TGF Classic Centrepin

robertroach

Reaction score
I bought one of these just over a year ago and it has been really good in every way for trotting the stream so I have been very happy with it.

Only problem is the ratchet spring which has broken, even though the reel has not been misused. I bought a couple of spares but they don't look as they will last the distance either. A good reel spoilt by a small piece of really naff engineering.

Hundreds of these must have been sold. Anyone else had this problem, or thought of a solution?

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Hi Rob

I've got the same reel, however I've had no such similar problems.

Just curious, how often do you have the ratchet on whilst using it? I use my classic exclusively for trotting. During use, I very rarely actually have the ratchet on... maybe if I was walking from one spot to another. Or maybe whilst baiting up (though to be honest, most of the time then I either hold the reel with my thumb or sort of clutch it in to my chest to stop the reel revolving).

Do you put the ratchet on whilst playing fish?

robtherake

Reaction score
Had mine a few years now without trouble. It's mainly used for margin carp fishing with the drag disengaged after the take.

paul80

Reaction score
Had mine a few years now without any issues, only use the ratchet to stop it spinning in the bag or when walking around though.

Still think they are the best pin in that price range by a long way, coming close to pins costing 4 times as much. I have a Youngs Heritage Reel as well and the TF-Gear one is a smoother spinner than the Heritage is. Not that Youngs reels are as good as they used to be so older ones will probably be better than their newer offereings. Especially if the rumours of Youngs having all their parts machined in China now are true :wh

Paul

robertroach

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

I only use the ratchet when I'm not actually fishing. Just saves the reel spinning by accident when I put the rod down. So I'm flicking it on and off quite frequently but really the ratchet is never used in anger. I just use my thumb on the spool if I'm playing a fish and the ratchet is off.

But glad to hear some of you are not having my problems, maybe I have just been unlucky!

iain t

Reaction score
Am the same never had a problem. Even i possible don't use it as much as others. The only time i use the ratchet is when am having a cuppa of a fag

Rob Ellis

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect this topic after so long but my TF Gear Classic Pin has suffered the dreaded broken ratchet spring. I know that they have been long discontinued but does anyone know where I could get a spare spring?

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect this topic after so long but my TF Gear Classic Pin has suffered the dreaded broken ratchet spring. I know that they have been long discontinued but does anyone know where I could get a spare spring?
I had a quick look on eBay…… One reel for sale with a broken ratchet spring I’m afraid.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I would suggest that you look out for a proper old school clock maker/repairer. However, if you do find one, you may need to provide a picture of an unbroken one fitted to a reel and/or the remnants of the broken spring.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I believe that The Tackle Box in Dartford can supply these. 01322 292400 worth a phone call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
I’ve had the same problem this summer! How have you got on with “The tackle box”?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk