Tackle, a time of reflection.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
As the season slowly draws to a close, at least for those who may be considering putting away the gear during the colder months, how many will be reflecting on any deficiancy experienced with regards to tackle or technique.

Perhaps a rod or reel better suited for the purpose, a better chair, line etc. We anglers are born optimists and as such are constantly re-evaluating our equipment or techniques, based on our success levels, at least I believe so.

But what about you?

mikench

Reaction score
I have already re-evaluated my tackle Derek and in particular my clothing and wet weather gear to enable me to realistically continue through the autumn and winter. My new brolly, a snood, beanie hat, hand warmer and gloves have already persuaded me out when previously i would have stayed at home.

Santa is bringing a new waterproof jacket and bib and brace, new boots and other things. There could be a new rod and a center pin!:)

I am going to give bread and punch a better evaluation as a bait! I will also use worm more often. I am still on that very long learning curve!;)

thecrow

Reaction score
After reading the thread on centerpins I might just be tempted to purchase one to see what its all about, wont be spending a lot on it mind just in case ;) would like to try one for trotting which I haven't done for a long time, it will be difficult as I have a very shaky right hand but I reckon I can find a way.

My barbel rods have about 12 inches of white at the tip which I don't like and as I don't nightfish any more I don't need, thinking of changing the white to a darker colour.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Like many I think I am constantly evaluating the tackle and clothing that I regularly use.

Recently I tested out a couple of Snowbee fly lines against my usual Hardy's and found them to be very, very, good, so I will be changing over to those on all of my fly reels pretty soon, and definitely in time for the coming season.

Other than that my outer clothing, which I am always on the look out for anything that keeps me warmer or more dry, but so far have never found anything to better my Drifish waterproof.

This year I found a few little bits and pieces of kit that make life a lot more simple, like the Guru Punch Box that is an excellent addition as it keeps the slice fresh and comes complete with a good set of punches integral to the box. The spare slices I keep in Zip-Loc bags in my bait carryall.

Guru Punch Box Set | Ted Carter

seth49

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a pair of Shimano aero 4000s to go with my nine ft carp rods. They look good, I might have a look at one later, when I go to the tackle shop,need to pick some casters etc for tomorrow.

I'll see what sort of a deal he will do me on a pair, he's good that way, I won't buy online, I like to see and handle what I'm going to buy.
The wifes paying for one,and I'll treat myself to the other.
Early Christmas present :).

john step

Reaction score
My barbel rods have about 12 inches of white at the tip which I don't like and as I don't nightfish any more I don't need, thinking of changing the white to a darker colour.

How about a nice deep pink with glitter overlay:D

greenie62

Reaction score
... when I go to the tackle shop,need to pick some casters etc for tomorrow...

See - no need for "a time of reflection" - it gets you every time you walk into a tackle shop! :eek:mg:

seth49

Reaction score
Like many I think I am constantly evaluating the tackle and clothing that I regularly use.

Recently I tested out a couple of Snowbee fly lines against my usual Hardy's and found them to be very, very, good, so I will be changing over to those on all of my fly reels pretty soon, and definitely in time for the coming season.

Other than that my outer clothing, which I am always on the look out for anything that keeps me warmer or more dry, but so far have never found anything to better my Drifish waterproof.

This year I found a few little bits and pieces of kit that make life a lot more simple, like the Guru Punch Box that is an excellent addition as it keeps the slice fresh and comes complete with a good set of punches integral to the box. The spare slices I keep in Zip-Loc bags in my bait carryall.

Guru Punch Box Set | Ted Carter

Hi peter. Yes the snobee lines are good,I have a couple,there as good or better than most, reasonable price too.
Got the guru punch box as well, good piece of kit

john step

Reaction score
Having got my pike gear out again for the winter I remembered how I wasn't satisfied with my selection of shop bought floats.
I have ordered a quantity of new wine corks and will fashion my own to just how I like them.

I realise many of you will have your own ready supply of wine corks:w but as I rarely imbibe I have to lash out a few pennies buy them:eek:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I usually travel light not taking spares of anything. I am not going to change that but having a reel handle break a few weeks ago and although this has never happened before I am considering taking a spare reel in the future. Also, I reuse hooks quite a lot and sea fishing I have missed a few fish that I consider could have been down to blunt hooks so I am going to check them more often and change more frequently.
Apart from that my sheer brilliance at not catching anything will continue to circumvent any changes as always. I hope so because I am at the stage of life that I cannot cope with too many changes.

Last edited:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
It reels for me. I have three Okuma interceptor baitrunners - 2 x 40 sized and 1 x 50 sized - that have done an awful lot of feeder or carp fishing over the last 10 or 12 years. And now they all grind a bit on the retrieve, nothing to make me think they're about to pack up, but it must be coming at some point.

I had bought a couple of wychwood solace 10s - secondhand on ebay - which seemed decent enough to begin with but then a trip to a reasonably high and fast river wye in the summer had me wishing I'd bought from new as one of them had some proper issues on a retrieve. (Which may have been the handle, as that's subsequently broken completely.....)

I do like the wychwood ACS line clip, I've used it a far bit and it mostly works ok. The problem I'm having is really narrowing in on what the reels will be used for MOST.... carping on buzzers, feeder fishing on small slow rivers, feeder fishing on fast rivers? Should I try to buy a high quality jack of all trades? or maybe a few different things that would cover all the bases better...

Shimano? Daiwa? Wychwood or all the others? Makes my brain ache even thinking about it!

theartist

Reaction score
I see the season as just getting going, we still got exactly four months left if my maths is right. Just replaced my line with some fresh stuff, got a new fleece hoodie to test and the only reflecting i'm going to have is that low sun on the water.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Hi peter. Yes the snobee lines are good,I have a couple,there as good or better than most, reasonable price too.
Got the guru punch box as well, good piece of kit

I've been using Snowbee lines for years. They are excellent though the tip does have a tendency to sink after a while....which is fine for the sort of fishing I do. Guideline are good too.

I'm really struggling to think of anything I need in terms of tackle...be that new or upgrade. Wont stop me buying something...I just don't know what it is yet.

greenie62

Reaction score
...Which may have been the handle, as that's subsequently broken completely.....

At long last! - A genuine reason for double-handles on FS reels! - it reduces the chance of breakage by 50%!
Doubt S-Kippy will be converted though! :eek::eek:mg:

B

binka

I'm fairly content with everything in all fairness, I'm sure there must be something that fell short given all the whinging I do when it does but I just can't think of anything at the moment.

More tackle would always be welcome though, regardless of whether I need it or not :)

If anyone were brave enough to develop and market such a beast as an eighteen foot big river pike rod I would be throwing my money at 'em before they could say 'paternoster rig' :)

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I would like a New Splitcane rod and another centrepin, not because I need them, but because I just fancy them.

A medium lottery win should sort me out as I have more than enough splitcane rods and centrepins.

It's just nice to have a play with something new, which I suspect effects most anglers !!

Bob

mikench

Reaction score
Having got my pike gear out again for the winter I remembered how I wasn't satisfied with my selection of shop bought floats.
I have ordered a quantity of new wine corks and will fashion my own to just how I like them.

I realise many of you will have your own ready supply of wine corks:w but as I rarely imbibe I have to lash out a few pennies buy them:eek:

You should have said John as i could send you dozens hic!:wh