Made up rod storage

lewisc

Reaction score
Evening all.
Perhaps a bit of a newbie question, but how would you say best to store made up two piece rods in a hard rod case? Tip to butt or other way round?
Any feedback welcome.

chrissh

Reaction score
For me I always go tip to butt and uses rod bands to secure the two half’s … plus this way there’s less line to tangle

flightliner

Reaction score
Tip to butt for me with laccy bands on a two piece rod, on a three piece its a folded letter z with laccy bands.

Keith M

Reaction score
Tip to butt for me too, then tied together using my rod sleeve internal ribbons or using rubber bands.

Not had a problem doing this so far (famous last words Lol.)

Keith

mightyboosh

Reaction score
I've never done it tip-to-butt, oo-er! Thinking about it though, it makes more sense. Everyday is a learning day, even after 36 years of fishing!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looks like i'm the odd one out, I have the bottom of the sections along side of the handle wether it's a two or three peoce rod. I've never had any prob's with tangles either.

Philip

Reaction score
I was literally about to start post a new thread on this very subject and then saw this.

I can see the logic in tip to butt as it minimizes the amount of line off the reel..However my problem with tip to butt is that the tip ring is now next to the ground if you lean your rods against something and I worry I might damage my tip ring & line.

For that reason, like Tigger I carry mine the other way round so "ferrule" to butt with the top section set slightly higher than the butt section so if I prop the rods against something the only thing touching the ground is the butt cap of the rod.

I should point out I dont use a quiver or holdall anymore and have gone a full circle back to just carrying my broken down rods lashed together with elastic bands so there is no protective cover as such round them

...I wont be winning any tackle tart prizes thats for sure!

sagalout

Reaction score
However my problem with tip to butt is that the tip ring is now next to the ground if you lean your rods against something and I worry I might damage my tip ring & line.

I carry mine the other way round so "ferrule" to butt with the top section set slightly higher than the butt section so if I prop the rods against something the only thing touching the ground is the butt cap of the rod.
Why cant you tip to butt with the top section set slightly higher than the butt section so if you prop the rods against something the only thing touching the ground is the butt cap of the rod?

mightyboosh

Reaction score
However my problem with tip to butt is that the tip ring is now next to the ground if you lean your rods against something and I worry I might damage my tip ring & line.

I knew there was a reason I've been doing it like that for the past few decades, just couldn't remember it!

Why cant you tip to butt with the top section set slightly higher than the butt section so if you prop the rods against something the only thing touching the ground is the butt cap of the rod?

Have I mentioned my OCD? :)

peterjg

Reaction score
Tip to butt, don't bother with rod bands use instead bits of half inch knicker elastic about 8 inches long. I've broken several quiver tips leaving rods made up - now I disconnect to qiver tip before tying with the knocker elastic. Also remove feeders or leads before breaking down, feeders are clipped on.

trotter2

Reaction score
Turn the rod tip to butt. And If you put an elastic band at the butt end and one at the tip end you will find it difficult to break the tip off.
Think about it would need to snap the other thicker section to break the tip.
The answer is to not leave the tip section flapping about so it can catch on anything. I have been endorsing this idea for some time now it looks like a few are starting to get it. LOL.:thumbs:

You can also put a band somewhere like a foot down from the tip and it would be even more secure .

chrissh

Reaction score
I was literally about to start post a new thread on this very subject and then saw this.

I can see the logic in tip to butt as it minimizes the amount of line off the reel..However my problem with tip to butt is that the tip ring is now next to the ground if you lean your rods against something and I worry I might damage my tip ring & line.

For that reason, like Tigger I carry mine the other way round so "ferrule" to butt with the top section set slightly higher than the butt section so if I prop the rods against something the only thing touching the ground is the butt cap of the rod.

I should point out I dont use a quiver or holdall anymore and have gone a full circle back to just carrying my broken down rods lashed together with elastic bands so there is no protective cover as such round them

You can always use tip and butt protectors as well as bands

s-l1600.jpg

View image in gallery

lewisc

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies folks. ive got them tip to butt using the bands supplied in the case, so hopefully should be fine. Did wonder about the quiver tip, but time will tell!

Philip

Reaction score

Because tip to butt, the tip ring is still the closet part of the top section to the ground. So even if you have the top section set higher as you mention the tip ring and especially the line where it exits the tip are still the first things that would come into contact with the ground should it touch. More importantly the absolutle lowest point and first thing to rub would be the line where it exists the tip ring.

Ferreule to Butt the lowest exit for the line on the top section would be the biggest (lowest) rod ring on that section which on most rods is still set a fair way up the blank. So the line is always held away from the ground. More importantly, even if the top section does rub the ground the first thing to rub would be the ferruele on the top section, not the line.

As you can probably see, I have gone back & forth on this on this matter down the years and am quite OCD about it now ! :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I should point out I don't use a quiver or holdall anymore and have gone a full circle back to just carrying my broken down rods lashed together with elastic bands so there is no protective cover as such round them

You've been spying on me Philip, that's exactly how I carry my rods, except i've started using rod bands instead of lacky bands....I wrap the bands round the sections in a fashion so as to keep them from touching one another ;).

Philip

Reaction score
You've been spying on me Philip, that's exactly how I carry my rods, except i've started using rod bands instead of lacky bands....I wrap the bands round the sections in a fashion so as to keep them from touching one another ;).

I have tried to do that as well..sort of get the rod bands to act as buffers between the rods but never quite got it right ...sounds like you have one up on me there :) ...Actually I said I used rubber bands but I actually now use these things..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Jap...32328034773.html?spm=2114.40010608.4.1.sWgW5P

They are that good as rod bands that I recon it must have been an angler that came up with the idea ! Just one of those at the butt end will hold a 2 or 3 peice rod together without the need for a second at the top and it can be streached round 4 rods if you have the need. Super grippy..never had one undo or loosen even on a long hike yet they open up easily too.

They are brilliant and best bit of all ... I think I paid about 1 quid for a dozen in a supermarket. ;)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeaph, that's exactly it, they buffer the rods so they don't get scratched or rubbed.

They look interesting Philip, if I hadn't already got several sets of neoprene bands i'd most likely got a couple of them.