New Carp Record

steve2

Reaction score
I see that it as gone again. This time with a fish that appears to have been bred to break the record. No different to those monster trout from years ago but should they count as fishing records or just records of how big fish farmers can grow fish.
Do these fish records mean anything any more?

greenie62

Reaction score
Not surprised to hear it was introduced as a 74lb fish and had lost weight on capture a short time later! :eek: Wonder where the weight went? A load of carp (anag.) maybe? :D

mikench

Reaction score
When I see a fully scaled common of around 10lb or so I see a thing of beauty. This appearance will clearly apply to bigger specimens but I have yet to catch them!

When I see a 50lb plus carp I see something bloated, distended and ugly and have no desire to catch one. They are not natural and but for the buoyancy of water would live a very short life. You could have a 10lb chicken if you wanted!

Now a 3lb roach.......!

barbelboi

Reaction score
Due to it's dodgy past will it be passed as a new record? The main rule for a record carp is that it must have a name (every record fish since DW's has had a name) the other 'must' is that the previous record fish must have died first (again, every record fish since DW's fish has died before the next one is caught)..................No, can't be a record - the Parrot's still alive.........;)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ignoring the idiots on (un)social media and those who are now making death threats against the lad who caught this fish . . . . yes honestly he has been receiving death threats FFS!

Now, the Rules of the BRCF Committee make no distinction between "natural" or "reared" coarse fish. Although, there is a distinction made for Game fish, thus:

"The species of fish, the weight and if a game fish whether a natural or cultivated fish or in the case of the Rainbow Trout whether a cultivated, resident or wild fish,"

This capture also prompts the question of: when does a reared fish become a "natural" fish (if ever?) and, if so, how long does that take following its' stocking into a new venue?

Personally, if I tried really, really hard I might become slightly less ambivalent about record fish, but reading stories like the death threats against this lad, do absolutely nothing to change my views . . . . .

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
This capture also prompts the question of: when does a reared fish become a "natural" fish (if ever?) and, if so, how long does that take following its' stocking into a new venue?

Personally, if I tried really, really hard I might become slightly less ambivalent about record fish, but reading stories like the death threats against this lad, do absolutely nothing to change my views . . . . .

Unbelievable, whatever is the world coming to!.:confused:

B

binka

First I've heard of it and if the reports of death threats against the captor are true then you really have to ask yourself if those idiots making them actually enjoy their fishing if it matters that much to them? :confused:#

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
First I've heard of it and if the reports of death threats against the captor are true then you really have to ask yourself if those idiots making them actually enjoy their fishing if it matters that much to them? :confused:#

The threats have apparently been made not only to him, but also to his girlfriend an their child!!!!

Revealed: How Britain's angling community is at war as dad receives DEATH THREATS over 'biggest ever carp catch' - Mirror Online

Stop the world, I want to get off . . . . . .

dicky123

Reaction score
Yea I arrived at the lake set up my Nash bivvi. Sodded up 3 kilo of CC Moore secret mix 3m along with Hinders pellet mix.

My 3 Free Spirit rods, with Daiwa long range reels, I cast Six foot from the far bank, some twenty yards away. My hooks Drennan continental were pre-sharpened with the new easy tool, from Korda.

Late into the night as I was drinking my Bovril, the new Terry Hearn buzzers sounded out, and as I picked up the rod a heavy fish made the Korum line sing.

The long reach landing need and handle from Gardner was ideal for the record fish. Weighted on the Salters, I was officially given the new record.

Thanks to all my friends, family Anglers mail for taking the pictures.

The new Gudgeon record now stands at 0.6.0:wh

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
******. I'll always wonder what picked up my banded maggot on 0.5 lb hooklink in future.

And despite all this please form an orderly queue with your 250 a day lotto ticket at the lake.
Next available dates January 2018.

Or until its dead.

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Thing is its a news article in a red top about things said on social media, should we be surprised?

It would only take one person going too far and you have a better news story than just a record carp which wouldn't get any column inches outside the angling press.

mikench

Reaction score
Agreed! I cannot get my head around the angler being both an investment banker and sponsored! I wonder if the latter occurred when the story broke ;)

....and newspapers wonder why their readership is in decline!

john step

Reaction score
Thing is its a news article in a red top about things said on social media, should we be surprised?

It would only take one person going too far and you have a better news story than just a record carp which wouldn't get any column inches outside the angling press.

That's true. If its in the Mirror it must be true!!!!!!!!!!

sam vimes

Reaction score
People attach far too much importance to records, especially amongst the bigger species (carp, barbel, pike etc). Catching a record does not automatically confer angling greatness on the captor. Being a record does not indicate any particular lineage or provenance to the fish concerned.

All that a record shows is that it's the biggest of its species caught on rod and line in the UK, nothing more. Only when others give it greater significance than that do any problems arise. There's no doubt that some record fish have been caught by good anglers, after a lot of effort. However, many records have been caught by getting lucky. The angler getting lucky may have put in no particular effort and may not come close to being considered a good angler.

Am I suggesting that everyone should aspire to catching this particular carp? Not at all. There's something not quite cricket about the whole thing as far as I'm concerned. However, I'll treat it with the same indifference as I do every record. Sure, the captor may milk it for all it's worth. I'm sure that the fishery and a few manufacturers will definitely try to milk it. That'll have no bearing whatsoever on me.

On top of all that, at what point does a fish cease to be a specially reared fish, 8oz, 1lb, 2lb, 5lb, 10lb, 20lb, 30lb........? The vast bulk of the carp in the UK are farm reared and stocked. Sure, most are stocked at relatively low weights, but what's the ethical difference between an artificially stocked fish going in at 20lb and 70lb?

greenie62

Reaction score
That's true. If its in the Mirror it must be true!!!!!!!!!!

IF True to form - they've probably got his age and occupation wrong as well - the Harry Potter look-a-like seems to be about 12!!

Just waiting for the Caption Competition so I can enter:
12-year old Harry, who caught the monster in Hogwarts Estate Lake - commented: "Fishing - Magic!"

Dear Editor - Please consider that one entered!:cool:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I follow changes in some fish records with interest because they appear to show long term changes to the potential size of fish in UK waters - eg Chub, Bream, Tench. But i draw the line of total indifference to any species where fast growing strains are stocked or they are stocked at specimen sizes. Carp, Rainbow Trout, Mongolian catfish, yellow bellied Ide etc ....I couldnt care less what the record is.

robtherake

Reaction score
The comments I've seen reek of envy, reading between the lines. Can't believe I've ever looked at the captor of any big fish in AT and thought, "I'll kill that b*****d for doing that!"

Prior to social media this sort of vitriol might have been spouted in bars or on the bankside, but never made the news. The mentality that infects these idiots was always there, but now it's public and around the whole world before you can spit.

steve2

Reaction score
To me carp fishing today on waters stocked with nothing but big carp isn’t fishing its carp catching.
I remember reading a story in one of the angling magazine years ago where the future of fishing was lakes divided up into sections. Each section held different size carp the price you paid depended on the size of fish you wanted to catch.
At the time we said it wouldn’t happen, it’s as now.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well records don't mean that much anymore, due to the circus chasing after every record fish that gets caught. It then comes out a couple of weeks later an ounce or two bigger. We have seen it with Barbel and carp over and over in the past 10 years, and it will carry on.

The lad has caught a fish that could be a record, is it his fault ?? The muppets who have fished for it and failed are now jealous of his catch, thats it. So now they want to kill him.

Many waters now have fish that have been reared and stocked, they may be smaller and grown on, but they are still reared, so where do you draw the line ??

It will be hard for the BRFC to turn down this fish, unless they take the same action on Carp as they did with Catfish, and remove the Carp record from the record list, on the same grounds that many Carp have been stocked illegally.

No doubt the Circus are at the lakes gates right now, having a go at a new record Carp.