River Thames - Penton Hook Island

peterjg

Reaction score
I have not fished PH Island for a few years but I think you still need a Thames Weir permit. There is a large weir and a small lasher weir with a wooden platform next to it. When the river is up and a bit coloured I have had good catches of roach from the platform. Further round there are lots of swims better suited to legering, 100lb + bags of bream have been caught there. Down from the main weir barbel have been caught and pike. There used to be a big house opposite called Witch of the Weir and next to it was waste land with concrete staging that I have had barbel from (many years ago). Hope this helps.

theartist

Reaction score
Now the close seasons here it's not a bad place to have a stroll round on a nice day to check it out, unlike a lot of waters on the Thames weir permit where access is restricted PH is open to anyone who wants to have a look.

I remember the first couple of weeks used to be the best as everything was up there including fish from the massive lake which joins downstream. As the season wore on the fishing seemed to get harder but I was a kid back then so that was many moons ago. The overflow weir used to be sensational on it's day too.

The free bits above and below are ok too but as that's the main channel there are just too many boats going through most the time.

black rabbit

Reaction score
I have not fished PH Island for a few years but I think you still need a Thames Weir permit. There is a large weir and a small lasher weir with a wooden platform next to it. When the river is up and a bit coloured I have had good catches of roach from the platform. Further round there are lots of swims better suited to legering, 100lb + bags of bream have been caught there. Down from the main weir barbel have been caught and pike. There used to be a big house opposite called Witch of the Weir and next to it was waste land with concrete staging that I have had barbel from (many years ago). Hope this helps.

'Witch of the Weir' stands/stood four houses upstream of the weir. The bank opposite the island, downstream of the weir is the stretch that I'm interested in. Do you know who has it right now, or how I get a permit to fish it?
The concrete staging & steps down to the river is where 7 other houses stood until about 1962-63.
Any information about this stretch of water would be most useful and very welcome. Thanks

peterjg

Reaction score
I haven't fished on the concrete staging for many years. There is/was a lane on same side of the marina that (eventually) led down to a piece of waste land where you could park your car and walk to the staging. There were rumours that the bungalows that were there were built without planning permission and also that the land was owned by Lord Lucan - whether or not any of this was true I really don't know! It was impossible to get a bank stick in where I used to fish so I used to touch leger there for the barbel (with some success). When I fished off of PH Island opposite (for roach) some years ago it was regularly fished by anglers bivvied up, fishing nearer the weir.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Mr Rabbit.....Have you tried a ' search ' under Penton Hook threads ??

May not answer any of your questions but some general info ( under many different thread names ) on this part of the river going back to 2010 which you may find useful...........

Well worth a look IMO !!

black rabbit

Reaction score
I haven't fished on the concrete staging for many years. There is/was a lane on same side of the marina that (eventually) led down to a piece of waste land where you could park your car and walk to the staging. There were rumours that the bungalows that were there were built without planning permission and also that the land was owned by Lord Lucan - whether or not any of this was true I really don't know! It was impossible to get a bank stick in where I used to fish so I used to touch leger there for the barbel (with some success). When I fished off of PH Island opposite (for roach) some years ago it was regularly fished by anglers bivvied up, fishing nearer the weir.

The seven bungalows that stood there all had planning permission but were 'compulsory purchased' and demolished back in the early sixties to make way for the Thorpe Park development. As it turned out, the development never stretched as far as Penton Hook.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
The syndicate/club which controls it can be contacted by asking the local experts in Davies Angling in Staines. I used to know but I've forgotten. The name Alan Duncan rings a bell... Stew in Davies Angling should know.

black rabbit

Reaction score
The syndicate/club which controls it can be contacted by asking the local experts in Davies Angling in Staines. I used to know but I've forgotten. The name Alan Duncan rings a bell... Stew in Davies Angling should know.

Thanks for the info, will contact Davies Angling After Easter.