JW Youngs Atom Centrepin

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
The Atom has caught my eye; mainly because it's a plain bearing, wide spooled reel. I've not handled one yet, wondered if anyone else has, if so, could you share your thoughts.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that one so I looked it up and see it's a recent addition. I've a couple of Youngs pins that have been well used for years and are a pleasure to use - also the after sales service has been top class. The only question I would ask of the Atom 'is it so much better to similar models to warrant the additional cost '

mikench

Reaction score
Would I like a centre pin, and if so, would I use it in circumstances other than trotting on a river?

I hope the answer is no and it would be wasted on me!;)

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I had one of these in my hands last week, whilst looking for a new pin. Very nice Pin, I understand there is a limited number made, just 150, not sure how correct that is.

Look on ebay, they were on there for £355, plus postage.

robtherake

Reaction score
Would I like a centre pin, and if so, would I use it in circumstances other than trotting on a river?

I hope the answer is no and it would be wasted on me!;)

They're great for margin fishing and if you can master the Wallis cast (I haven't....yet!) you can fish at much longer range. You don't need to pay a fortune for a perfectly good reel, either.:D:D:D:D

TFG Classic Centre Pin Reel | eBay

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had one and sent it back...no thank's!

xenon

Reaction score
not fished with one, but had a play with one at the Walton Tackle exchange. Seemed like a very good pin (as you would expect from this manufacturer) but not that much better than my BJ lightweight so I dont think the etra price tag is justified-if you have that kind of money going spare I would bite the bullet and splash out on a Chris Lythe (not handled them either so dont actually know how good they are, except by repute)