Drennan groundbait feeders ----

flightliner

Reaction score
I had a day after some roach today and decided on a groundbait feeder approach so used a 30grm Drennan open ended feeder, initially attached to the line on its own to cast out my groundbait, hemp, caster and maggot mix some twenty five/thirty yards distance prior to completing the rig with the hooklength in order to avoid a tangle.
After some ten casts the feeder just came apart--- just split end to end.
Thinking it was some singular misfortune I replaced the feeder with another one exactly the same and some eight casts the very same thing happened, split from end to end-- roughly three quid shot with no reason other than the material in their construction is just not suitable for its intended use.
I certainly wont be buying anymore,total rubbish,you know the ones, green, tidy insert lead strip, elongated holes with the twisted green powergum loop to swivel..:eek:mg:

robtherake

Reaction score
Most odd. Never had any type of Drennan feeder fall to bits; I thought they were indestructible. You mean the transparent plastic ones?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've had similar problems with the drennan all metal/wire cage feeders I was using on the river a few weeks ago. I am a fan of drennan but the feeder I had weren't much good, and they were expensive. I reckon i'll be looking on Sports direct for some of their ones, they looked spot on for little coin!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that the standard of quality control of Drennan kit has fallen considerably since Peter Drennan gave up running the business.

There are better options available these days unlike many years ago . . . .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think that the standard of quality control of Drennan kit has fallen considerably since Peter Drennan gave up running the business.

There are better options available these days unlike many years ago . . . .

I didn't realise Peter drennan had stepped back, I wonder who's in charge nowadays then?
As I sad I am a big fan of Drennan and the feeders I got did look and feel spot on but when I put them to use in the local river they didn't fare too well at all.
There's every chance that I managed to find some dud's, just my luck :rolleyes:.

flightliner

Reaction score
I ended up using one of my old faithful home made from plastic film containers to complete the job.
Rob, their a semi transparent green.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I also use a lot of Drennan gear including the excellent Glo tip antenna floats in various sizes as it's one of those floats I cannot readily make myself - well certainly not to his standard anyway. Part of the beauty of these floats is the very slim antenna which is made of a hollow plastic of sorts.

Now, I'm not a clumsy person by nature and I make effort to look after items that might be considered fragile, so it came as a surprise when the antenna of one of the smaller of these floats snapped, not at the extreme end, but 20mm or so above the bulb. I was miffed to say the least, but never more so when a week later another one snapped in an almost identical place - this time when wiping it prior to storing in the float box.
I don't believe I applied undue force and anyway I would expect them to at least deal with handling required of a float, but they just snapped with a ' crack ' and were no more............
As I say, it could have been me, but having had one go I took extra care with the other so I can only think the plastic was brittle ( it definitely ' snapped ' ) when I would've expected it to at least ' bend' a little first before actually breaking !

Anyway, brittle or not, clumsy handling or not, I suggest anyone buying them ' handles with care ' for what is otherwise a very good float............

ps Not being one to waste anything I have managed to reuse the broken top sections within another float of my own making and the base, once drilled out to remove the remaining section of antenna, has been used in the same fashion, and very good they look too !!

I hope Drennan products don't drop in standard; that would be a great pity for those who like decent gear without paying top, top dollar..we shall see..............

greenie62

Reaction score
..........ps Not being one to waste anything I have managed to reuse the broken top sections within another float of my own making and the base, once drilled out to remove the remaining section of antenna, has been used in the same fashion, and very good they look too !!............

Likewise Tee-Cee - I have had several of these that have 'shed' their tips over the last year - and am building-up a nice collection of 'glo-tips' for modifying any other floats whose tips get a bit tarnished and could do with a pimping! ;)

Why they break so readily is a mystery - it doesn't seem to happen after a common event - like hitting a far bank wall - which has been known to damage other float tips:eek: - it just seems to be random and sudden:eek:

They are tops for visibility for me and the shot gradation between the colour bands is fine - suits roach and Crucian bites to a 'T'.

Tight Lines :thumbs:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I can't say i have had a problem with any of my Drennen plastic feeders, but have had the metal cage feeders fall apart.

The one problem i did have with one plastic feeder was the power gum, east fix with some more power gum.

I have noticed that the Drennen floats don't seem to have the same finish as in the past, I enjoy making my own, but if i was going to buy a Float, i would look at Drennen first, but not any more. Never had any break, just the finish doesn't look great.

B

binka

All this sounds like to me is a thread about extreme clumsiness by people who are simply prone to breaking things.

Unlike me.

A-herm. :wh

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Good to see it's not just me and Binka who break things !

Re the Glo Tip floats ; As you know the antenna is hollow, so in effect its a ' tube ' which is not very good in bending. The hole in the antenna is so small I do wonder if it would be better as a solid stem and so stiffer ? The difference in weight would be so minimal I couldn't see it affecting the float performance....

Personally, and I don't have anything to back this up, I still believe the stem is too brittle.....

Any road up, its still a wonderful float to use so I will replace the broken ones and probably buy another set as back up !!

ps Can't wait to fish them again for crucians......................roll on the warmer weather !!!