I only used about three times as it was just to bulky and heavy for me, besides the fact that I just didn't like it...the money recouped from it's sale will go towards a new chair.
Any suggestions will be appreciated ;).

B

binka

The Nash Nomad Indulgence would be a contender Ian at just over 4kg, it's about the most comfortable chair of its type that I've had (destroyed!).

However...

I've just bought a JRC Stealth X-LIte chair which is featherweight at around 3kg, you barely know you're carrying it and I reckon it might actually go the duration as it has been fine for three or four weeks now unlike the JRC Contact which I destroyed in between two Nomads in under three weeks.

Edited to add...

A bit of an odd story in that mine is not the latest version.

Back in the early part of last year I phoned Climax in Chesterfield and asked if they would put me an X-Lite to one side to make sure they had it before travelling over there but I had second thoughts and never bothered.

I went over early this year and asked if they had one as there wasn't one on display and one of the guys there said he was sure he'd seen one somewhere in the stock room.

He came back with the chair all nicely boxed up with a post it note on it saying "reserved for Steve", it was clearly the one I had asked them to reserve almost a year earlier and he said it must have been there some time and needed clearing out.

He asked me if I was Steve, to which I replied...

No! :D

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Nash Nomad Indulgence would be a contender Ian at just over 4kg, it's about the most comfortable chair of its type that I've had (destroyed!).

However...

I've just bought a JRC Stealth X-LIte chair which is featherweight at around 3kg, you barely know you're carrying it and I reckon it might actually go the duration as it has been fine for three or four weeks now unlike the JRC Contact which I destroyed in between two Nomads in under three weeks.

Thank's Steve, funny enough those are two of the ones i'm thinking of, the other is the chub hi lite.
I also noticed another JRC chair similar to the X-lite but it's a bit heavier and has a reclining facility. Being honest I don't think i'm interested in having a recliner as it's all just added weight.

LOL, did you get it discounted since it was cluttering the place up? :).

B

binka

Thank's Steve, funny enough those are two of the ones i'm thinking of, the other is the chub hi lite.
I also noticed another JRC chair similar to the X-lite but it's a bit heavier and has a reclining facility. Being honest I don't think i'm interested in having a recliner as it's all just added weight.

LOL, did you get it discounted since it was cluttering the place up? :).

I don't know the Chub chair Ian but honestly don't think you'll go wrong with either of the others although I would opt for the X-Lite having had both.

I don't like the camo infill cushion on the new Nomad... It makes me feel all carpy! :D

Can't remember what I paid for the X-LIte, I was just glad to get out of there unrumbled!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't know the Chub chair Ian but honestly don't think you'll go wrong with either of the others although I would opt for the X-Lite having had both.

I don't like the camo infill cushion on the new Nomad... It makes me feel all carpy! :D

Can't remember what I paid for the X-LIte, I was just glad to get out of there unrumbled!

LOL....unrumbled :D.

I'll take your word for it Steve, as soon as I get chance i'll pop over to NWA and have a look at one. I think they're selling them at just over 50 notes so the korum chair money will pay for it :).

The bad one

Reaction score
Ian the JRC X-lite is the one you want, had mine 6 years with no probs and it's comfy. I regularly fall a sleep on mine and doze for 15 or so minutes :D

Mart nephew picked his up off Ebay for £30 plus p&p. It was like new, only give away was some dirt on the base of the feet.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ian the JRC X-lite is the one you want, had mine 6 years with no probs and it's comfy. I regularly fall a sleep on mine and doze for 15 or so minutes :D

Mart nephew picked his up off Ebay for £30 plus p&p. It was like new, only give away was some dirt on the base of the feet.

Thank's Phil, looks like i'll be getting one of them then :).

robertroach

Reaction score
I am looking for exactly he same thing. The only extra thing I need is for the legs to be adjustable to a good height, as I'm a tall person and don't want to be sitting too low.
Can anyone say if the JRC X-lite will do this?

B

binka

I am looking for exactly he same thing. The only extra thing I need is for the legs to be adjustable to a good height, as I'm a tall person and don't want to be sitting too low.
Can anyone say if the JRC X-lite will do this?

Without going to a much more substantial type of chair that you would struggle to lug reasonable distances the X-Lite is as high as they come from what I've seen.

I'm around 6' and it doesn't cause me any problems, there's far more extending leg than the Nash Nomad.

You would have thought it not too big a task for manufacturers to put the height range on their chairs.

robtherake

Reaction score
Without going to a much more substantial type of chair that you would struggle to lug reasonable distances the X-Lite is as high as they come from what I've seen.

I'm around 6' and it doesn't cause me any problems, there's far more extending leg than the Nash Nomad.

You would have thought it not too big a task for manufacturers to put the height range on their chairs.

What, and limit sales by telling the truth? You have to be kidding. ;)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I've had mine for years and it's still going strong, BUT, and it's a big BUT, it doesn't do to go ' dropping ' into them from height as the legs are friction grip ( on my old model anyway ) and eventually they could give up the ghost !
At 3kg they are the lightest I found ( after checking many some years ago ) so for walking they are pretty good. In fact it wouldn't be too difficult to add a strap and hang it on your bag or over your shoulder, just to keep hands free - if you see what I mean...

Only one fault - and this because I like to sit up straight - is the back does slope back some way, but I counteracted this by adding a thin wedge either side where the back section meets the main frame and it does the job for me ! ( No mechanical adjustment keeps the weight low )

I keep thinking I should replace mine just in case they stop making them ( as they do ! ) as I don't believe they can be bettered in the no frills / lightweight / class....

Well worth a look IMHO..................

APOLOGIES - I am talking of the X - Lite as well.................

Last edited:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Its not been mentioned (quite) but I have a chub lo-lite chair, which I bought with all of this in mind, and it's performed really well - I'm very happy indeed with it. Difficult to find now though I think it's discontinued? I particularly like using it on very sloped banks when you need to tuck the back legs up altogether - there's a king of bar across the back frame which makes this very sturdy.

A mate of mine just got the x-lite. When I first picked it up, I was very very jealous of the weight (or lack of it). However, as has been mentioned, I found the angle of the seat reclined back just a tad more than I would have liked.. so well worth sitting in it first if you can!

The fox adjusta chair hasn't been mentioned so far. Is that any good? Any users here? I've never used or even seen one, but I think it has a carry strap tucked away which is a nice touch.

The prestige lightweight recliner looks ok Prestige Lightweight Recliner Chair

Again, never seen one in the flesh, but seems to be the lightest out there with a full reclining system.

robtherake

Reaction score
The prestige lightweight recliner looks ok Prestige Lightweight Recliner Chair

Again, never seen one in the flesh, but seems to be the lightest out there with a full reclining system.

That looks very good indeed, Jim; I particularly like the zip pocket for stowing the dedicated strap so it doesn't get wet and mucky. At 4.4 kg it's only a couple of pounds heavier than other - non-adjustable - chairs, so a decent trade-off. It would be useful to hear any first-hand reports, though. Let Binka get one and test it for the rest of us - if it's Binka-proof it'll be fine for us ordinary mortals. :D

barbelboi

Reaction score
The JRC X- lite for me too and mine's still going strong after more than 8 years. Great lightweight with locking legs......

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thank's for all your replies gent's, I do appreciate them all.
After all the good feedback for the JRC X-lite i've just nipped over to the local tackle shop and picked one up for £53.99. They seem popular as they only had the one display chair left so I took that, saved me having to fill the bin up with packaging and a box at least lol. I did sit in it and as has been mentioned it does tilt back a little more than I would have liked, although I think extending the back legs a little more might make it a touch more upright. I did think about the JRC with the reclining device but it seemed to be high backed and it was heavier so plumped for the non recliner.
I weighed it and it was a touch heavier than the stated 3kg (6lb 6 ounces) by four ounces 6lb 10 ounces....I might take it back!....lol.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I tried extending the back legs a little to improve the back angle but all this did was make the back drop forward onto the sitting area every time I got up - very annoying !!

Anyway, the proof of the pudding etc etc................

I seem to remember mine was £28 but obviously a long time ago..

No doubt you'll come back and lambast all those who recommended it, should it fail !!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I tried extending the back legs a little to improve the back angle but all this did was make the back drop forward onto the sitting area every time I got up - very annoying !!

Anyway, the proof of the pudding etc etc................

I seem to remember mine was £28 but obviously a long time ago..

No doubt you'll come back and lambast all those who recommended it, should it fail !!

Tee cee, i've just raised the back legs a couple of inches and it brought the backrest to a steeper angle without making the seat slope down too much and there was no sign of the back falling forward even when I tapped it (maybe if it's windy it'll blow it down easier though).

If find out I don't like it I wouldn't critisize anyone for recommending it to me, they didn't make me buy it after all, they simply told me their findings all of which were good :).
I would like to have seen the chub hi lite as quite a few people can't praise them enough but they seem to be discountinued, although some are available online. I think the chub hi lites are a kilo or so heavier which would have swayed me towards the jrc in any case.

john step

Reaction score
The fox adjusta chair hasn't been mentioned so far. Is that any good? Any users here? I've never used or even seen one, but I think it has a carry strap tucked away which is a nice touch.

Jim, as I have mentioned when this item has cropped up before, its awful.

I feel they were designed to give back problems.

B

binka

I weighed it and it was a touch heavier than the stated 3kg (6lb 6 ounces) by four ounces 6lb 10 ounces....I might take it back!....lol.

Good job you didn't use Spiders scales Ian, you'd never have bought a chair weighing 39lbs :D