Decent charity shop find.

ravey

Reaction score
Yes, Pete, that 130lb rings a bell. Hope you are well. I think I might have read about the result somewhere - it might have been the adverts that Mal Put in Coarse Angler (and/or other publications) that used this information to sell his rods (why not!?). From memory, Mal also had the 'Tri-Tip' leger rod advertised on the same page/advert.

Although I have been fishing on and off for many years since the late 1970s, I didn't fish the Trent seriously until the beginning of the 1989/1990 season (great timing, eh?), and scrounged a load of older magazines (Coarse Angler and others) from a work colleague. By the time I was fishing in earnest, the Mal Storey rods had been superseded by (in my view) better tools for the job, especially for fishing the feeder at longe range.

bracket

Reaction score
Yes, Pete, that 130lb rings a bell. Hope you are well. I think I might have read about the result somewhere - it might have been the adverts that Mal Put in Coarse Angler (and/or other publications) that used this information to sell his rods (why not!?). From memory, Mal also had the 'Tri-Tip' leger rod advertised on the same page/advert.

Although I have been fishing on and off for many years since the late 1970s, I didn't fish the Trent seriously until the beginning of the 1989/1990 season (great timing, eh?), and scrounged a load of older magazines (Coarse Angler and others) from a work colleague. By the time I was fishing in earnest, the Mal Storey rods had been superseded by (in my view) better tools for the job, especially for fishing the feeder at longe range.

Take your point ravey. It was the best tool around during my Trent match fishing days, for feeder fishing, but gear improves with the passing of time and rightly so. My Mel Storey rod won me more coin than I cared to tell my Lady about, it certainly owes me nowt and is now the source of some satisfying memories. Thanks for your enquiry by the way, I am sound. Pete

flightliner

Reaction score
I bought one secondhand a couple of years back just out of curiosity, and the fact that it was something of a cult rod back in the (mid?) eighties. I think it was used to break the Trent match record a couple of times with big catches of chub, although I can't remember when or who (was it someone with the surname 'Carroll'?).

You are right there ravey. The angler in question was Pat O'Carrol, generally known as "Rat Man", him being a Pest Controller by trade. He took a big weight of chub, in a Notts Anglers Open match at Shelford, from a peg just below Stoke weir. I think it was 130lb or there abouts. . At the time we all said it was a freak result, never to be repeated. The following weekend he fished in a Notts Anglers club match on the same stretch and drew the peg next to the one he'd drawn the previous week. The result was almost the same, 130lbs-ish. I can't remember which on of the results set the record but it was reported in AT. The bait was caster and hemp and a Mel Storey feeder rod, of course. He was an occassional guest member of Nottingham ROF AC and I have fished against him a number of times in ROF club matches, also drew next peg to him in a Nottingham Federation Fur and Feather match. Nice Guy. Pete.
Pete,Ravey, were those two big chub weights preceded by a guy fishing below the back weir at picks farm at the start of the same season, casting to the island and taking his fish from below a low hanging bush?.
It made (I think) front page on the ATs . He did the same the following season, I think he came from Newark.
Tremendous catch, I saw a few similar weights taken from below the weir on the opposite side of the island by guys fishing from a pontoon but they were all day pleasure sessions with no other anglers to disrupt things.
Rob, apologise for going off thread, back soon.

robtherake

Reaction score
Pete,Ravey, were those two big chub weights preceded by a guy fishing below the back weir at picks farm at the start of the same season, casting to the island and taking his fish from below a low hanging bush?.
It made (I think) front page on the ATs . He did the same the following season, I think he came from Newark.
Tremendous catch, I saw a few similar weights taken from below the weir on the opposite side of the island by guys fishing from a pontoon but they were all day pleasure sessions with no other anglers to disrupt things.
Rob, apologise for going off thread, back soon.

Don't apologise, Mick - it's taken off in an interesting direction.:)

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Well Done Rob.

Always worth a look in the charity shops rather than waiting outside as the mrs adds to the 200 dresses and shoes in what were my cupboards and wardrobes.

Coltswolds last stayover. 2 hardy rods a salmon 13ft a 10ft cane fly and a tin of old salmon flies. Just brought out from the back of the store.
" How much " I asked.
Give us a £10 he replied.

I offered £20. Out of guilt.

Sold on ebay for £190. I still feel guilty.

sis the roach

Reaction score
still a good rod first time i saw one was in a match on clifton grove notts my mate was using it peter warren

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
A few years back, whilst waiting for London Transport's Clapham Omnibus, I ducked into a charity shop and leafed through a couple of books, one of which was a William Somerset Maugham novel.

With five minutes to go before closing, the staff were exceedingly rude and impatient.

I purchased said book and found, to my astonishment later at home, it was signed by the author.

I took it with me the next day and arriving the same time, the same staff were rude so I walked out and, at the weekend, went to a rare book dealer who valued my signed 1st edition (complete with dust jacket) at £450.

Nice holiday in New England that year......:)

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:32 ----------

I'll give ya four quid for it! ;)

Arguing over a penny, could only happen in Yorkshire!! Mousetraps in their pockets as per usual......:D

B

binka

I nodded off for an hour this afternoon and all this talk of painted tips must have manifested itself into the nightmare that I had.

Some git had painted the tips on me Ultralite Avons a mucky red colour :eek: :eek: :eek:

I awoke in a right lather I can tell you, I even went and checked 'em just to make sure :)

mikench

Reaction score
Will try my local charity shops when I get home! You never know there may be some Hardy Marksman Supero rods for sale at £3.99!!:)

Interested Binka! ( pigs might fly):rolleyes: