Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I was invited to take part in the "Korum Challenge" fish-in on the royalty yesterday (as was speci from this site),it was part of a prize awarded for the big barbel i caught on a flooded ouse last year.Speci had the good tench from sywell earlier on in the year.

Although i only caught two spotty things in the morning on trotting gear,salmon parr i believe they were and a jack pike on lure tackle in the afternoon,i had a brilliant time.

The fishery staff gave me lots of advice and marked on my map the best places for trotting and lure fishing,they also supplied every one there with a cracking buffet lunch and the folks from korum/preston innovations and total coarse fishing magazine weremagnificent as well.

I have to admit i was a bit in awe of the place at first but once i got going and started roaming about,i was fine.

I can`t end this posting without mentioning the anglers rest room,with all the antique tackle and mounted fish,pictures on the wall and angling literature to read.....i could have sat in there all day and marvelled at all these wonderfull things.

I will be returning next year for sure......i have found my nirvana.

Royalty fish-in anyone????

Nick,

You will remember that day for the rest of your life.

OK you may not have caught much, but you enjoyed yourself, that is what makes angling so special.

Fish in, yes please

Speci, come on, how did you get on ?

Are you the new river record holder for the biggest barbel ever to come out of the Royalty ?

Blog Entries

Nick,

As far as I am concerned the Royalty is the 'Mecca' of coarse fishing. Granted it is not the fishery it was in the 70's but it is still the 'home' of fishing for me.

Any time you fancy a weekend down there just let me know, my home is about 50 minutes from the fishery.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Oh wheres my invite

Blog Entries

i had two small salmon parr/fry. I too enjoyed my day and intend to go again . A lad got it right trot in the slow part of the stretch . I agree with nick on the anglers restroom . The only part that wound me up was weed and the tide going out ,but thats something i have to learn how to fish .

Blog Entries

Ray,

Anytime you like.

I'm told my breakfasts are a right angler's dream, so just let me know, okay?

Speci,

Its a bleedin' chalk stream, what did you expect?

Alkaline rivers produce a plethora of weed, and the attendant fly and larvae life is what makes the Trout grow, and also makes them bl00dy wary of imitations.

[insert smiling thing . . . . . H E R E ]

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Nice one Peter.

Speci,

As they say, you learn something new every day. To get things right in fishing takes time, even then not everything goes to plan.

That's why we go back time after time, enjoyed it you did, and you still learnt something.

Nice one Nick, it's a special place for sure.

How did the Northerners do? I hope they had a great time too.

Wasn't Nigel talking about having a fish-in above the Royalty?

Blog Entries

Peter it wasn't the weed that got me but when the tide changed alot of weed came down from upstream so every cast my rod got hit bigtime , when the flow was good i had no problem with the weed . Peter whats a tout.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast