Question about hemp seed

laguna

Reaction score
Is it just me or does it seem to be that the mankier a bait gets, the more the fish want it? Definitely the case with cheesepaste!
No coincidence Jim!
Lovely with a bit of fur on... :)

---------- Post added at 18:08 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

Also can you freeze lunchen meat aswell if i cubed it in to 6 and 8mm pieces or would it loose it's taste a bit or make it watery.
Yes it will lose its taste and make it waterery (due to cellular freeze damage), There are better ways to preserve raw/uncooked foods but it doesn't really matter with processed foods.

rayner

Reaction score
On manky hemp - the carp lads reckon that fermenting or otherwise smelly hemp pulls carp in like a magnet, but the roach-fishers always used to insist on the freshest bait.

Is it a difference between the species, or just humans getting it wrong?

If I'm fishing for Carp I have the hemp in the sunlight for a few days to go off, smells a bit cheesy. This stuff I cup in.
For Roach I do prefer fresh as my hands are in it every cast and the smell is not really good.
I get the idea fish prefer rotten food as it's easier for them to eat. Works well with corn too.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Thanks! That perspective hadn't occurred to me. I might try some "mank" fed little-and-often with a throwing stick, and try fresh or fake hemp on the hook, and see whether it produces roach or carp. Or, it being me, nuffin.

rayner

Reaction score
Thanks! That perspective hadn't occurred to me. I might try some "mank" fed little-and-often with a throwing stick, and try fresh or fake hemp on the hook, and see whether it produces roach or carp. Or, it being me, nuffin.

I only used sour hemp once using my catapult and got covered in the spray of hemp water that whiffed. It got stronger through the session and got really whiffy.
I had a match winning weight of Bream shallow with a caster hook bait.
I had to get undressed in the back garden and my tee shirt went straight in the bin. My wife can detect anything a little whiffy at 50 paces, mank as you call it is a good name.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Alan Tyler...Fake hemp ; This I have tried many times even when catching fish on the real stuff, but never a sniff ( excuse the pun ). I have even soaked them in hemp juice overnight but still ziltch...

Have you actually caught using it, or have you been caught, like me, by the tackle shop and hype....?

( I now use giant hemp ( similar size to the fake ) and it works - from time to time....)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Alan Tyler...Fake hemp ; This I have tried many times even when catching fish on the real stuff, but never a sniff ( excuse the pun ). I have even soaked them in hemp juice overnight but still ziltch...

Have you actually caught using it, or have you been caught, like me, by the tackle shop and hype....?

( I now use giant hemp ( similar size to the fake ) and it works - from time to time....)

Tony, I've found that 'fake' hemp works better than the real stuff on some waters and was all that I used for the better roach on the farm pond and SP. I used to hook an '18' through the 'white bit' and turn it all the way round and half way up the shank leaving the point fully exposed.

You still need to feed the real stuff though..................;)