Why River Fishing is Better Than Fishery Lakes

maceo

Reaction score
I was out at 0600 yesterday morning and down to the Thames, only to find that not only was the field where I fish under 3 feet of water, but even the car park was flooded out.

I walked the other way down the bank until I came to another flood and could walk no further, so set up there and tried a little bit on the feeder. Absolutely hopeless. The river was like the white water rapids. There was foam on the centre stream and the tops of bushes just visible poking through.

I gave it up as a bad job after an hour and packed up and went to a local still water. It's prettier than some I've been to and I did catch - of course! - you can't really fail to catch there. However, it set me to thinking why I prefer rivers to still water fishing.

1. The fish - I caught several large-ish roach, but you would barely recognise these morose, tired, muddy old things (which put up about as much fight on the hook as an empty crisp bag) as being the same species as river roach. River roach are bright, sparkling flashes of silver which take the bait with a bang and fight energetically - flapping around like wild things. Lake roach take the bait cautious and slowly, three or four bobs and wait, wait, wait, until the float eventually slides under.

When you catch a wild fish in the river, there's a good chance nobody's ever caught it before. Lake fisheries fish have been put in there for people to catch and by their resigned attitude and shabby appearance, look like they're fed up of the number of times they've been caught. They lie there waiting to be unhooked, barely moving a muscle.

I did also catch a big ugly carp of maybe four of five pounds, which is much bigger than most of the fish I usually catch on the river (occasional heart-stopping Chub excepted!) - but it didn't feel like it was 'worth' as much as catching a 1lb roach out of the river.

2. The surroundings - I mentioned the place I went to, Butler's Hill at Great Rollright, is quite pretty for a lake. However it still can't compare to the great outdoors. The lakes are surrounded by little platforms for fishing off and it's quite different from huddling down between the stingers on the river bank. You don't get to see the swans go by, or the wildlife that you see on the river. On the plus side I suppose, at least there are no boats or dog walkers.

3. The company - For mysterious reasons that I can't fathom, nobody likes river fishing and the times I see anyone else at all fishing down on the upper Thames are few and far between. Normally I'm in splendid isolation. I was the only one on the lakes to start with, but then a few more people started showing up and you start getting concerned with questions like whether you're casting into their 'bit' of the lake or pishing them off by feeding too much or something. By the river you can wander off for a pee behind a tree, but not when there are half a dozen other anglers all sat around looking at you on the lake. My fellow anglers yesterday all seemed friendly enough chaps, but I have been to bigger commercial venues which are filled with lads in white work vans with their shirts off and their radios blasting. That's really not what I'm looking for when I go fishing.

4. The ease of catching - This sounds counter-intuitive, but it's just too easy to catch on the lakes. You really don't have to be much of a fisherman. Lob pretty much any bait in on a hook and you'll catch something. That's not the case on the river. On the river it's easy to blank. You have to outwit the fish. If you're too noisy or get the feeding wrong, they'll disappear off elsewhere. On the little lake, they've got nowhere to go. Sometimes at the lakes it feels like the little magnetic fishing game you used to have when you were a kid. It feels like a commercial "fishing leisure experience" rather than getting out into nature.

5. It's a bit of a yawn - I was fishing the float on the lakes and of course, by definition, still waters don't move. So you cast in and then that's it. There's nothing more to do, but sit down and watch your static float doing nothing. On the river, the floats moving a bobbing about and ducking and you're wondering whether you're dragging the bottom or if it's the beginning of a bite. River trotting is much more all action than lake fishing. When I'm fishing the still waters, I smoke too much!

So that's my thoughts about it anyway. I realise not everyone's the same and in fact, judging by the popularity of lakes compared to rivers, I must be the exception rather than the rule.

When I paid the lady who came around yesterday, I told her I expected I'd be back a few times in the close season, so we'd see each other again. I mean it's not a terrible experience lake fishing, it's just not as good as the river I reckon.

I'd be interested to hear what regular fisheries anglers like about lake fishing and why they disdain river fishing.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There's an awfull lot of still waters I know which are as hard (at times harder) to catch from than many rivers.
I like river fishing but I also like still water fishing pretty much equally...it's all down to the venue....many still waters are quiet and beautifull places to be and have fish just as nice as the rivers, including roach.

wanderer

Reaction score
Agree with you mate bigtime, having said that i love my estate lake, but no comparison to the river, the only prob with the river is carrying tackle miles.

Keith M

Reaction score
I love fishing in rivers and streams and enjoy the fact that I can use a lot more watercraft to locate my fish and get a lot more satisfaction from it on rivers and streams.
NB: I know that watercraft is useful on both still and moving waters but I think moving water needs a lot more watercraft and also different types of watercraft.

I can't remember the last time that I blanked on a river or stillwater but I know that in the colder winter months I have less chance of a blank on my local stream because the fish are using their energy against the flow more so need to replenish their energy more.

NB: I have a strong dislike of commercials venues so I never fish them nowerdays although when I used to captain my clubs team we used to fish them quite regularly..

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I enjoyed reading your post maceo it brought back some good memories for me of river fishing.
One thing you did type that was inaccurate covered fish having nowhere to go if you get the feeding not quite right.
Waters that get plenty of pressure from anglers IE commercials, especially match lakes which I suppose covers most commercial lakes feeding is critical or crucial.
Feed too much at the beginning of a session and you'll kill your swim.
Feed anything at all in winter/cold temperatures you'll kill your swim.
You may well think that because fish are in a still water they have nowhere to go, they will go to an area where an angler uses his head and feeds appropriately and doesn't have the idea they can just throw bait at fish to catch them.
I used to enjoy rivers and had the idea commercials were easy, something I was as misguided about as you are.
If anyone eventually suffers the same misfortune as people unable to fish rivers because of ill health, age or they may even prefer still waters. They will discover fish are fish and water sources make little difference to them, we try to catch them, only anglers care about water courses not fish..The more they are caught the more wary they become river or pond.
I believe that fish born and bread in ponds learn from older fish what to avoid and piles of bait they seem to avoid.
Don't forget most anglers of my age and most quite a number of years younger than me were brought up and learnt all our fishing on rivers, canals and reservoirs. So it's not that rivers are foreign to us or impossible for us to grasp.
I don't wish to change yours or anyone else's mind regarding commercials god knows they are overfished without trying to get others involved.
I just think most natural water anglers think commercials are less than they are.
Over stocked waters are easy if fished with care, they can also appear lifeless.

Last edited:

maceo

Reaction score
Yes age and infirmity make a big difference.

I'll take my dad sometime soon up to that Butler's Hill, even though he also professes to dislike still waters. But it's fishing at least. You can park your car there, go up three steps and you're by the edge of the lake.

He's heading for 80 now and the last time I took him down to the river it half killed him even though I carried his gear for him.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I also love fishing the rivers, trotting being the method i enjoy most.

Yes you can walk for miles, and enjoy the surroundings and wildlife.

I have to say that there are a few Pits/lakes that i also fish, that are very hard to catch fish of any kind, and are in fantastic surroundings also.

I enjoy fishing, simple as that, Lakes, Pits, Streams and Rivers.

I enjoyed your post, and understand what you are saying, but i think it depends on the still water you are fishing when it comes to the fish themselves.

The bad one

Reaction score
I enjoy both in equal measures and at different times of the year. That said I have been blessed with fishing some of the most beautiful natural stillwaters in Britain, the Meres of the 3 counties of Cheshire, Shropshire and Staffordshire. On one of them I became so obsessed with it's mystery and beauty, I more or less exclusively fished it summer and winter for 18 years, making only the odd foray each year on to running water during that time.

Currently the circle has turned by half and for the last 20 years it the other way about, running water being my passion. And the stills only get visited when the rivers close.

rayner

Reaction score
Yes age and infirmity make a big difference.

I'll take my dad sometime soon up to that Butler's Hill, even though he also professes to dislike still waters. But it's fishing at least. You can park your car there, go up three steps and you're by the edge of the lake.

He's heading for 80 now and the last time I took him down to the river it half killed him even though I carried his gear for him.

I try to fish a few other waters other than commercials, canals are a favourite as parking is close at a few places close to the canal.
The way I look at it now is any fishing is good, since being forced on to man made venues I have enjoyed my fishing more than just being able to fish swims that are close to roads on canals.
Take your father when he feels the need to go, it's never too late to make memories.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Maceo

In essence I agree with everything you say... however, I would have to add that fishing a crystal clear gravel pit with all kinds of underwater features - as opposed to a lake that's been scraped out in an even bowl by a jcb - might give you a slightly different aspect to this. The Cotswold water park has a few and should be - relatively? - close by. If you catch a roach or a perch or a tench from a crystal clear lake, it will be every bit as beautiful as it's running water cousin, and will fight like you expect it to as well.

qtaran111

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of what you say and I love fishing the rivers near me (Thames, Wandle, Bourne, Medway etc). However, not all stillwaters are the same; there's a massive difference between an over-stocked commercial, a huge reservoir and a tiny estate lake, all offering different experiences and challenges.

There's a small stillwater I fish with my dad and it's a great experience to fish. Because of its size you need to be dead quiet or you'll spook everything, you need to stalk and keep back from the edge, and you need plenty of watercraft and angling skill to get the right tactics, bait and be able to land a fish safely without getting snagged up in lillies.

I enjoy fishing the rivers for similar reasons as yourself, although disagree sometimes about the surroundings/company; bane of my life fishing rivers are bloody dog walkers, 99% of which have no idea about the definition of "control"

bracket

Reaction score
I am happy fishing both still waters and rivers. However for me there is an infinite fascination about moving water, especially small rivers, which always makes it my first choice. Pete.

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
The fact that it's water with fish in and I'm sitting next to it is usually enough for me, although there's obviously a sliding scale of enjoyment based on the surroundings.

There's nothing like the music of running water, though; it has a uniquely magical quality that soothes the mind. As a lad - years away from becoming an angler - I'd sit for hours, drawing pad in hand, next to a local beck. I only have to imagine that sound to feel its calming effect.

trotter2

Reaction score
I do fish stillwaters but only when its the close season as soon as the river are open again, that's where I will be. Never too return until the next close season

It could be all as simple as that's "what your used too", and enjoy the most.:)

seth49

Reaction score
Fished rivers most of my life, up to about ten years ago, apart from reservoir trouting.

Now I seem to fish Stillwaters more as I've got older, it's a lot easier walking on level banks and parking close to were I'm fishing.

But I'm not really bothered were I'm fishing, just being out in the countryside and enjoying it.

derwentbob

Reaction score
I love trotting a stick float but these days I just can't afford the £50-£70 for a season ticket for the two or three times I can get to the river. In contrast for a fiver I can fish the local commercial which is a short bus trip down the road. I would fish the river more often if day tickets were available in the more public transport friendly stretches but they seem to be pretty much season ticket only around here. Personally though, I would kill for a bit of decent canal fishing :)

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of what you say, but there are stillwaters and stillwaters.

I returned to river angling 10 or 12 years ago to fish the waters I grew up on. At the time I was living next to a mature, 25 acre lake, with mixed fishing, that by no means could be called easy. However, it was becoming dominated by carping, and this was not really my thing. At the time , I liked the tenching, but actually, once you had a good approach , they were not so hard.

Since returning to rivers, I have found the going really hard, in terms of numbers. I have caught PB chub, eel, barbel, dace, bream, perch but good fish are pretty hard to some by. As a result, I have sort or lowered my sights, and a good day with loads of small roach , dace, bleak, etc. now feels like a good day out. Actually, now , I would probably prefer a day on the river catching a few roach I am not sure will turn up, than a morning on the lake catching tench I know will oblige.

I fished a commercial during last close season and caught big roach, rudd and a carp that would be my best. But it all seemed too easy and I don't really "count" them. I know some people love them but I guess each to his own.

I guess my main point is, in the end, we have our own favourite locations, methods, species etc and we judge our success accordingly. The great thing about fishing is, we know exactly what we have caught, and how significant it is - it's nice to have people saying well done, but at the end of the day - you get that special feeling when it all turns out well!

robertroach

Reaction score
I also agree with the sentiments but you can't generalise, even about the condition of the fish. I caught a bag of roach (mostly small) last week on the river and they were in pretty poor condition with black spot and sores. Yesterday I went to a small stillwater where the roach were bigger and more healthy and also had several chub and a 2lb perch, all in really good fettle and fighting fit.

I think water quality has a lot to do with it, regardless of whether its a still water or a river.