Ban on bread

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
A couple of places I've fished recently have a ban on bread , when I asked the bailiff why (politely I might add, just to find out the reason) I was told at both places that some of the ingredients in modern mass produced bread that isn't good for fish

Has anyone else heard of this

floatfish

Reaction score
Not heard anything bad about bread, other than one place I fish has a bread ban based on the volume that was being put in. That was bad for anything
on or in the place. Notice says " not even for the Ducks."

mikench

Reaction score
No i haven't. Did he attempt to save you by confiscating your butties!:)

On a serious note some of the ingredients in bread promote algaeal growth/blooms whch can cause a loss of oxygen in the water which can kill fish. This is exacerbated if eaten by ducks, geese and other birds because their excrement has this effect.

This could only be caused if dozens of fishermen threw loaves of bread into the lake on a regular basis. A tiny 4mm circle is hardly going to be a problem! On a lake I fish the ducks are a "bloody pain" and home in on the slightest splash and attempt to grab your pellets as they hit the water.

We have to share!:wh

steve2

Reaction score
Bread not good for fish, I suppose hooking them is. Fish welfare rules always puzzle me.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
A couple of places I've fished recently have a ban on bread , when I asked the bailiff why (politely I might add, just to find out the reason) I was told at both places that some of the ingredients in modern mass produced bread that isn't good for fish

We have a ban on feeding the ducks and geese at the pool I fish on the grounds it is a small pool not very deep and has no Continuous water feed in so needs looking after also the goose droppings are a total PITA as they were fed on one of the pegs.

Sent from my 8055 using Tapatalk

robtherake

Reaction score

No, but something I read recently was deeply disturbing and has rather put me off bread that isn't organic.

In the USA, wheat crops are sprayed with a massive quantity of Monsanto's Roundup (glyphosate) weedkiller prior to harvest, to ensure that all the grains ripen at the same time. This product - which has been found to be carcinogenic and doesn't biodegrade as per manufacturers initial claims - has been found in the freshwater supplies of just about every country in the world. It moves through soil water and underground water systems to permeate every waterway in the countries where it's used.

Any wheat imports from the States - and we import wheat in some years when the domestic crops have been poor - will be contaminated if they've used this process to ripen the crop.

This planet is being poisoned to death, folks, and we don't have another one to go to.:(

The Real Reason Wheat is Toxic : snopes.com

This may be good news, though: https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ikely-as-eu-refuses-limited-use-of-glyphosate

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
...This planet is being poisoned to death, folks, and we don't have another one to go to.:(......

If we did - it would probably be on a PFI-initiative spacecraft sponsored by a Pharma / Pesticide company! :eek::eek:mg:

bullet

Reaction score
No, but something I read recently was deeply disturbing and has rather put me off bread that isn't organic.

In the USA, wheat crops are sprayed with a massive quantity of Monsanto's Roundup (glyphosate) weedkiller prior to harvest, to ensure that all the grains ripen at the same time. This product - which has been found to be carcinogenic and doesn't biodegrade as per manufacturers initial claims - has been found in the freshwater supplies of just about every country in the world. It moves through soil water and underground water systems to permeate every waterway in the countries where it's used.

Any wheat imports from the States - and we import wheat in some years when the domestic crops have been poor - will be contaminated if they've used this process to ripen the crop.

This planet is being poisoned to death, folks, and we don't have another one to go to.:(

The Real Reason Wheat is Toxic : snopes.com

This may be good news, though: https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ikely-as-eu-refuses-limited-use-of-glyphosate
Don't think it's just in the US. The active ingredient, glyphosate, is widely used as a dessicant in lots of crops prior to harvest. Rapeseed and field beans to name a couple.

numero09

Reaction score
When I read the title I thought it may be about the latest European Union dictate.

rayner

Reaction score
I take a fresh loaf every session as soon as Spring as sprung, bread I don't use goes in a sack in my cellar.
I generally use mashed bread for feed and flake on the hook. When fish are on the bread I use quite a lot in warmer months, fish love it and I love it.
If a fishery bans bread I would fish else where.

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
I've always assumed fisheries banned bread because it's a cheap way to catch a lot of fish rather than chucking in loads of pellets etc and saving them the time to actually feed the poor buggers.

rayner

Reaction score
I was told by the bailiff at KJS that floating bread is to be banned from next year.
He told me there's that much bread going in the rats are ignoring it, says he's had enough of picking up all the bread left from the evening before.
Being fair it does on occasion look like a bread van has crashed into pond two.
If it is banned the anglers have caused it, had they given a little thought to other fishermen there would be no problem.
There's been no mention of biscuits yet but they will go the same way, they bang them in as well.

Edit.
KJS has no fishery baits rule just crazy anglers.