''Some things I've never done''.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
During my angling life few branches of the sport have eluded me. From fishing Cod off boats in the North sea, to beach casting off the east coast for Cod and the Welsh storm beaches for Bass. I've even tried my hand at fly fishing, as well as fishing for most if not all of our native species, and on occasion have enjoyed great success. But for some inexplicable reason after one half hearted attempt to use the pole I gave it away. Likewise, I have never used a boilie or a bolt rig, although I did considerable Carping back in the day. Match fishing left me cold, two attempts convinced me it wasn't for me.

So my question to you guys is, have you ever neglected a branch of the sport and come to regret it?

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Never cast a fly but doesn't upset me any, not my thing at all. Caught a handful of pike but like to have caught more predators so joining PAC to learn to do it carefully.

terry m

Reaction score
Pole fishing, fishing commercials, beachcasting, pier fishing, match fishing, never done any of these and no regrets whatsoever.

Estuary fishing for mullet, trolling lochs or big reservoirs for pike, fishing for sturgeon on the St Lawrence. Not done, but would like to. There is still time......

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Over the years I have fished for almost everything, Sea, Coarse, Match and Game using almost every method available.

I am equally at home sat behind a trio of Carp or Tench rods on bite alarms as I am with 14.5m of pole and all the trimmings, or trotting a float down the Avon or indeed method fishing on a commercial.

However, these days I tend to fly fish more than much else only due to not having to carry around so much kit needed for coarse fishing.

I have lived and worked in 11 Countries (for periods of over 18 months) so have tried most types and forms of fishing.

I have fished for Sea Trout in deepest darkest (and blooming coldest) South America and for Mahseer in India to fishing for Crappie on the bayous of Louisiana . . . . and fly fished for the resident Trout on the rivers of Canada, also fished many methods for the lovely fish in the Skane districts of Sweden.

The only real regret is that in all the years I lived in Norway I never did much Pike or Perch fishing, but then I was too tied up with pleasure and match fishing in those years.

The only one I can think of that I tried and never, ever liked, so will not give it another go was: Bass Fishing in the Southern States of America.

So, it is not a case of coming to regret it for me, as I rarely got any pleasure in chucking lumps of metal off of a ruddy expensive boat after such relatively small fish.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I have participated in most branches of our sport and been fairly succesful in most of them however I have never used a fly rod yet; even though I bought a fly rod and reel about 15 years ago after watching John Wilson using a fly rod for Carp on the TV.
One day I might get round to it I hope.

I've never caught a Pike on a Plug or Spinner either although I've caught them on wobbled baits.
I have many dozens of plugs and spinners that have never seen the inside of a Pikes mouth LOL.

Keith

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Until this year I had never tried a deadbait. I have now; I've only had jacks (and a perch) on them, but it's so exciting when the float comes alive that I wish I'd tried it years ago.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
On that same basis, Alan, wishing I'd done a lot more of it, this Summer is going to carry floating marshmallow for carp. Exciting stuff. :)

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
So my question to you guys is, have you ever neglected a branch of the sport and come to regret it?

Yes, I don't get out fishing every day. My Pike fishing, i do need to do far more.

Like many, I have to work, this keeps me fit, and many say i look young for my years. This i put down to having sex nearly everyday.

Nearly on a Monday,
Nearly on a Tuesday
Nearly on a Wednesday, etc etc :D:D

B

binka

Never had a go at fluff chucking, not necessarily because I don't think I would like it but more a fear of what it might end up costing me if I do! :eek:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I still haven't been to the Moon.....

craig1970

Reaction score
hi ive never tryed flyfishing just isnt for me,as for pole fishing tryed it never again hate it.prefer my float rod feeder rod anyday,and my spinning rod for my pike fishing

lee_j

Reaction score
I've not had a go of dropshotting yet but it's coming maybe later on in the year , owned a pole for catching live bait back in the days when I was obsessed with pike fishing ( I couldn't bring myself to live bait anymore) , had a good go on the fly with an Irish lad from work enjoyed it but missed sitting back watching tips bungs or bobbins, if we're having a holiday in England I Bob round the car boot sales before hand and pick a couple of beach rods up for fishing off the harbour wall or rocks then sell them to the locals on the last day and just bring my reels home, made a tenner profit one year in ilfracombe:D , dropshotting's the only thing I can think of and looking forward to having a dabble.

mightyboosh

Reaction score
Think I've pretty much done it all in terms of UK-styles of fishing, apart from fly fishing for salmon and saltwater fly fishing. Doesn't mean I'm very good at anything though!

seth49

Reaction score
Fished for most types of fish in British Isles, game coarse and sea over the years.
Never had a zander or catfish, I just can't get on with pole fishing, just doesn't feel right somehow,but apart from that I enjoy most types of fishing.

Especially float fishing, with a centre pin if possible. although I will use what ever reel necessary to do the job.
Still enjoying my fishing which ever style I'm using.
Quite like to try drop shotting, it looks good fun.

robtherake

Reaction score
Mastering the Wallis cast would be first on my list. I'd also like to fish with an experienced predator angler, having rarely fished for pike and never for zander, and to learn from a seasoned (and successful) lure angler. I have a fairly extensive collection of lures (second only to floats in the impulse buying department) but they're only used once in a blue moon.

The idea of fly fishing for coarse fish also appeals. Makes me wish I'd kept the tidy Shakespeare Radial rod and reel combo - picked up from a boot sale for the price of a couple of pints - that was gathering dust in a corner.

seth49

Reaction score
Keep thinking I'm going to have a go for carp on fly. Never got round to it yet.
Hope fully this year.

Just substitute a dog biscuit. or perhaps a marshmallow.

One for the bucket list?

Last edited:

derwentbob

Reaction score
There are lots of things I have abandoned after a few tries, never to try again such as pole fishing, night fishing for carp and pier fishing. The few things I regret not having had a go at yet include fly fishing from a boat, beachcasting and fishing a method feeder. I tried stick and 'pin last year for the first time and instantly fell in love with it but I don't have access to a river at the moment so maybe it is time to try something else from the bucket list.

flightliner

Reaction score
Pretty much done most things , only aspect of coarse fishing that tho interesting isnt participated in more often is using a pole, tried it along with the whip but so many other things I like to do supercede it.
Loved my match angling days in fenland and the Trent prior to turning my attention to bigger fish ( between the odd occasion going back to my roots to enjoy stickin it for a bag of Trent roach) , fly fishing took over my life for a couple of years long ago but tho I do less of it now I still go occasionally and enjoy it tremendously. My wish list of big fish is about done but still having to update it from time to time so no regrets there.
like Derek I,ve done a little sea fishing from the cobbles on the east coast and was even brought in by the lifeboat at brid years ago in a massave storm. Beach fishing too but not as much as I would have liked.
Any regrets?? Not really , catfish really are the last thing I want to see at the end of my line!!.

Last edited: