Lightweight fishing chair

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
The prestige lightweight recliner looks ok Prestige Lightweight Recliner Chair

Again, never seen one in the flesh, but seems to be the lightest out there with a full reclining system.

The Prestige is a very good chair. One thing about it is the length of the seat itself, could be a problem if fishing a very tight swim. It is very comfy and the back has a good recliner system.

I also have the Nash Nomad, but be careful, the new model has camo in the middle padded part of the seat. A big mistake IMHO.

qtaran111

Reaction score
I've got the Korum Supalite chair and think it's great. It's 3kg so similar to the other "lite" chairs mentioned.

barbelboi

Reaction score
The Prestige is a very good chair. One thing about it is the length of the seat itself, could be a problem if fishing a very tight swim. It is very comfy and the back has a good recliner system.

I also have the Nash Nomad, but be careful, the new model has camo in the middle padded part of the seat. A big mistake IMHO.

Might make it a bit tricky lining your ar$e up then - Oh $hit, missed the 'effin chair again and landed in the reeds.................:eek:

The bad one

Reaction score
On the subject of slopping backs on chairs, if the back goes back too far, take a brush stale whittle one end down by 3/4 -1 inch so it fits inside the tube after you've taken the plastic plugs out of it. Cut at an angle of 30 degrees roughly its 1 in to 3/4 in. Fit the 2 equal sized bugs in the tube, drill a small hole 1/8in 1/2 in from the end of the tube and screw in a self-tapper screw to secure the bugs in so they don't drop out when you're carrying it as the wood does shrink at bit. This brings the back forward more than the original plastic bugs.

I have a second chair which is a Fishrite Xtreme lite, same weight as the JRC that I did it with, works perfectly well with the wooden bugs in to bring the back forward. Sadly, Fishrite are no more, so you can't get their chairs unless they come up on fleebay.
As to the back keep coming forward Tee Cee, tighten the nuts up on the back where it joins the frame should sort it out.

Straps for chairs, college bags have straps that do the job just fine if you put two heavy duty cable ties around the frame seat side of the back legs.

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
.....Straps for chairs, college bags have straps that do the job just fine if you put two heavy duty cable ties around the frame seat side of the back legs.

A useful set of tips there, Phill. I find the HD cable ties very useful for modifying chairs - particularly if you use them to bind on large key-ring size split rings first - then you can clip on other accoutrements - using carabiners or similar spring-loaded clips. :)

One of my fishing stool/bags has a back which also has the collapsing habit - I used a bungee-strap to secure it in the upright position when in-use - it has the added advantage that it helps the chair to unfold quickly when needed.

Similarly I use a longer bungee strap around the back of my lightweight 30-Plus chair - which can be used to stop the thing unfolding in transit and secures the weighing mat tucked thereto.

Anyone got any more bright ideas for quick, cheap n cheerful, DIY mods to fishing chairs - preferably without needing an engineering workshop to implement them?:eek:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
qtaran111........The Korum Supalite chair you mentioned ; Do the legs actually ' lock ' in position when they are open ?? ( As do the JRC X-lite legs which are locked by way of a spring loaded pins front and back )

Not easy to see any form of locking mechanism in the pics I've seen, so as you have one can you confirm.....

Top job, The bad one !!

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
On the subject of slopping backs on chairs, if the back goes back too far, take a brush stale whittle one end down by 3/4 -1 inch so it fits inside the tube after you've taken the plastic plugs out of it. Cut at an angle of 30 degrees roughly its 1 in to 3/4 in. Fit the 2 equal sized bugs in the tube, drill a small hole 1/8in 1/2 in from the end of the tube and screw in a self-tapper screw to secure the bugs in so they don't drop out when you're carrying it as the wood does shrink at bit. This brings the back forward more than the original plastic bugs.

I have a second chair which is a Fishrite Xtreme lite, same weight as the JRC that I did it with, works perfectly well with the wooden bugs in to bring the back forward. Sadly, Fishrite are no more, so you can't get their chairs unless they come up on fleebay.
As to the back keep coming forward Tee Cee, tighten the nuts up on the back where it joins the frame should sort it out.

Straps for chairs, college bags have straps that do the job just fine if you put two heavy duty cable ties around the frame seat side of the back legs.

Good tip, but by the time you have carried all the tools and your gear to the swim, then done the work, its time to go home :eek:mg:

Nomad and the Prestige chairs, both come with straps.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Now be fair Clarky, how the **** would I find a camo chair in this lot.................;)
xl1_zpspi7ok7gq.jpg

barbelboi

Reaction score
If that Middlesex pub team win the PL I might just do that...............................:D

Last edited:

qtaran111

Reaction score
qtaran111........The Korum Supalite chair you mentioned ; Do the legs actually ' lock ' in position when they are open ?? ( As do the JRC X-lite legs which are locked by way of a spring loaded pins front and back )

Not easy to see any form of locking mechanism in the pics I've seen, so as you have one can you confirm.....

Top job, The bad one !!

Tee-Cee, nope, no locking pins. I actually prefer it without, as those spring-loaded pins drive me up the wall.

IMG_5481-M.jpg

B

binka

I’ve been fannying around with this back rake issue on and off all day as it’s the only thing that bothers me with the X-Lite.

I’ll leave the maths to the boffins but it seemed that a lift of just 5mm at the base of the backrest resulted in the top of the backrest moving forward around 2” which was just about perfect for me.

I toyed with the idea of building up a stack of metal washers and screwing them into the plastic end caps but didn’t like the idea of all the weight bearing down on the frame through the screw head, I then mucked around with varying gauges of tubing from old chairs with a view to making an insert extension or collar for the seat frame and in the end I’ve decided on the easiest idea of all…

Take two brolly/bivvy pegs and slide ‘em under the backrest just before settling it to its maximum position, the T part of the peg sits nicely on the bracket without the danger of falling off and the angle is perfect… It’s non-permanent too so if you do want to recline a bit it’s still an option.

If you want something more permanent just cut a couple of two inch sections from a peg and tie wrap ‘em on, due to the washers on the insides of the bracket there's plenty of room for the tie wrap to go around.

Simples :)

On the general good idea front, I much prefer banksticks as discussed in another thread but if you are struggling then have a look at the various Ultimate I-Range universal attachment arms, they’re light and reasonably cheap, with the rubber insert collars they will fit just about anything and If like me you’re a complete and utter tart they’re also green and you don’t feel like you’re surrounded by a tangle of scaffolding!

If you add an angle-tilt to the front there are infinite options on height and rake to cover all angles of rod from butt to tip touching the water regardless of the drop to the water just by where you position them on the main frame…

Animals not included.

I know that Climax stock the I-Range stuff, I’ve just checked their website to include a link and it looks like it’s a new site and it’s a right monkeys breakfast, I can’t find anything.

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
I’ve been fannying around with this back rake issue on and off all day as it’s the only thing that bothers me with the X-Lite.

I’ll leave the maths to the boffins but it seemed that a lift of just 5mm at the base of the backrest resulted in the top of the backrest moving forward around 2” which was just about perfect for me.

I toyed with the idea of building up a stack of metal washers and screwing them into the plastic end caps but didn’t like the idea of all the weight bearing down on the frame through the screw head, I then mucked around with varying gauges of tubing from old chairs with a view to making an insert extension or collar for the seat frame and in the end I’ve decided on the easiest idea of all…

Take two brolly/bivvy pegs and slide ‘em under the backrest just before settling it to its maximum position, the T part of the peg sits nicely on the bracket without the danger of falling off and the angle is perfect… It’s non-permanent too so if you do want to recline a bit it’s still an option.

If you want something more permanent just cut a couple of two inch sections from a peg and tie wrap ‘em on, due to the washers on the insides of the bracket there's plenty of room for the tie wrap to go around.

Simples :)

On the general good idea front, I much prefer banksticks as discussed in another thread but if you are struggling then have a look at the various Ultimate I-Range universal attachment arms, they’re light and reasonably cheap, with the rubber insert collars they will fit just about anything and If like me you’re a complete and utter tart they’re also green and you don’t feel like you’re surrounded by a tangle of scaffolding!

If you add an angle-tilt to the front there are infinite options on height and rake to cover all angles of rod from butt to tip touching the water regardless of the drop to the water just by where you position them on the main frame…

Animals not included.

I know that Climax stock the I-Range stuff, I’ve just checked their website to include a link and it looks like it’s a new site and it’s a right monkeys breakfast, I can’t find anything.

Nice doggy! I have a pair of old Westies (for my sins) they're the most awkward animals under the sun. :D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Binka : Re your bit about the angle of the backrest on the X-Lite.....

Very little packing required to make a big difference at the top as you say. I use a couple of aluminium packers 50mm long that just slide into the gap on the base and the vertical just rests on top. At the end of session I pop them into my pocket. I keep meaning to attach them to the chair permanently but every method I come up with doesn't deal with the problem of where they go when the chair is folded...

It's not a big issue but I don't like laying back in the chair - too far from the rods IMO !!

Still a great chair, though..

qtaran111..............................so you obviously don't have a problem with the back legs folding up under you....Just doesn't have that ' fixed ' feel to my mind, BUT if it works for you, that's fine !

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
I must be the odd one out. I have the same chair - great chair, far better than the Nash Nomads (got through two of them) - but I would like the back of the chair to recline further!

Fishing is for chilling out, not sitting bolt upright a la Easyjet!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I'd probably nod off and wake up with a stiff neck after laying back at that angle...

No, I must be upright otherwise the lower back gives me gip, but I can understand the young among us might want to lay back and grab a bit of shuteye after a night out....add a winky smilie here

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Talking if 'stiffs ' Ray, what do think the chances are of our team winning the PL ?

I suppose if one were to gaze in the proverbial crystal ball and see victory tonight, and, hope against hope, victory on Saturday, we may just be in with a chance.....

No, it's too much to ask, so I will content myself with CL footers next year..................and yet, dare one ' Perchance to dream ' ( as Willy Shakespeare once put it ) which he followed with ' aye, there's the rub '..