Your first rod

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Mine was a 10ft cane rod of no name make , stiff as a broom hand me down
Looking back it was probably not a great rod to start out with but it survived a young boy bashing it about

What was yours

robtherake

Reaction score
A 2-piece plus handle brown hollow glass Avon rod of indeterminate name. It had lost an inch or two from the butt section, which was wound with my dad's electricians tape so it still just about fitted in the handle without wobbling. It was also missing a couple of rings, which hardly mattered since the lake I fished for the first year or more only held perch (which averaged about 6oz) and a very few tench. The reel was an Intrepid New Deluxe with the garish red torpedo handle and anti-reverse lever. Bought from my schoolfriend, Mark, for a whole English pound.:)

And what line! It was ancient, thick and sprang off in tight coils, like a slinky - all ten yards of it! It wasn't until I changed it for some 6lb Sylcast that I got my first bite, the inch-wide perch bob eventually pulling under, the over-enthusiastic strike dragging the alarmed perch out of its element, right over my head and onto the grassy bank behind.:eek: The smell of it, the look and feel of the scaly thing -all a-bristle - and the sheer life animating the beautiful creature...and that was the moment that began it all. In't fishing brilliant! :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
A 10' Edgar Sealey Black Arrow 2. A horrible mustard colour fibreglass blank that performed nearly as badly as it looked. However, at ten years old, I knew no better, couldn't afford better and it did me proud. I still have it but it hasn't seen water in a couple of decades.

chrissh

Reaction score
a tank ariel painted army green it had a bamboo handle... but it was carbon not bad for the 60s, my reel was a intrepid deluxe

robtherake

Reaction score
A 10' Edgar Sealey Black Arrow 2. A horrible mustard colour fibreglass blank that performed nearly as badly as it looked. However, at ten years old, I knew no better, couldn't afford better and it did me proud. I still have it but it hasn't seen water in a couple of decades.

I've got one in the loft - part of a 4-rod collection of hollow glass rods that I picked up for a few quid at the bootie. It won't get used (and is, indeed, very horrible) but it's part of the paraphernalia and I enjoy looking at them now and again, if only to remind myself how good we have it now.:)

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Mine (after a three-foot wire -and-plastic toy) was an eight-foot, three-piece lump of lumber which I hoped (once I'd read everything in the 799.11 section of the local library) was greenheart.
It was like a spar from a galleon, with an "action" marginally more supple than a snooker cue - though this meant that every tail-beat of a gudgeon or tiny roach could be felt - much more exciting than the damped shock-absorption of glass rods.
It eventually snapped at one of the ferrules, due to hideous abuse such as trying to cast (snarl) and was, under the varnish, purest white Ash, stained to look like greenheart. Villainy! And people wonder why I'm cynical...

barbelboi

Reaction score
As it's been used for rods for some 4000 years I think I can safely say bamboo..............

john step

Reaction score
A toy rod made from 3 feet of dowel with a little cotton reel looking reel.
I caught nothing on it ...obviously.

First proper rod was a hand me down greenheart salmon rod and bakelite reel.
Heavy for 10 year old but I did manage my first 4 little roach with it from the canal behind the gas works in Chelmsford.

The line attached to a grayling bob...Oh the line!! It was something like fraying braid if I remember correctly. Does anyone remember that stuff before mono?

But that first tingling feeling ( talking fishing here not the other first tingling feeling :D:D)

Angler for life.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
A Shakespeare Alpha Carp quickly followed by a Sealey Blue float, reel was an Intrepid then after scrimping and saving, a second hand 440 Match.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Well, I didn't know it was a carp rod, didn't know carp were great big lummox things, didn't know I needed a float rod and NOT a carp rod.

Oh well, soon learned......:)

I had to teach myself to fish, nobody else, friend or family, did so there was the odd pratfall here and there....

robtherake

Reaction score
Well, I didn't know it was a carp rod, didn't know carp were great big lummox things, didn't know I needed a float rod and NOT a carp rod.

Oh well, soon learned......:)

I had to teach myself to fish, nobody else, friend or family, did so there was the odd pratfall here and there....

Likewise, Phil, but I like the solitude anyway - always have. Those Alphas were great rods - so light compared to the competition - I eventually got a second-hand twelve foot Alpha match and loved it; after the heavy old ABU Mk 6 it was a revelation.

You put me in mind of a lad we fished with, who had all the gear from the beginning, looking like a young Ivan Marks with his kosher sun peak.:cool: The rods used by the rest of us were just sticks by comparison.:D

mightyboosh

Reaction score
Winfield/Woolworths solid glass rod in a blister pack that Santa brought. Santa had no idea what he started!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
A 10 and a half foot " bottom rod". 3 piece, whole cane butt and middle with a toffee coloured fibreglass tip. Red whippings on black painted cane. Cost Santa about £2/10s and 6d and was the best Christmas present ever. Came with an Intrepid Monarch 66 reel.

stevejay

Reaction score
Winfield/Woolworths solid glass rod in a blister pack that Santa brought. Santa had no idea what he started!

Snap, a 6 foot white one for me with red whipping and handle. Was 1970ish.
Won a new reel, an intrepid new de luxe after weighing in a 1 lb 4 oz pike in a local club comp for best fish over a month.

Then graduated to a proper 11' fibre glass float rod and then on to a lovely edgar sealey triple taper tip.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I believe it was greenheart at the age of seven, but I know my father had several others which included one of tubular steel. The greenheart was so whippy that when you gave it a waggle it felt as though the tip would come back and smack you in the face !

I think striking at a bite meant the reverberations down the rod almost helped hook pulls - that's my excuse for not catching too much, anyway...

I eventually went on to own a 14' Tonkin rod with a dual split cane tip section, in that the split cane section markedly went from one thickness to another, but it caught many fish on club outings and when hemp fishing on the Regents Park canal. I don't think I could lift it now !!
It languishes in the loft for some reason...........................Maybe to help recall ' the good old days 'which they were definitely not !!!

steve2

Reaction score
A tank Ariel, followed by 6ft solid fibreglass and then upmarket to three pieces with a fibreglass top section. All makes unknown unless someone knows who made tank ariels.
First reel was a cheap black plastic thing about 2 inches in diameter. First fixed spool was something called a Pinto. Line was always 6lb PDQ. First fish a roach from Raphaels Park, Romford.
I can remember all those first but have trouble remembering what I did yesterday.

Last edited:

caferacer

Reaction score
First rod was a solid glass 5ft thing with fly reel.That Christmas it was replaced by a Berkley Buccaneer hollow glass spinning rod and Olympic ES2 reel,quite a nice little combo.It was the first time Santa didnt bring me a toy and I wasnt sure if I had made the right decision.Needn't have worried,ate Christmas dinner with it on the table and had it beside me in bed that night.Couldnt stop staring at it.Job done......

mikench

Reaction score
A three piece 10 ft bamboo rod made by Tonbridge Wells Rods in 1963! I still have it well two parts to be exact the butt and the fibreglass tip. I bought an Intrepid Black Prince reel which fell in the cut one day and which curtailed my fishing for quite some time!