Violence and threatening behaviour on the bank

robtherake

Reaction score
Talking to another FM regular, I related an incident which happened many moons ago that still makes my blood run cold.

I fished a little water (free fishing, at the time) that had a deserved reputation for good tench and was really starting to get a grip on the place.

Sitting there alone on an evening session, I was approached by a few lads - late teens - who didn't waste any time in telling me they were having my gear. The place was unkempt, so I had a machete with me for clearing the swim, which - more out of desperation than anything else - I whipped out and faced them down with. I nearly had a nervous collapse when they shoved off for reinforcements and chucked the made-up chair, rods and everything else in the car after taking bloody ages to get the key in. They came back with others, running at full pelt as I reversed madly away - executing what I now understand to be a J-turn - and very nearly caught up, grabbing at the doors. I had to stop somewhere for a good shake when I'd put some distance between us and have never been back to the place since.

How about you guys - what scrapes have you ended up in?

thecrow

Reaction score
Flippin eck Rob that must have been terrifying, I have had a few disagreements on the bank while I was a bailiff but never anything like that.

Chefster

Reaction score
Talking to another FM regular, I related an incident which happened many moons ago that still makes my blood run cold.

I fished a little water (free fishing, at the time) that had a deserved reputation for good tench and was really starting to get a grip on the place.

Sitting there alone on an evening session, I was approached by a few lads - late teens - who didn't waste any time in telling me they were having my gear. The place was unkempt, so I had a machete with me for clearing the swim, which - more out of desperation than anything else - I whipped out and faced them down with. I nearly had a nervous collapse when they shoved off for reinforcements and chucked the made-up chair, rods and everything else in the car after taking bloody ages to get the key in. They came back with others, running at full pelt as I reversed madly away - executing what I now understand to be a J-turn - and very nearly caught up, grabbing at the doors. I had to stop somewhere for a good shake when I'd put some distance between us and have never been back to the place since.

How about you guys - what scrapes have you ended up in?
That sounds like a terrible experience,luckily never had any bad experiences myself..Gazza

robtherake

Reaction score
That sounds like a terrible experience,luckily never had any bad experiences myself..Gazza

There are some proper horror stories on the news, Gaz, I just found myself wondering whether anyone on the forum - or their acquaintances, had been in a spot of bother.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
In all of my years fishing I have only ever had two bad encounters.

The first was on the Hampshire Avon, on a secluded stretch on the CAC club's book.

A couple of mid to late teenage lads came along and after a polite good morning one of them said that he fancied my rod holdall and was going to take it.

I got up and holding a thick-ish back stick said that he could of course try, but would end up having to have the bank stick surgically removed from his jack seat.
He had a smart second thought and after a few expletives the pair of the walked away.

The only other time was when a chap in his 30's approached me as I was packing my kit into the carp and demanded money (for food or so he said)

I told him that I didn't carry cash and he started to get a bit uppity, and only the threat that if he didn't off-I$$ then one or both of us were going to end up in the A&E . . . . . he left

I did have one funny encounter though. It was at a match at Hamar in Norway.

The venue was a very nice "lake" off of the river where you have to have at least 50k of Bream and Vederbuk usually to even frame

Now, this lake is rather close to a home for mentally retarded youths and on a Sunday afternoon the less dangerous residents are allowed out for a walk.

About half way through the match there was an almighty splash with a loud exclamation of "laks" (salmon in Norwegian) and this was repeated 3 or 4 times before we realised that the "laks" were in fact ruddy great slabs of stone being chucked in by the promenading youngster.

He was asked to leave and did get rather agitated but one of the locals called the home and they sent a couple of "heavies" to collect him.

At the time I fished for an English lads club (The Crafty Catchers) and the "laks" bricks often became a bit of a laugh when we were practising and things were getting a bit difficult, or we were getting bored . . . .

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Crikey Rob.....that's terrifying. Not sure I'd ever get over that !

Fortunately I've never encountered anything so direct. I've been in a couple of situations that I thought might end badly but nothing remotely as scary as that. Mind you....it does help having Big Phil as backup. I'm not sure anybody would be so foolish as to take him on. He's older now but no less formidable looking and utterly fearless.

mikench

Reaction score
Dear me Rob that would have put me off fishing! My wife , sensibly asks me where I am going, not in fear of me encountering thugs but in case I have an accident or a heart attack! I also always have my phone. We are often in remote spots where bluntly you might never be found save by fellow anglers.

It is moments like that when, one can imagine if you happened to have a machine gun or 44 magnum, what you would you like to do with it!:)

I might just put my baseball bat in my chair bag :rolleyes:

Glad you have fully recovered Rob from such an unpleasant experience!

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Jeez Rob that's put me off fishing some spots round here as that is the worst case scenario that we all fear. You think having a decent tool in your gear would put them off for good but to have them return is not good news.

I bet you've never been back to that water either?

rayner

Reaction score
I've never encounted such a thing as that, I certainly wouldn't be able to defend myself if it happened.
I'm afraid if anyone ever fancied my kit then they would take it unchallenged.

iain t

Reaction score
I must have been lucky to never had anything happen to whilst fishing. I alway fish alone, sometimes far away from anyone else. Being ex-Army i can look after myself to a certain degree but a think a couple that really wanted my kit may be a bit of a challenge for me. If i do think am in trouble and they do nick my kit i just claim on my insurance. Better to be in one piece than in a box. No way is my fishing kit worth my life. I only take 5 or 10 pounds out with me whilst fishing and never flash my phone about.

robtherake

Reaction score
I might just add that the incident happened when I was in my twenties, so my actions were those of a young Turk, rather than the more measured approach of an older mind.

Still, confrontation is something that causes me great difficulty and my reaction to extreme stress involves a sh!tload of adrenaline and can be seriously disproportionate to the triggering event. If it happened again it's possible that I'd be fated to react in exactly the same way, for good or bad.

terry m

Reaction score
Iand my reaction to extreme stress involves a sh!tload of adrenaline and can be seriously disproportionate to the triggering event. If it happened again it's possible that I'd be fated to react in exactly the same way, for good or bad.

This is a good point, when adrenaline kicks in, the fight or flight options present themselves. Who knows what you will do unless it actually happens.

Nonetheless the event that Rob describes would seriously concern me.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Confrontation really doesn't bother me, it's the porridge the law would / have dished out to me after the altercation that p!$$es me off!

mikench

Reaction score
I read with interest your earlier article which I much enjoyed. Clearly though the events which prompted the prose was anything but enjoyable. Your article was very well written and made good reading. Needless to say the little scotes would have thoroughly deserved whatever fate had befallen them but plod would not have agreed and the little darlings would have merely received sympathy for whatever punishment you had meted out. Sadly they know it!

Another example of the hapless minority........! 40 years ago it would have been a different story!

Fishing alone can be potentially dangerous!

robtherake

Reaction score
Jeez Rob that's put me off fishing some spots round here as that is the worst case scenario that we all fear. You think having a decent tool in your gear would put them off for good but to have them return is not good news.

I bet you've never been back to that water either?

Not even for a look round. It's in a pretty grotty and deprived urban area, which, I suspect, is why none of the local clubs ever took it on. I've just checked it out on satellite image and it still gives me the creeps.

peterjg

Reaction score
I have been in a few good fights on the bank, mainly with carp and barbel, I have also been bothered by bream but they gave up straight away .....

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Unfortunately I am a trouble magnet. My until recently employment as a night cab driver in a rather bad area of London hasn't helped. In six years of doing this I had two attempted robberies and eight assaults or attempted assaults. I have never had a serious problem when fishing. I don't fish urban areas as I try to get away from them when I fish.

On another site I belong to a young guy who used to post here too recounted his experiences of a trip to the Bristol Avon. He was approached out of the blue by two individuals who picked on him and one started to jump up and down on his gear. He tried to passively oppose them and after a lengthy stand off they left, leaving him really none the wiser as to why they had started on him. Just out for trouble I would guess. He probably did the right thing for him but I know that wouldn't have been my response.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk