Your first rod

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
My very first rod was an 11ft Tank Aerial with no makers name at all, so probably home made and given to me by an uncle.

Only my brother in our family was remotely interested in fishing so I learned from him as a nipper . . . .

Later I inherited his 9ft solid glass spinning rod and his wooden tackle box as he moved on to more "adult" kit.

My first "proper" fishing rod however was a Mk IV Avon rod in slit cane, obviously, that I lusted after for about a year while working a Saturday job in the local greengrocers shop and saved every penny.

I used to see it all the time in the window of old "ma" Bennet's tackle shop when I'd go in to buy six pennyworth of gentles, and I well remember the heart skipping moment when I first saw the price tag of, £5 17/6d

Those same rods (refurbished) today sell at between £375 and £600 . . . . .

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
My own first rod was the middle and top section of my Grandfathers old Roach rod. It must have been at least twenty plus years old when I inherited it. I had to use those rubber bands from the screw top pop bottles to attach the old Nottingham star back reel, complete with silk line, that was in 1952.

Then I progressed to an Apollo Taperflash ,(a birthday gift). Shortly after I became the proud owner of a Richard Walker Mk IV Avon which when not being used stood by the side of my bed. Happy days.

seth49

Reaction score
First rod I bought was a Abu spinning rod, had previously been given a tank ariel rod, and a greenheart trout fly rod,

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Then I progressed to an Apollo Taperflash ,(a birthday gift).

I didn't buy a Taperflash until a fair bit later in my fishing career, but my fishing friend, Bob, had one and I really coveted it to be honest.

Sitting here in my study, and to the left hand side of my desk, is my 13' Apollo Taperflash sitting the corner . . . . .

barbelboi

Reaction score
Although, as stated earlier, my first rod was bamboo but it didn’t last very long as (I believe I’ve mentioned this in another thread a few years ago – probably originating from Rotherham) the first tench I hooked in 1952 placed a set in the tip section resembling Tattenham Corner. My father then trusted me with one of his B James late 40’s (pre DW days) bamboo float rods with a Spanish reed tip. My first MK1V Avon (onion) followed in 1957............

john10

Reaction score
a tank ariel painted army green it had a bamboo handle... but it was carbon not bad for the 60s, my reel was a intrepid deluxe

That sounds a posh tank ariel! I had one too, it was a cut down version in metal with coarse screw thread joints. Every time you screwed it together the rings lined up in a different place, due to temperature differences I presume.
It was very springy. I had to put it in a rod rest and wait for it to settle down!

I had an intrepid de luxe too.It cost £2.6.8d and my first "casting reel".

chrissh

Reaction score
That sounds a posh tank ariel! I had one too, it was a cut down version in metal with coarse screw thread joints. Every time you screwed it together the rings lined up in a different place, due to temperature differences I presume.
It was very springy. I had to put it in a rod rest and wait for it to settle down!

I had an intrepid de luxe too.It cost £2.6.8d and my first "casting reel".

The tank Ariel could have come from the same place my grandad was in the tank core in Redford which is now the prison

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Likewise, Phil, but I like the solitude anyway - always have. Those Alphas were great rods - so light compared to the competition - I eventually got a second-hand twelve foot Alpha match and loved it; after the heavy old ABU Mk 6 it was a revelation.

You put me in mind of a lad we fished with, who had all the gear from the beginning, looking like a young Ivan Marks with his kosher sun peak.:cool: The rods used by the rest of us were just sticks by comparison.:D

No, mate - not at all. I coveted that Alpha rod, I used to walk to the tackle shop just to look at it.

I'd have been about ten, so we're looking at 40 years ago, my Mum suddenly one day said it would be my birthday present. It was £17.95 and I was absolutely horrified, I think that was about a week's wages for some folks. I feel as guilty today as I did on that day. I hope it's consolation to my Mum that I still have it, I've caught a lot of fish on it and that it'll probably be buried / cremated with me.

I think I'd saved about £5, which went on to fund my Sealey Blue Match.

Today, I have to agree you're right. I DO spend too much on tackle, still I don't smoke or drink and the current, future ex Mrs H knows it's a vice I particularly enjoy. Can't take it with you, can you? Unless "it" is a mid 1970s Shakey Alpha Carp, of course......:)

---------- Post added at 17:24 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

My very first rod was an 11ft Tank Aerial with no makers name at all, so probably home made and given to me by an uncle.

Only my brother in our family was remotely interested in fishing so I learned from him as a nipper . . . .

Later I inherited his 9ft solid glass spinning rod and his wooden tackle box as he moved on to more "adult" kit.

My first "proper" fishing rod however was a Mk IV Avon rod in slit cane, obviously, that I lusted after for about a year while working a Saturday job in the local greengrocers shop and saved every penny.

I used to see it all the time in the window of old "ma" Bennet's tackle shop when I'd go in to buy six pennyworth of gentles, and I well remember the heart skipping moment when I first saw the price tag of, £5 17/6d

Those same rods (refurbished) today sell at between £375 and £600 . . . . .

Those Wehrmacht tanks were really something, weren't they?? :wh :eek:mg:

trotter2

Reaction score
First rod was a blue solid glass spinning rod the handle was turned from solid wood. No name on it LOL:D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was too young to remember what my first rod was called, I do remember it was a yeollow fiberglass rod of about 9ft long. As time went on I used it for all styles of fishing and even used it as a javelin when the fish weren't biting!

barbelboi

Reaction score
I was too young to remember what my first rod was called, I do remember it was a yeollow fiberglass rod of about 9ft long. As time went on I used it for all styles of fishing and even used it as a javelin when the fish weren't biting!

Never tried spear fishing myself...................

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Never tried spear fishing myself...................

Lol, I think we had comp's to see who could waz their rod the furthest....with reel still attatched of course!
If me dad had seen me doing it he would have probably snapped it round me neck, and rightly so :eek::).