Free spool reels

mikench

Reaction score
These are probably dumb questions but I will ask them anyway ;

1. I assume that the drag settings on a free spool reel are irrelevant when it is set to free spool mode ie the line can leave the spool at will whether being pulled by a fish or a trotting float?

2. If I am wrong do you slacken off the drag completely when in free spool mode?

3. Is a free spool reel set in free spool mode competent for trotting a float and would the emission of line need manual help?

4. Finally when the line is reeled in and the free spool mode is deactivated does the drag setting previously dialled in then kick in?

Thanks as always for your trusted and valued advices!:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
1. I assume that the drag settings on a free spool reel are irrelevant when it is set to free spool mode ie the line can leave the spool at will whether being pulled by a fish or a trotting float?

On a reputable baitrunner type reel, freespool is a bit of a misnomer. They don't run entirely free. The tension of the freespool setting should be adjustable.

2. If I am wrong do you slacken off the drag completely when in free spool mode?

Drag settings should remain unaltered. Tension of the freespool mode should be independently adjustable.

3. Is a free spool reel set in free spool mode competent for trotting a float and would the emission of line need manual help?

In my opinion, no. It's not what they had in mind for baitrunner type reels. I know that none of the baitrunners I own would run free enough to trot a float properly.

4. Finally when the line is reeled in and the free spool mode is deactivated does the drag setting previously dialled in then kick in?

The freespool mode should deactivate as soon as the handle is turned. Once the freespool is deactivated, either by manually flicking the switch or turning the handle, the full drag settings should kick in.

mikench

Reaction score
Thank you Sam! I had a mental deliberation as to who would be likely to reply first and accurately. I was right!:)

How is the tension adjusted? I have a shimano St6000! I ask because I didn't know there was an element of adjustment!

sam vimes

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the ST6000 (RA/RB) is a rear drag baitrunner. At the back end, it should have the main drag adjuster. Just forward of that, between the main drag and the body of the reel, there should be an independent adjustment ring. Turn that all the way to the left for its lightest setting and all the way to the right for the strongest setting.

Last edited: