''A bittersweet situation''.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
It's a bitter pill to swallow, but the realisation that I will never need to buy any more tackle has finally arrived. Gone are the days when I would wait with eager anticipation the release of a particular rod or reel.

I already have tackle to deal with any situation, and spare back up bits and bobs. So it's no longer an itch I can't scratch, there must be others out there who feel the same way. What about you?

lee_j

Reaction score
It's a bitter pill to swallow, but the realisation that I will never need to buy any more tackle has finally arrived.

If I told my Mrs I never need to buy anymore tackle she'd probably do the conga round the house , if I was in that situation though Derek I think I'd still be buying new tackle that comes out just to try it out knowing it holds its price on eBay for resale , you never know you still might find something you can't live without :thumbs:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
It's a bitter pill to swallow, but the realisation that I will never need to buy any more tackle has finally arrived. Gone are the days when I would wait with eager anticipation the release of a particular rod or reel.

I already have tackle to deal with any situation, and spare back up bits and bobs. So it's no longer an itch I can't scratch, there must be others out there who feel the same way. What about you?

Outrageous ! Never,never,never. There is always something that needs upgrading and even if it doesn't do it anyway. I've already had 3 new rods this year...another is in the offing plus a new pole.

I could also probably fish for the rest of my allotted span with what I've already got but where's the fun in that ?

Go and lie down until this odd feeling passes.

mikench

Reaction score
Whether it be fishing tackle,a new car, shirt, pair of shoes or even an Indian takeaway , often the real pleasure is the careful consideration beforehand, the agonising over whether it and the associated expense can be justified. Then there is that eureka moment when you say **d it you only live once and it is what i want and I deserve it. I have had more than my share of such moments and rarely regret them whether spending thousands or just a few pounds.

You then have the minutes ,hours or days of gleeful anticipation awaiting delivery or the trip to the shop: priceless! My postman and I are on first name terms as he is always intrigued by all the various packages being delivered from all over. I feel the need coming on already. I think I can justify a set of guru pellet cones and the ice cream to go with them!

Do not deprive yourself of such pleasures Derek, just take longer to decide and soak up all those guilty feelings of anticipation. Open a nice bottle of Hermitage while you deliberate

flightliner

Reaction score
I know where you're coming from Derek but I could'nt resist buying a new quivertip rod last week. I only went in the shop for a pint of reds!

steve2

Reaction score
I must have reached that point, I walk round two tackle shops and a market stall yesterday and couldn't find anything to spend money on.
Everywhere and everything looked I looked that it was carp,carp,and more carp. I just can't stand carp.

terry m

Reaction score
I certainly empathise with Derek's post.

As the previous poster says I can walk around shops and not find anything I need, or even 'nice to haves' that I can justify to myself.

However things fail, bivvys tear, rods get trodden on so never say never....

seth49

Reaction score
Suppose I could say I've enough tackle to see me out, but there's always something that catches my eye.

There's always something new comes out that I think I really need. So I have to have it. I love gadgets, I even bought one of the Deeper sonar jobs the other day, not really as a fish finder, but it's going to be handy to map the lakes with.

Tried it the other day for a short time, seems to work well, shows type of bottom and depths, and plenty of fish :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I know shops that have less gear than I do. I rarely "need" to buy anything major. That doesn't, and probably never will, stop me buying new stuff. I'll make no bones about it, I like buying new gear.

I like finding something that's better than I've already got, even if it's just for a niche scenario. I don't like making do with a tool that doesn't quite cut a given situation, even if it's excellent in others. I won't make do with a single float rod for every scenario. I want longer rods for rivers, different actions for trotting and waggler work, lighter actions for light line work for the smaller species etc etc.

I like buying stuff at bargain prices. I like buying stuff that's not exactly mainstream, completely ignored or occasionally quite odd.
The biggest problem is that I find the stuff that I want to buy is getting increasingly expensive. Hopefully, there will come a time when I only need to replace stuff that gets Binka'd. I'll not hold my breath though.

rayner

Reaction score
Thinking I have enough tackle I've felt that feeling.
I've suffered the affliction a couple of times but managed to fight it off.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I know where you're coming from Derek but I could'nt resist buying a new quivertip rod last week. I only went in the shop for a pint of reds!

Good Man....that's the spirit! When the Big Guvnor upstairs calls me to the weigh-in I have no intention of rocking up at the Pearly Gates carrying Avanti rods in a Ron Thompson holdall !

---------- Post added at 12:14 ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 ----------

I know shops that have less gear than I do. I rarely "need" to buy anything major. That doesn't, and probably never will, stop me buying new stuff. I'll make no bones about it, I like buying new gear.

I like finding something that's better than I've already got, even if it's just for a niche scenario. I don't like making do with a tool that doesn't quite cut a given situation, even if it's excellent in others. I won't make do with a single float rod for every scenario. I want longer rods for rivers, different actions for trotting and waggler work, lighter actions for light line work for the smaller species etc etc.

I like buying stuff at bargain prices. I like buying stuff that's not exactly mainstream, completely ignored or occasionally quite odd.
The biggest problem is that I find the stff that I want to buy is getting increasingly expensive. Hopefully, there will come a time when I only need to replace stuff that gets Binka'd. I'll not hold my breath though.

Spot on ! That could have been me saying that.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Derek,

In my dotage, I no longer seek the latest, most modern, but look for rods and reels I could not afford in my younger years.

In the last year I got hold of a Roach Perfection and a Fred J Taylor Roach, I also managed to buy a one-off Gary Mill centrepin and should have a Chris Lythe Pin by the beginning off the new river season.

I know that these rods and reels will not catch me any more fish than the ones I already own, it's just that I had an itch and I had to scratch !!

Bob

B

binka

I've certainly slowed down these last couple of months following a major splurge which lasted around three!

If I took away all of the gear which i've bought because I wanted it instead of needed it there would be a bit of an echo in the garage :)

---------- Post added at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:22 ----------

When the Big Guvnor upstairs calls me to the weigh-in I have no intention of rocking up at the Pearly Gates carrying Avanti rods in a Ron Thompson holdall !

Pure S-Kippy gold! :D :D :D

mightyboosh

Reaction score
Whether it be fishing tackle,a new car, shirt, pair of shoes or even an Indian takeaway , often the real pleasure is the careful consideration beforehand, the agonising over whether it and the associated expense can be justified. Then there is that eureka moment when you say **d it you only live once and it is what i want and I deserve it. I have had more than my share of such moments and rarely regret them whether spending thousands or just a few pounds.

I think you've got that spot on! As young people would say YOLO :)

Even after many hours of research, I do get it wrong occasionally which is frustrating as I'm quite particular about things. However, I'm not fickle, so if I find the right item, I will take great care of it and will be using it a decade or more later.

Aussie Bob

Reaction score
Thinking about it if I couldn't spend any money on any new fishing tackle now, I could quite happily fish for the next couple of years using a variety of methods. Probably run out of hooks first if anything.
If I have behaved myself and saved some money and don't have any pressing bills then I wll buy some bits and pieces but any major purchases I do have a good think about. Strangely enough I am far more cautious buying on the net than in the shop.
I am 'looking' at getting a fly tying kit but have been procrastinating about it now for a while and researching what I really need/want (yes there is a difference!!) As long as I don't get addicted to centrepins (did see a nice Alvey one in the shop the other day !) or any of the Hardy , Sage , Scott etc brands I should be ok....

S-Kippy

Reaction score
That's how I've ended up with a Diawa TDX reel, never underestimate the true cost of maggots :doh::D

Funny how you have to walk past the expensive,shiny stuff to get to the bait isn't it ? In my local shop you have to negotiate rods, reels, alarms,nets etc before you get even a sniff of a float rubber.

Like a trail of smarties into the caretaker's boiler room. :eek:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have plenty of stuff that never sees the light of day, I must stop some day; its the bargain I cannot resist, thank god there's not an anglers pound shop, I would empty it in a week.