meat cutter?

nova12

Reaction score
I've found some meat cutters on ebay that are just mesh trays that go over your bsit box and you push it through by hand .
Anybody got any views on these do them in 6mm and 9mm for £4 fee postage don't seem to bad if it works?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Those sound to me to be a little on the unsafe side - you have to use your hand to push the meat through?

i have a MAP Meat cutter with 3 different sizes of blades and believe me those things are razor sharp; I know as I've cut myself badly twice while just cleaning them.

I can understand that they are cheap but my option would be to go and get a proper, purposely designed cutter.

thecrow

Reaction score
If this link works ( they usually don't if I put them in) this looks like what the OP is asking about, they look ok safety wise but I wonder if they will do the job properly.

SET OF 2 , 6mm & 9mm BAIT BOX MEAT CUTTERS,MATCH,CARP,FISHING,CUTTER

Nope don't work, anybody?

greenie62

Reaction score

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'm with PJ on this - the MAP one is good once you get the hang of it and it BL00DY sharp

I've also had a cut when cleaning the blades so I get Her Ladyship to clean them now

rayner

Reaction score
I have Tilley meat cutters in 3mm and 6mm.
My other cutter cuts all sizes it's called a knife.:D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have Tilley meat cutters in 3mm and 6mm.
My other cutter cuts all sizes it's called a knife.:D

I was gonn'a say...."what's up with a sharp knife". Useing a knife you can all sizes as you require 'em.

B

binka

I've got to admit that I don't use meat in a large enough quantity to require a cutter and just use a knife or the open blade of my scissors.

Now...

If someone can invent something to get the damn stuff out the tin more easily without it splitting and tearing I have money waiting :D

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've got to admit that I don't use meat in a large enough quantity to require a cutter and just use a knife or the open blade of my scissors.

Now...

If someone can invent something to get the damn stuff out the tin more easily without it splitting and tearing I have money waiting :D

Tin opener - open both ends of tin - push with finger - that's £10 please

wanderer

Reaction score

Now...

Just warm the tin up and the grease will do the rest.

robtherake

Reaction score

Now...

Take the bottom of the tin off as well and push it out, or put the tin in hot water for a few minutes to melt the fat a little and it should slide out more easily.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Those sound to me to be a little on the unsafe side - you have to use your hand to push the meat through?

Can you use the bait box lid to push the meat through?

I think that the 'proper ones' are a bit on the expensive side:eek:

Reaction score
Can verify one of PJ's bloody episodes!!! "They are dashed sharp"....that's roughly the only "translation" that will not get us barred!

Got to say I'm old school - push meat out of tin...and cut some in various sizes and rip the rest into bits.

PJ can be "old school" but he does love his gadgets.....especially his new stick-on thumb and fingers set!:thumbs:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I guess the question here is what the intended outcome of the meat is.

So for barbell fishing - where I need big hookbaits but will actually feed very little in the way of other bits of meat - I tend to cut the bait up into strips at home, then tear off chunks approx. 1 inch square to use on the hair. Like Crow says, a torn edge has a certain appeal.

For fishing for carp on a lake where I might be inclined to feed a bit... most likely i'll cube it up at home with a knife. That said, I will look still look for a bit of variety in size.

To me, the "cutter" in question just seems to be a large meshed riddle. Given that you still need to cut it in to slices in the first place (i.e. get a knife out at home) then it doesn't seem to be offering that same accuracy that the MAP one would give you?