Making the most of your time.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Given that fishing time is precious, how do you prepare. Do you have a predetermined venue in mind, will that be based on time of year and weather conditions, and will that influence bait and tackle choice.

Just a few random thoughts, they are however crucial considerations in order to maximise the chance of success. It goes without saying there are other factors at work here, previous visits to any water or tips from other anglers.

I was about to say reports from the angling comic's, but I will forget that, as I suspect many others would.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
It all depends on the time i have.

If i know i am going for a day or more, then i get everything ready well before hand.

There are the times when i just pick up some gear and go, just for a short session. These times can be just as good, with little preparation.

As we all know to well, it doesn't always work out as we would want.

Ask Skippy, he is having one hell of a year with Eel's :eek:mg::D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I know my local venues very well so I tend to go on the weather conditions and the water levels to guide me as to which species to target and what methods I will employ.

I tend to spend a lot of time over my preparations as I truly believe in the old adage, if you fail to plan then you should plan to fail . . . . . .

All kit is checked (including chair, nets, brolly, rods and reels and lines) and then baits are prepared and bagged or put into bait boxes.

I tend duplicate many small items so I never have to worry about them a I just pick up my float bag and my feeder bags knowing that I have all the little bits and pieces without having to check.

Ground baits (if to be used) are pre-riddled and put into Ziploc bags.
Hook lengths are checked and new ones made depending on what I am getting low on, or what I think I might need for the day.

I always make sure that I fill the car at least a couple of days ahead of the planned trio as petrol fumes can contaminate baits, especially bread baits.

Then I turn my attention to the food requirements for the day (as well as medications as I use insulin) so I have to eat regularly through the day and make sure I have plenty of liquids as well. Even though my cell 'phone may be fully charged I still plug it into the car for the journey to the venue . . . .

As I said, I know my local venues very well so need no other "advice" from anywhere.

When I am to fish a new venue (fish-in or a match) then I will prepare the same way but spend good time online to heck the latest reports ad also to set SatNav etc.

As my fishing time is pretty limited then I have to make sure that I give myself the best possible chances and that means meticulous preparation and planning.

Last edited:

robertroach

Reaction score
Blimey Peter, I admire your dedication to detail and planning.

Could you please be a government advisor to prepare us for Brexit. We can't fail with you doing it.

I just throw everything in the car on the basis that I have probably got what I need if I take everything. That strategy (if you can call it that) didn't work yesterday. It was hot and sunny so I left my umbrella in the car. 2 hours later a thunderstorm hit me and I was a drowned rat also battered by hailstones maybe not as big as golf balls but certainly bigger than peas.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I just throw everything in the car on the basis that I have probably got what I need if I take everything. That strategy (if you can call it that) didn't work yesterday. It was hot and sunny so I left my umbrella in the car. 2 hours later a thunderstorm hit me and I was a drowned rat also battered by hailstones maybe not as big as golf balls but certainly bigger than peas.

Was that thunderstorm after I saw you? Encountered a few spots of rain on the way home but that was all.

I mix and match on the day; I tie a dozen hooks most weeks, check floats as and when and sort out bait when needed but nothing like the preparation of my match fishing days. Still able to grab some gear if needed with no preparation and fish for a couple of hours. More tuition for Swizzle today so more prep needed but hardly major.

steve2

Reaction score
For various reasons, sons wedding planning, house buying, health and the lake being taken over with open water swimmers etc. I haven't had a full days fishing this season. I have a lure fishing outfit packed and ready to go when I can grab a few hours out. Hopefully with the winter coming I will get in some full days pike fishing, the swimmers and paddleboat should be gone by then.

rayner

Reaction score
I find it close to impossible to change tactics when on the bank.
I decide what my next visits method will be as I pack my gear away whenever I fish.
All my fishing is covered by my preparation at home before I get to the venue.
Some times I get it right, mostly I get it totally wrong.
I can live with my errors in judgement regarding methods, far more than I could by not fishing.
I'm definitely molly coddled by my wife and fishing is the only thing I can do alone. It's the only thing I am allowed to do by my wife, prolonged discussions (arguments) forced her to agree.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Not in entirely the same way, but I'm with Peter Jacobs, pretty much....Not quite 'military operation' level but pretty damn close!
My wife is always impressed with my general preplanning, and even more so with how I organise my large draw in the freezer...

I just HATE forgetting anything and I certainly don't do sloppy !

ps Not to say I don't do spur of the moment trips, but as the gear is already sorted after the last outing I'm confident around having everything I need....well, most of the time !!!

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I am making the most of my time at the moment but sadly it has nothing to do with fishing.... yet! Will try a little lure fishing tomorrow at the coast.

A bientôt !:)

steve2

Reaction score
I did rush off for a few hours fishing a couple of weeks ago. I went in such a rush I left my bag of lures at home along with fishery keys. A pleasant 70mile round trip at least it got me out of the house.

Note to self, double check before leaving home. It's alright packing it just remember to take it.

Philip

Reaction score
Most of my sessions nowadays are very short ..1 to 3 hours. My car is always packed with a multitude of things so all I need to do is take the desired rod(s) from the garage and I am away. Needless to say they are already made up and just broken down.

Knowing your venue obviously makes a big difference & prebaiting can stacks things heavily in your favour (pre-bait at the same time you intend to fish is my advice). Picking the right times to fish make a big difference too...fishing for 1 hour at dusk can be better than fishing all afternoon in the heat of the day.

Choosing somewhere close to home also helps. No point travelling 2 hours each way for 1 hours fishing. Keep it close for short sessions.

I did rush off for a few hours fishing a couple of weeks ago. I went in such a rush I left my bag of lures at home along with fishery keys. A pleasant 70mile round trip at least it got me out of the house.

Note to self, double check before leaving home. It's alright packing it just remember to take it.

I do that allot with landing nets...leave them to dry in a tree in the garden & forget to put them back in the car after.

Solved that one by now having 2 nets in the car ! ;)

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
I probably got over a hundred waters I could fish so I look in the books and rack the brain to which one would be running through at a perfect pace given the weather and also an ideal distance time could afford me to travel.

Then dad texts to say he want's to go fishing and picks somewhere I think is going to be useless. We then usually have a great day and I consign any clever future ideas to next time, when I will pick a venue that's gonna be 'sock on' only to find it a trickle, full of people and the other side of an m25 jam :)

slaphead

Reaction score
I go fishing. :D

With whatever I remember to take with me, not what I have forgotten.

What I have forgotten, in the past, has been bait, reel and landing net. :eek:

Must do more planning. :eek:mg:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Derek,

I usually have a plan, it has normally coincided with weather conditions.

So I'm still carping at the moment, next it will be Perch, then Barbel and in the winter it will be Pike and Chub ( BIG CHUB ).

To this mix I add on a couple of trips Grayling fishing, the weather has to be clement or I will not go.

Weather conditions are the main factor for me and I plan my species around those prevailing conditions.

Bob

john step

Reaction score
Life seems to conspire at times to keep one away from the waterside.
It would be a luxury to plan and take advantage of weather conditions that would be suitable to this or that type of fishing.

However at the moment I find I am the inbetweener generation with grandchildren but also very old parents that are taking a lot of time and emotional stress.

I normally grab sessions at very short notice. I did however indulge in 4 days away last week to fish which was great.
I came back to find my 90 yr old mother had broken her leg!

So the reply to the thread question is really make the most of my time and grab at opportunities that occur and be grateful for my good health that allow such trips to the water as there are others less fortunate with health issues who cannot.

Hope that's not too wet a post.

laguna

Reaction score
Always ready to go depending on species, session length and time of year...

I have a sit down for the day river kit, a roving day river kit, a canal and small pond kit, a 24hour lake kit, a 2-3 day kitchen sink kit and a sea fishing kit - minus the boat!

Bait, whatever I can nick from the stock room :wh

mikench

Reaction score
I know the feeling John! How can you say to elderly parents that you cannot come over to check the tyre pressures on Dad's car( he shouldn't be driving but that is another story) because you are going fishing. Ok you can but you then feel guilty all day! Also the reason they put forward is often an excuse to see you, to get you to take them somewhere or go shopping for them.

I look at my Dad and see several images at once; him at 89 now old and frail, him through my eyes when I was 10 , 50 and all ages in between. You have to make the most of them. No grandchildren as yet!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
If I'm planning a t fishing session then I will plan my tactics and bait - then have a back up plan and baits - but sometimes if it's the spare of the moment it's grab a bit of gear and some bait and go

john step

Reaction score
I know the feeling John! How can you say to elderly parents that you cannot come over to check the tyre pressures on Dad's car( he shouldn't be driving but that is another story) because you are going fishing. Ok you can but you then feel guilty all day! Also the reason they put forward is often an excuse to see you, to get you to take them somewhere or go shopping for them.

I look at my Dad and see several images at once; him at 89 now old and frail, him through my eyes when I was 10 , 50 and all ages in between. You have to make the most of them. No grandchildren as yet!

Yes its sad to see them as they are now. What compounds it for me and my brother is that we both live a good 3 1/2 hours away. The reality is that it can't go on forever.

mikench

Reaction score
It is difficult John. My parents live 70 miles away and it is about 1.5 hours there and the same back. They live in a lovely place called Lytham so it is nice to spend a day there anyway. I know I will not have them for very much longer!

Without departing too much from fishing, mum had a stroke about 3 years ago but has made a very good recovery but suffers from memory loss and delusions about seeing her long dead parents. She asked my sister who I do not really get on with" do you remember your real dad" classic!!:)

I plan to have a go fishing from the breakwater this winter!