Nasty surprise

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would agree with the post above . . . . life is far to short to waste any of it cleaning up that sort of mess.

Maybe it is my version of OCD but I always clean and tidy my kit, including washing and drying all bait boxes after every trip. It is the first job I do when I get home . . . .

steve2

Reaction score
I had a nasty surprise when I left some ground bait on the handle of my Daiwa TDR reel. The mice chewed off the plastic grips off the handle. Daiwa wanted £50 for a new handle.

seth49

Reaction score
Yes I always clean out bait boxes when I get home, since finding something similar in one of mine.
Usually fill them with water and leave to soak while the morning after, then wash and dry before putting them away while next time.

Think some prawns in one that had been their for a couple of weeks in summer, were the worst.

mightyboosh

Reaction score
Maybe it is my version of OCD but I always clean and tidy my kit, including washing and drying all bait boxes after every trip. It is the first job I do when I get home . . . .

Not just me then! It's a good habit to get in to. DON"T sit down, don't have a cup of tea or a beer, just get on with the nasty jobs, then rest easy afterwards :)

greenie62

Reaction score
Bin the lot, box included. Life is too short!

Whilst instinctively I agree with the approach - we are then left with the dilemna of how one disposes of the remains: i.e.
- 'food waste' - should include the manky bait - and should go in the 'green' bin
- plastic bait boxes - should go in the recycled plastics bin - IF they're recyclable (?)
Unrecyclable rubbish goes in the 'landfill' bin! Do we really want to think what's going to arise from a landfill site after a few years!?

How many of us check the recycling status of bait boxes or other items of plastic tackle? - Is it even stated on the products - or the packaging?

Whilst you ponder these questions - that manky bait is decomposing a bit more - just waiting for you to open the lid!:eek::eek:mg:

mikench

Reaction score
I do likewise. I will just double check tonight that my reels are spotless but I think they are:). I am a clean and tidy person/fisherman ( OCD) and pick up dropped bait, bg, maggots and pellets as I go along!

I do try and avoid firing out bait on the catapult or the ezfeeda whilst a cup of coffee awaits. I have dropped the odd maggot in there in the past. It did not go to waste but a caffeine impregnated maggot made no difference to the fishing sadly!;)

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
A mate of mine was notorious for failing to empty his bait boxes and didn't have a bait fridge so usually ended up with the stinking rotting remains of maggots. He would chuck out the boxes and buy more but I just rescued them and cleaned them out with boiling water from a kettle, leave them out a couple of days and good as new.

rayner

Reaction score
I missed a lot of fishing last winter but in general one small tin of corn lasts all winter, with one tin of meat and a few discs of bread.
The corn I use always fishes better after it's a few weeks old, it's about that time it goes sticky and whiffs a bit.
I never touch it just stab it with my baiting needle to get it on my hair.
I catch more fish in the cold with sour bait. I don't do it with meat but the same tin of corn is kept in my fridge from December to the end of February.
I never feed anything, just two pieces on the hair.

ken more

Reaction score
If it was still in the unopened tin I would have kept it:confused::):w

Keith M

Reaction score
If I have some maggots or caster left after a trip and I'm not going again for 6 or 7 days I just leave my open maggot boxes on the bird table or in the open greenhouse for my tame robin to snaffle. Any sweet corn also goes on the bird table for the magpies and woodpidgeons etc.

Any boilees, open luncheonmeat and bread/cheese pastes go in the bait freezer and any pellets and fishmeal pastes go in the bait fridge; any red-worms left over go back into my wormery (as long as there are no damaged ones).

Anything else just goes in the bin.

I don't often take more than 2 or 3 different baits in a session so it only takes me a few minutes (Just enough time for the Mrs to put the kettle on and make me a brew Lol).

Keith

Last edited:

benny samways

Reaction score
Matchpack of lobworms, bought and forgot about in April. Found in July.

I had to open it, I couldnt figure out what this brown-milk-shake-liquid was doing in an old worm pack.

B'jesus. Ive almost fainted now just remembering it.

rayner

Reaction score
Matchpack of lobworms, bought and forgot about in April. Found in July.

I had to open it, I couldnt figure out what this brown-milk-shake-liquid was doing in an old worm pack.

B'jesus. Ive almost fainted now just remembering it.

Best additive there is.
I use the wifes old hair colour bottles to store it in, the ones with a thin nozzle.
A drop on hook baits or a squirt in pole cups works better than shop bought liquid worm.
The smell isn't an issue once you get it in a squirty bottle. Getting it into the bottle isn't an issue either with a bit of planning.

mikench

Reaction score
I must be a wimp! If I cannot stand the smell either in the air, in or on the bait or on my fingers, I won't use it no matter how popular it might be to the fish!

Some of the proprietary brands smell lingers for days on my fingers! I have a reputation to uphold:wh