Are angling standards dropping?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I must make this clear first, I do not consider myself to be anything better than bang average. I don't do anything particularly clever and absolutely nothing innovative. In fact, a lot of what I do is fairly basic and bordering on the agricultural. This is not about me bigging myself up. However, I'm increasingly bemused by the very low standard of angler, of all types, that I see on my travels. The type of venue doesn't seem to matter much, nor does the age of the angler encountered.

I recall being regularly impressed by random unknown anglers abilities. From random little old men with antique gear to teenage matchmen. These days, it seems to rarely happen. Even the occasional opportunity to watch big name anglers have left me underwhelmed by all but a few.

The number of folk I hear bemoaning a lack of fish, in venues that I know contain eminently catchable fish in decent numbers, saddens me. What I find even more strange is that many will watch someone close by catching and not even think that maybe they are doing something wrong, let alone trying to work out what the other bloke is doing right.

What do you lot think, are general angling standards dropping?

robtherake

Reaction score
Without a doubt. A walk round a new venue was once extremely revealing; without bothering to talk to anyone - just observing - it was possible to glean a fair bit of useful information. It's now increasingly rare to come across a competent angler, full stop.
Like Sam, I'm under no illusions with regard to my own set of skills, such as they are, but I grew up in a pre-carp age, where it was essential to think about the situation in order to get the best out of it.

greenie62

Reaction score
...What do you lot think, are general angling standards dropping?

I can see what you mean Sam - I'm tempted to say it's the 'instant-carper' syndrome that's been sold to them - with no need to 'serve an apprenticeship'.

Whilst feeling sorry for some - I s'pose I also selfishly feel "never mind - all the more for me"! :eek::rolleyes:

D'ya think there's a more marked difference on rivers or stillwaters? - I see so few on the rivers that it's difficult to tell!

However I do note a general increase in dropped litter on banks - don't know if that's part of the same problem or not :eek:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yes, I've thought that for quite a few years now. It's only during the 'close' when I'm fishing 'stills' that I notice it, during the river season (unless with a friend) I rarely see another angler...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd say yes, and that applies to a lot of anglers and the majority of tackle!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can see what you mean Sam - I'm tempted to say it's the 'instant-carper' syndrome that's been sold to them - with no need to 'serve an apprenticeship'.

Whilst they undoubtedly aren't the allrounders I'd wish to be, I don't think that's it. I know a few younger carpers that have developed into decent, if a little limited, anglers. The fact that most of them wouldn't know what to do with a float is neither here nor there.

D'ya think there's a more marked difference on rivers or stillwaters? - I see so few on the rivers that it's difficult to tell!

Not especially. Like most, I see few on the rivers. Those I do see are either a very small number of pretty good regulars, or pretty rubbish occasionals. The latter invariably fish totally ineffectually and go away complaining that there are no fish in the river, otters have had them all, etc etc. I regularly watch such anglers destroy good swims within seconds of their arrival, get baits and tactics all wrong, and are uninterested in any help, even when offered in the most gentle terms possible. The only real difference between rivers and stillwaters that I see is in the overall numbers of anglers. However, even that wouldn't apply if I discounted the more commercial stillwaters.

rayner

Reaction score
I don't think I care if standards or up or down, if people want to be more knowledgeable or productive the opportunity for them is there.
They must be happy doing what they do or they would surely change.

I see a lot of older anglers around my age who have thick float tips sticking far too far above the water that they would never fish correctly, it must be down to poor vision. I never considered poor eye site and just thought they were low on skill.
I now sort of understand why with my eyes being as they are.
I have modified quite a lot of floats so I can still have a thick tip with a big show but still having the float dotted down, sounds crackers but it's true and it works very well.

I can remember a few years ago watching a young lad probably around 16 or 18 at Long Eaton fishing a stick he looked very adept getting a fish every run through. Feeding three time every trot down the swim, holding back ,stopping for a second or two then holding back inching through the swim.
I think more is gleaned from learning to fish a river than any other water.
This young lad certainly had skills.

Most anglers these days go for the easy option and put more into comfort so river fishing is far too much trouble.
I have gone down that same route but had my time fishing the Trent and still miss it'
Over recent years with commercials having toilets, easy parking with nice pegs to fish from and little walking than we did years ago plus there are several fisheries close to hand not all anglers but definitely some have gotten complacent and don't appear to be putting effort in, that may be why standards seem to be lower.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't think I care if standards or up or down, if people want to be more knowledgeable or productive the opportunity for them is there.
They must be happy doing what they do or they would surely change.

I'm not especially concerned, particularly if they are happy. However, when poor anglers go away slating venues, especially club venues and rivers, it's a little more concerning. Large numbers of people slating more natural club venues can destroy clubs in fairly short order. It's little wonder that many clubs are suffering and that the richer ones are attemting to mimick commercial venues and stocking levels. It's small wonder that many rivers and more natural venues are greatly underfished when a large proportion of anglers struggle to catch from them due to their own deficiencies.

john step

Reaction score
I do agree but as already stated the older you get the harder it is on the vision regarding float fishing. I get round this by gluing a long nylon bristle in the top of wagglers that only take a 8 or 10 to override.

I also agree that the drift away from naturals to commercials has dumbed down ability. Roach/ dace were good teachers. As were rivers.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I think it depends on what kind of fishing your doing. Many think carpers, Barbel anglers lazy, as many just sit back and wait, not having to use any skill as such. The fact that the skill is in the way they feed a swim, or present the bait, goes over other anglers heads.

At the end of the day, if an angler is catching, and is happy doing it his way, there is nothing wrong with that.

That is also the same about tackle. You don't have to have the most expensive rods and reels, and having them doesn't make you a better angler than anyone else. The fact is, most i know who do have all the gear, have no idea.

I once proved that point to an angler at Stanborough Lakes a numbers of years ago. I was fishing with friends, the guy in the next peg with the £2,500 pole was giving it large. So i got a branch, put on some line ,Float, hook etc, and started catching. You can have a Hardy, Harrison, Century rods, whatever, it means nothing if your not catching.

Have Standards dropped ? I am not so sure. If anything anglers have become more lazy and don't walk the banks as they used to. This with some will be down to age and the ability to get around, thats understandable. This is why commies are doing well, anglers can, park easy, have everything there they need.

New anglers coming into the sport think thats the way it always was. Most don't know how to trot a float, walk for miles, or take the minimal amount of tackle.

Those that don't bother to change things around to try and catch, don't want to, its not the way they fish. Don't worry about it, its more fish for everyone else to catch.

Some anglers you just can't help, no matter what you tell them, or what they are shown.

robtherake

Reaction score
A lot of it seems to be attributed to the fact that fish in overstocked venues are so much easier to catch: there's always something that'll take the bait, even if it's a blade skimmer, and so these anglers have an acquired laziness. I'd venture to say that for most anglers, as long as they're catching, they're happy. Having to work harder would force them to become better anglers, but it ain't going to happen anytime soon.
Angling was never a business in the way it is now: for many fishery owners it's purely a commercial venture and is their main concern, rather than a paying sideline, which it very often used to be. In short, easy fishing makes happy, but lazy anglers.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I don't think there's anyone around much to show the kids the variety and skills. Trotting for chub under a tree, running a spoon for pike ; showing them what to look for on a river, casting a fly etc. Shame really. My old man took me all over the place, showed me all sorts when I was a kid; loved all of it. I don't think that happens much these days. I didn't become skilled but I learned all the basics and added a few along the way.
Its a shame, they must miss out on a lot of fun really as well as the enjoyment of often learning something new, seeing something different. I would have found it mind numbing when I was a kid just sitting waiting for a carp bite for hours on end, same commercial week after week.. I was lucky, a good old dad, he was not skilled as such but he knew how to keep me interested and make it fun.
So, angling skills have declined I would say. Standards , I am not sure about but there were always lessons in etiquette that had to be taught as well and the old pop was pretty strict about that and they don't get forgotten once drummed in a young mind. These days, being polite to people means you must be gay.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
I agree that angling abilities have dropped and believe that one reason could be that everything these days is set up for angling to look easy, buy the latest wonder bait and catch, fish with the most expensive rods, reels, etc, its made to look easy by those that make a living from selling tackle and bait a prime example being the dropping of a lead when a fish is hooked.

There are hundreds of videos showing how to fish this or that way and showing fish being caught on different baits/tackle but I have yet to see one that shows how difficult angling skills can be to aquire apart from perhaps ones showing the Wallis cast.

When I was a kid we were like sponges always watching and questioning local successful anglers, kids or newcomers to angling just don't seem to be like that anymore, trips to rivers with local clubs were an adventure even though we may not have been brave enough to fish the matches it gave us the chance to have a bash at methods that the older anglers were using, it gave us the chance to improve, there is not as much need nowadays to improve and that's a pity as learning new stuff no matter how small has always been part of the attraction of angling for me.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Angling doesn't have the kids coming into angling as in years gone by.

Kids would rather be sitting at a PC, Playstation, or sending text messages to friends. Not sitting in the cold and wet.

Kids want to catch carp, they may start on commies, then move on.

There is a problem with kids in angling, and its always been there, CLUBS.

Clubs treat kids just as that, kids. Yes they may have the odd match for them, but time isn't spent with them showing them different methods. Thats down to clubs and its members. There are clubs that give time, but as i said, the amount of kids coming into angling just isn't there, so its a catch 22.

Having junior fishing days helps get kids into angling, but you can't teach all angling methods in a day can you. I was in a club as a kid, and we had some good young anglers, so good that we took on the senior members in a match, and kicked their backsides, more than once. Kids today, don't want to learn about float fishing methods.

Give them a carp rod and alarm, they will be happy.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can well understand the concerns about the lack of youngsters taking up angling. However, there's nothing stopping those that do becoming good anglers, even if they are limited after being seduced by out and out carping. It also fails to explain why so many anglers that are the wrong side of forty lack skills.

Most clubs don't do a great deal for youngsters, but most never did. Many simply can't afford to, even if the will was there. Whilst accepting that perhaps clubs could do more for youngsters, you've got to have youngsters to do something for. I can also say that no club helped me with my angling. I've never been coached and my old man doesn't fish, neither does any other relation. I read, watched and learned, still do, possibly more so now.

The opportunities are there for anglers of all ages to read, digest and learn from all sorts of angling media, far more than there ever used to be. Outside of restrictions in time and money, I'm not really convinced that there are many genuine excuses for any angler being unable to get to a standard way in excess of that I commonly see.

thecrow

Reaction score
I have belonged to two single species groups (same fish) my membership of these groups were many years apart but when forming a junior section was mentioned the reaction was the same with both of them, an emphatic no. At both groups the suggestion was that youngsters were shown not only how to catch fish using different methods but how to look after them once lands, from what I have seen at times its not only kids that need tutoring in that.

The reasons given ranged from the problems? of police checks and insurance, to a flat I don't want kids with me when I am fishing, the latter comment was enough for me and I never renewed my membership of that particular group and although I am still a member of the second group I participate very little.

No matter what branch of angling is taken up I think we should be thankful that some youngsters are coming into the sport because without new blood angling and everything that goes with it will die. You never know they might just move on to other branches.

Chefster

Reaction score
I must make this clear first, I do not consider myself to be anything better than bang average. I don't do anything particularly clever and absolutely nothing innovative. In fact, a lot of what I do is fairly basic and bordering on the agricultural. This is not about me bigging myself up. However, I'm increasingly bemused by the very low standard of angler, of all types, that I see on my travels. The type of venue doesn't seem to matter much, nor does the age of the angler encountered.

I recall being regularly impressed by random unknown anglers abilities. From random little old men with antique gear to teenage matchmen. These days, it seems to rarely happen. Even the occasional opportunity to watch big name anglers have left me underwhelmed by all but a few.

The number of folk I hear bemoaning a lack of fish, in venues that I know contain eminently catchable fish in decent numbers, saddens me. What I find even more strange is that many will watch someone close by catching and not even think that maybe they are doing something wrong, let alone trying to work out what the other bloke is doing right.

What do you lot think, are general angling standards dropping?
Everywhere i go there seems to be good anglers,who are very competent,i think personally the standard is higher than it used to be...in the old days,of club fishing everyone was quite low standard,now the gulf between the top match guys and the average clubbie,is a lot smaller:rolleyes:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I suppose I was very fortunate when growing up to have a father who was very, very keen on fishing. It was he who bought me my first fishing rod when I was seven years old and although I was never allowed to take it out alone, he made sure I fished every weekend either on the Grand Union Canal a lake of sorts, or on a club outing. This was partly because he didn't want me sitting around or going out with friends causing trouble....I never needed encouragement though !
My father did teach me a great deal ( mainly patience ! ) but the majority of my knowledge came from some of the kindly souls in clubs who were prepared to help me on the bank and at least give me some insight into fishing with a set up that might catch me fish. I learnt about fishing elderberry, hemp, cubes of crust, worms - in fact everything apart from maggots and venues from Avon in Hants to Waveney in Norfolk. It was a great grounding and to this day I fall back on what I was taught at that time......

As I say, in hindsight, I was very lucky when compared to kids of today, as up to the age of fifteen I really don't know how they even get to the waterside, let alone fish, simply because they haven't got anyone to take them, unless dad is prepared to give time and /or has an interest himself and the wife can spare him from weekend duties etc etc
I belong to one club at the moment which does a very good job in helping youngsters with teach-in's from time to time, but, and it's a very big but, I never every see those same kids on the water with a parent ( and this a club with a small water just for kids providing they are accompanied with an adult ) at any other time of the year including school holidays in the summer, so I can only assume they never, or hardly ever fish outside club organised events.
I have even had a mum ask me to keep eye on a youngster as he loves fishing but she hadn't the time to stay, but having declined for so many reasons I was sad the boy had to do without.

So, my question is ;How are the young supposed to learn of fishing and all it has to offer between ( say ) seven and fifteen without the sort of help I had ? No interested parent, lack of time.......and yes, I would agree it was probably the same for other kids of my generation, but in those far off days I seem to recall many just going to the local park, buying a 6d ticket and go through the motions before they got bore....................I'm not too sure parents these days would allow such freedom, just the safety aspect would be sufficient fo r concerned parents to say no, you cannot go !

As far as standards are concerned among anglers of my age and many below, I suggest the main factor is in many cases just downright laziness and a general ' can't be bothered ' to make changes when failing to catch. How many times do I see the same old float' same old rod and same old bait just plonked into the water for whatever swims along and when it doesn't they can pack up with the same ' they weren't havin it today ' as total justification for that failure. I have tried to the point of getting very cross to change this attitude in some pals but without success...............These same folk just see me catching as coming under the banner of ' he's a very good fisherman ' or, even worse, ' he manages to sit on a shoal of fish every time ' ....how sad is that !!
When I suggest this is a load of cobblers and total nonsense, I'm met with a knowing smile - -No I can't fool them !!

I'm sure some kids are helped by volunteers and clubs, but how much more could be done to take them away from all thing electronic and owning a knife for ' protection '......

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
I wouldn't say angling standards are dropping, from what I see on my club lakes those that fish are doing what they do well. Unfortunately they are all fishing the same way, a carp set up and a bucket of boilies. They know that what they are doing will catch them a fish and that is all they want.
They don't care if they can't use a float because they will never have to. Most of them will never fish a river and most of them will never fish closer to the bank than 50 yards.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Everywhere i go there seems to be good anglers,who are very competent,i think personally the standard is higher than it used to be...in the old days,of club fishing everyone was quite low standard,now the gulf between the top match guys and the average clubbie,is a lot smaller:rolleyes:

I'm pleased to hear that the commie match scene is ram jam full of decent anglers. That must be where they've all gone. For good or ill, I'll not be seeing much of them.